Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two desires for my Bolt:

1. Disable the intro/welcome movie that plays when you sit down (car not on). I think it is clunky and annoying and slows down my transition to turn the car ON.
2. More braking power when using the brake paddle. I always drive in L but I want to be able to use the paddle more at higher speeds. It is pretty weak above 30 miles per hour.

Otherwise- I am a very happy owner! Thank you, GM!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I have two desires for my Bolt:

1. Disable the intro/welcome movie that plays when you sit down (car not on). I think it is clunky and annoying and slows down my transition to turn the car ON.
2. More braking power when using the brake paddle. I always drive in L but I want to be able to use the paddle more at higher speeds. It is pretty weak above 30 miles per hour.

Otherwise- I am a very happy owner! Thank you, GM!
No need to wait for the slash screen to power up. The regen paddle works the same at all speeds.
You are feeling the difference based on speed VS regen limits. IIRC, it's limited to 70kw.
It feels stronger at lower speeds because the input is less. Higher speeds increase the input.

You just need to adapt to how the car functions and get use to it's design, setup, limitation parameters, and thresholds.

·
Registered
624 Posts
as far as the intro movie, you can at least turn off the sound - go to the radio settings, and turn off audio cues.

caveat - it'll still play sometimes. the software is pretty buggy.

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
borkbork.

"you can at least turn off the sound - go to the radio settings, and turn off audio cues."

It works! Thanks so much. I hated that. Now if only we could turn off the logo intro video too.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My experience is...... don't wait for the screen. Push power button and then put in gear, in less than a second your moving. Start up screen is not stopping you from driving. It's 3x faster than a ICE.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Now if only we could turn off the logo intro video too.
I have a feeling that one of the functions of the start-up video is to make it look like something is happening while the system initializes itself. If you could disable the video the alternative might be to just have a blank screen display for the same length of time, which might not be a particularly great improvement.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
My experience is...... don't wait for the screen. Push power button and then put in gear, in less than a second your moving. Start up screen is not stopping you from driving. It's 3x faster than a ICE.
You got it. Car on, parking break off, reverse, quick as you can push the buttons you're on your way. Intro video is still playing while I'm driving down the street! :cool:

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
Sean Nelson,

"I have a feeling that one of the functions of the start-up video is to make it look like something is happening while the system initializes itself. If you could disable the video the alternative might be to just have a blank screen display for the same length of time, which might not be a particularly great improvement."

Yes. It has a lot to do on startup.

"Thumbing the Start button on a Bolt EV sets in motion an extensive diagnostics test of 1,400 items, as the central controller queries the 35 sub controllers (a Cruze uses about 20), checking for open or crossed circuits too much or not enough circuit resistance, etc. It’s typically completed in less than 0.5 second."

http://www.motortrend.com/news/chevrolet-bolt-ev-engineers-reveal-11-cool-facts-car-year/

·
Registered
592 Posts
Correct, the Infotainment at least is booting up. I suspect the traction control is always booted, or at least the boot time is instantaneous. That might be FPGA based, I'd guess they'd not put traction on any OS (even RT). Anyhow this is why you can start driving even though the car is still booting.

I've seen that the Infotainment can become sluggish at times. Not often, but yesterday I wondered if it was locked up, but it was just slow to respond due to something (network/phone connection, hardware polling, ...)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts