Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, all! First post as a new member who’s been lurking for a little while. The name here is Joel, from North Carolina. Good info here, thx! Got our Bolt in mid-December 2017, but one that had been on the lot a while, prolly off the line in early spring 2017. Got a good deal, well under MSRP.

We’ve been very happy with the Bolt so far, putting around 1500 miles on it in the month we’ve had it. Installed a JuiceBox Pro 40 EVSE at the house that works well (and is Alexa-enabled referring to another thread ?)

I wanted to get the Bolt updated to the current software version from 13.4, not because anything was broken, but mainly to enable future OTA upgrades, and because software has become increasingly important in vehicle operations. I’ve read here about downloading and doing a self upgrade, but I wanted to do it “officially.” This is not from a lack of familiarity with software...I’ve got a graduate degree in Computer Science and gray hair from years in the field with writing more code, sysadmining more systems, and managing more staff than I care to remember. Rather, it was the thought that if I “bricked” the car, my wife would kill me...or maybe that I have something against downloading code without an official checksum for validating that it’s not been altered. Anyway...

My wife took the Bolt to the local dealership today (not where we bought the bolt but did buy my Silverado ?) to get this done. The issue is that they claimed GM would not reimburse them if we didn’t have an identifiable complaint. So they said it would be $198. My wife called me, and I told her to tell them that Android Auto displayed black bars on the side at 13.4 (we are iPhone folks, but it’s still a defect). They were happy with that and wrote it up and did the upgrade free (as it should be).

Anyway, I thought I’d post this in case anyone else ran into this situation with their local dealership.

-Joel

PS: apologies for any autocorrect typos...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Very interesting information. Thanks for sharing your experience.

I guess I share your attitude about self administering the update. I'm certainly capable. Nothing compelling in the upgrade for me (iPhone user), so I'm waiting until I have reason to be in the dealership. Not surprisingly, that might not be until the tire rotation is due (7500 miles), but because I've enjoyed driving it so much I'm already at 4600 miles at just under 3 months. So it probably won't be all that long.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
It's a valid excuse complaining about those black bars. I didn't know about the black bar issue until after I left the dealer lot. I've been meaning to get the update done but lazy and they don't bother me that much. What does bother me, is when my passengers point it out. It gets embarrassing then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Joel,
I too wanted the update to 14.2.4 and have just spent 3 hrs at Hendrick Chevrolet here in Durham, NC, waiting to be told that there is no such update. Am I frustrated? You betcha. I have a call in to the dealer in Raleigh where I bought the Bolt and I will soon find out what they have to say. In the meantime, can you tell the name and location of the dealer where you had success?
Thanks, BenK
Durham, NC

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hi Joel,
I too wanted the update to 14.2.4 and have just spent 3 hrs at Hendrick Chevrolet here in Durham, NC, waiting to be told that there is no such update. Am I frustrated? You betcha. I have a call in to the dealer in Raleigh where I bought the Bolt and I will soon find out what they have to say. In the meantime, can you tell the name and location of the dealer where you had success?
Thanks, BenK
Durham, NC
14.2.4 or 14.4.2? 14.4.2 is the real one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mea culpa. Either I copied someone else’s typo or I need a new transistor in my brain. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, my closest dealer says that I have the latest version, 14.1. If next closest dealer gives me the same story, what should be my next move? I agree that the problem with Android Auto is only a slight annoyance, but this issue is a matter of principle and needs resolution.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Two weeks in for me since self-upgrade. The screen lockups that prompted me to fix it have not happened again, so far.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mea culpa. Either I copied someone else’s typo or I need a new transistor in my brain. Thanks for the correction. Anyway, my closest dealer says that I have the latest version, 14.1. If next closest dealer gives me the same story, what should be my next move? I agree that the problem with Android Auto is only a slight annoyance, but this issue is a matter of principle and needs resolution.
BenK,
I got my Bolt from Hendrick in early December and just checked...I'm at 14.1.0 (or something like that). I'd like to keep up with what you've done after they said incorrectly said you were up to date. Have you tried doing it on your own as suggested above? If you've found another dealer that has a clue, please pass along the name. I'm in Chapel Hill.

I've got an iPhone, so I guess the update isn't really critical for me, but I'd like to get updates in the future. I'm with you...it's the principle of it!

--Sarah

·
Registered
31 Posts
I spent an hour or two with the dealer this AM and the calibrations (which as a softy, I read as 'patches') appear to be current. That is, the most recent software available claims already to be installed, if the calibration number is to be trusted. That folks claim the calibration fixes it makes me wonder if Chevy somehow released two different 'versions' of the calibration/patch but released them with the same number. As a result, it doesn't look to the dealer system like an update is required/available...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Upgrade of software to 14.4.2

BenK,
I got my Bolt from Hendrick in early December and just checked...I'm at 14.1.0 (or something like that). I'd like to keep up with what you've done after they said incorrectly said you were up to date. Have you tried doing it on your own as suggested above? If you've found another dealer that has a clue, please pass along the name. I'm in Chapel Hill.

I've got an iPhone, so I guess the update isn't really critical for me, but I'd like to get updates in the future. I'm with you...it's the principle of it!

--Sarah
SUCCESS!! As I said in my last, Hendrick Chevy of Southpoint was a washout, and the service people that I dealt with there didn't seem to care a lot. My next step was to go to the service department of the place where I bought the Bolt, Sir Walter in Raleigh. Since I live in Durham, it is 22 miles away, but the trip did not require more than 25 minutes, even with traffic lights. My service there compared to Hendrick was as different as night and day. My advisor, Christian, and the technician were able to find the software update rapidly and they had me out of there and on the road in less than an hour and a half. Just as others have reported in the forum, Android Auto now fills the whole display and everything else seems to be in tip-top shape.

- - BenK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great! I assume they did it for free.
How did you get them to do it: Did they just do it because it was available to be updated or did they do it as a "fix for your Android Auto problem?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re upgrade to 14.4.2 at my dealer

I simply told them that I had tried to get this upgrade at Hendrick in Durham who were not very helpful, but I also showed them some items from this forum that proved that the upgrade did, in fact, exist. That may have turned the trick.

I hope that Chevy USA monitors this forum and makes changes designed to please its customers. One example that bothers me is that in previously owned vehicles I have always been able to make a phone call while driving, simply by pushing the voice prompt button on the steering wheel and saying “Call So-and-So”. Their hands-free system would then automatically dial the number. It appears to me, however, that the best that the Bolt can do is to bring up the contacts list and then expect the driver to find a name on the center display and poke it with one’s finger. Even in the favorites list that can be a dangerous action because you have to shift your gaze to the screen.
Am I missing something in the user guide? Should I be able to dial completely hands-free without having to subscribe to OnStar which is a rip-off in price?

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
...in previously owned vehicles I have always been able to make a phone call while driving, simply by pushing the voice prompt button on the steering wheel and saying “Call So-and-So”.
I just use Android Auto to do this. Just say "Hey Google", and then "Call xxxxxx". If you have more than one number listed for that person in your contacts, AA will ask (for example) "Home or Mobile?".

You can send text messages this way too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts