Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're flying to Utah soon to pick up our 2017 Bolt Premier, which will be a blessed change from the 2013 Volt we sold yesterday. The Volt was fun, but I couldn't handle the 44 mile summer range any more. Been reading the threads with great interest.The 930 mile trip back to Washington state will be an interesting trial by fire.
We are retired folks, my wife was a nurse and I was a bush pilot in Africa for Mission Aviation Fellowship, helping out the local churches and missionaries.
We're using our 40 roof mounted solar panels on our house to feed our Bolt, and it's been great to have them installed since 2010. I'm using PlugShare to plan out our trip from Utah, hope I'm doing it right. Sounds like the biggest thing will be finding actual functioning chargers, and finding high amp flows that won't make us sit there forever getting charged. YouTube has been educational. See y'all on the road!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Just wait at SEATAC for our Salt Lake flight. Nervous, not for flying, but making it in decent time to Burley Idaho motel tonight. Hard to believe we’ll do all this today.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You will do fine. Plan your DCFC stops (DC Level 2 if able; DC Level 1 is still pretty slow for an "on-the-road" charge) at mealtimes, to waste less time. Charge to only 80% for the same reason. If you are staying in a motel enroute, AC Level 2 should fill the batteries overnight. The most common DC Level 2 EVSE is: 400V, 100A, 40kW. The Bolt EV max charging rate is 55kW.

AC Charging SystemsDC Charging Systems
AC Level 1: 120 volt single phase AC up to 16 amps, for up to 1.9 kiloWatt charge rate. Typically this is limited to 12 amps.DC Level 1: 200-450 volts DC up to 36 kiloWatts (80A)
AC Level 2: 240 volt single phase AC up to 80 amps, for up to 19.2 kiloWatt charge rate. Typically this is 32 amps.DC Level 2: 200-450 volts DC up to 90 kiloWatts (200A)
AC Level 3: More than Level 2. A couple car makers make cars supporting three phase AC charging at rates up to 43 kiloWatts.DC Level 3: 200-600 volts DC up to 240 kiloWatts (400A)

·
Registered
46 Posts
As a supplement to what @surgeonFWW replied, I made some videos that will give you a visual explanation of the Bolt's tapering and approximate times of charging and DC fast charging stations. There are three videos that are more or less the same format, the only difference will be different taper points and slightly different charge times. But it will give you a feel for why charging at them above 80% will slow you down. Links below to the different videos:
150 amp (55kw)
125 amp (45kw)
100 amp (35kw)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
pfrost
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing