Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Premier, Nightfall Gray Metallic
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the update to iOS 14.3 over a month ago, I have had problems with my iPhone 11 staying connected to the car via the iOS myChevrolet app. I would much more frequently get this message on my phone when trying to connect that "Unable to connect. Please turn on your vehicle to re-establish connection and try again. If this issue persists, please contact OnStar Support for assistance." This happened before iOS 14.3, but really infrequently.

Seeing that App Store reviews are monitored, I updated an earlier review to make note of this, in order to generate a case number when receiving an email reply from support, which happened within a day or two. As instructed in the email, I contacted OnStar support from within the car using the blue OnStar button to connect. Got a great rep (Will), we did a few things, most of which I tried either before, during, or after our call, including force quitting the app; signing out and back in; signing out, force quit, sign in; sign out, force quit, soft reset the phone, sign back in; delete the app, soft reset, reinstall the app. Nothing was working, so Will escalated it up and said I would hear back in several days. The next morning I surprisingly had an email from LaNika informing me that they sent an update to the vehicle OTA and with instructions to delete the app, reinstall it, and log back into it.

Bingo, it worked, and for a few days all was well. Then, when I was charging the car the estimated completion time kept pushing further and further out, and I never got a notification that it was finished charging, either, but when I went to the car the charging light was solid, so it had completed. Then, in the morning, the app went to pieces and I got all sorts of errors, couldn't reconnect, system errors, failure to retrieve account details, etc. I used the new SMS for support feature, and was basically told to take it to the dealer. I asked if that meant it was a hardware defect or error, and I was told that "someone will be reaching out to you". That was 24 hours ago.

Last night while charging I kept getting varying charging completion estimates. Before charging completed I went and unplugged the car to see if I would get a text notification that "charging was interrupted", but that never came, so I plugged back in to finish charging. I never got a text notification telling me that charging was complete, either, but when I checked the charging light was solid and the charge was complete. Vehicle status in the iOS app correctly reflected that the car was done charging, but no text/SMS notification came for that, either.

SO...has anyone else been having problems with connectivity between their Bolt EV and their iPhone via the myChevrolet app, especially since iOS 14.3 and with the latest iOS app, 4.4.0 (288)? Knowing when the car has completed charging via a text/SMS message is a very useful feature that I rely on, as well as seeking accurate estimates for the completion time.

Thank you!

Font Screenshot Parallel Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
iOS 14.4 (18D52) with myChevy 4.4.0 (288) no issues on an XR. Have not noticed issues on prior iOS versions either.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I got tired of Apple issues and went with Android.
FWIW, the MyChevrolet app does not have a stellar reliability record on Android either. And, last I heard from folks who develop for both platforms, for anything bluetooth-related, Apple's software stack is considered much more robust than Android's.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
iphone 11 pro max, updated to ios 14.3, app is now worthless to me as nothing but issues as Scott K posted.
Thanks for the confirmation. After I posted today I updated to iOS 14.4: same issues. I even removed my phone from the Bolt EV and then re-paired it (I know, the BT connection to the car has nothing to do with the car's OnStar connectivity to the iPhone, but, hey, I'll try anything...). I also removed the Chevrolet MyLink and reconnected CarPlay. I also rebooted the infotainment system.

No difference. At least I have a connection to the car while charging, but I haven't gotten a single SMS update since OnStar Support's LaNika flash updated my car's system OTA last Thursday (my last SMS notification was Charging Complete pre-dawn last Tuesday a week ago).

At this point I am certain that it's the myChevrolet app v4.4.0 (288), as many reviews on the App Store complain about it. I'm certainly not taking it into the dealer until GM issues another app update, as many reviewers note that previous versions worked better, if not fine.

Oh, and I'm driving a '17 Bolt EV Premier with just under 23K miles. And, my iBooster failed about 3 months ago when I was 3 months out of warranty...so when the pandemic eases up I'll take it to the dealer for that annoying, expensive, known prone-to-fail part made by Bosch...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The I— Booster software update for the 17 Bolt, per my dealership, is not available as of yet.
Sometime late first quarter of 2021.
As noticed previously, my unit has been replaced twice, under warranty, and now again, the thumping has returned (one year later).

·
Registered
916 Posts
Ever since v4.2.0 the issues with the mychev app are many. Thankfully I never updated past 4.2.0

Reactions: Scott K.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
2 Posts
Knowing when the car has completed charging via a text/SMS message is a very useful feature that I rely on, as well as seeking accurate estimates for the completion time.
Check the app (if you can connect!) under Vehicle Status, where there should be a Notifications tab under Charge Status. One of the options there is to send SMS event notification for Charge Complete. If that's gotten unchecked, you'd have this problem. Worth taking a look....

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the app (if you can connect!) under Vehicle Status, where there should be a Notifications tab under Charge Status. One of the options there is to send SMS event notification for Charge Complete. If that's gotten unchecked, you'd have this problem. Worth taking a look....
I’ve definitely checked Notifications, it was still enabled. I’ve toggled it on and off several times: no effect.

This must be an OnStar issue, as they can connect to the car, I can connect to the car through the iOS app — intermittently — and Notifications have to be relayed from the car through OnStar to my darn phone number. That link is broken.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The I— Booster software update for the 17 Bolt, per my dealership, is not available as of yet.
Sometime late first quarter of 2021.
As noticed previously, my unit has been replaced twice, under warranty, and now again, the thumping has returned (one year later).
First I’ve heard of an iBooster software update. I’ll just keep putting up with it and look for some kind of fix, since I’ve read about your replacements and their repeated failures.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ever since v4.2.0 the issues with the mychev app are many. Thankfully I never updated past 4.2.0
I hate that we’re unable to downgrade apps in iOS. Back in the pre-iCloud backup days you could get your old app versions from iTunes backups, but that’s long-gone. You bet I wish I never went past v4.2.0. Suckered in by the “bug fixes and performance enhancements.” Auto-update never, ever enabled...

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
671 Posts
I was going to recommend if you ever get the app working, DONT UPDATE IT. Just keep your version unless it forces an update at some point. There is never anything new when they do updates that matter. YMMV.

If it works, dont mess with it. There are many things i have learned that cause all these issues. I finally got mine working after resetting my NETWORK settings on my iphone. Go figure. Since then its been working. The communications errors i got for a year were reset when i got the vehicle to ask me the question about giving it permission to communicate; but that question only came up after I reset my iphone's network settings. It makes no sense to me but it is a crappily programmed app, so I try not to mess with it now that I got it working at long last.

Edit: :rolleyes:
I think it was Settings-->General-->Reset-->Reset Network Settings
Don't blame me if that screws something else up on your phone :) Only sharing what worked for me after I tried everything in the world to get it to communicate with my Bolt for a year.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was going to recommend if you ever get the app working, DONT UPDATE IT. Just keep your version unless it forces an update at some point. There is never anything new when they do updates that matter. YMMV.

If it works, dont mess with it. There are many things i have learned that cause all these issues. I finally got mine working after resetting my NETWORK settings on my iphone. Go figure. Since then its been working. The communications errors i got for a year were reset when i got the vehicle to ask me the question about giving it permission to communicate; but that question only came up after I reset my iphone's network settings. It makes no sense to me but it is a crappily programmed app, so I try not to mess with it now that I got it working at long last.

Edit: :rolleyes:
I think it was Settings-->General-->Reset-->Reset Network Settings
Don't blame me if that screws something else up on your phone :) Only sharing what worked for me after I tried everything in the world to get it to communicate with my Bolt for a year.
Interesting, resetting Network Settings fixed it for you. I hesitate because it wipes out all WiFi passwords and they’ll all have to be reset manually and you can’t even see the saved passwords.

Thank you for the suggestion. Maybe I’ll do an encrypted iTunes backup first, in case that doesn’t work for me and I’d like to restore to the previous state. I’ll report back.

·
Administrator
2,792 Posts
Interesting, resetting Network Settings fixed it for you. I hesitate because it wipes out all WiFi passwords and they’ll all have to be reset manually and you can’t even see the saved passwords.

Thank you for the suggestion. Maybe I’ll do an encrypted iTunes backup first, in case that doesn’t work for me and I’d like to restore to the previous state. I’ll report back.
I haven't done a network reset since iCloud Keychain was implemented, It may sync all of the passwords, once you successfully join one with internet access? It certainly does across all of my devices, and doesn't seem to remove them from all devices when you do the reset.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I hate that we’re unable to downgrade apps in iOS. Back in the pre-iCloud backup days you could get your old app versions from iTunes backups, but that’s long-gone. You bet I wish I never went past v4.2.0. Suckered in by the “bug fixes and performance enhancements.” Auto-update never, ever enabled...
just lucky that I never erased my old iPhone XR and it had the 4.2.0 version. Unplug router, do a backup, restore the app to my iPhone 11 Pro Max and now both have it.
No matter what device....ALWAYS disable auto update. Saves you from issues such as this.

Reactions: Scott K.

·
Registered
2019 Chevy Bolt LT, Cajun Red
671 Posts

What that did for me was to get the Bolt to ask my permission for access again. It's a screen that pops up when you plug into the Bolt the first time. I speculate I somehow bypassed it or it never asked me on my iphone (my wife's phone always worked fine); I could never get it to come back up so it had "permission". If you have that screen/question, then resetting like I did may not help. Before I finally got the permission screen to pop up, it would just spin 'connecting', and eventually it would give me an error.
It was terrible, because my Wife would tease me and hook her phone up to show me how it worked. LOL.
The app doesnt really do much, but i do like to monitor my expected arrival charge 'at home' or 'at work' (which I set as my destination address when road tripping). And it also gives you the % SOC, which I prefer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just today for an error message "could not retrieve account information". I first tried logging out then resetting password with no luck. I then tried forcing the app to stop and clearing the app cache but not the data. This seemed to work. Also I'm on Android. Will update if problem resurfaces. Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts