Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Purchased Bolt two weeks ago and spouse enjoys driving 50 miles round trip. Currently using 120v until electrician can install 240v EVSE. Comments on longer drive trips. Not ONE DCFC in Iowa but did insist on Bolt for future trips out of State. Parents live 140 miles away in rural area but would like to take Bolt on Thanksgiving. Will arrive on Wednesday evening but must return home Thursday evening due to pesky JOB on Friday. 120V will be too slow to increase range to get back home. Parents live on farm with a 240v welder availble. Yet to determine if plug is NEMA 14-50.
Comments: What type of Portable 240v has forum members used or prefer and how to safely adapt and use a NEMA 14-50 PLUG. I still have time to purchase before Thanksgiving. If nothing will work will just drive Prius instead this time.
We have the correct mindset of using Bolt but just like to show to 85 year old parents.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
seriously doubt the welder would be NEMA 14-50. I reserve the right to be wrong on that one. You can use your L1 on 240V with the right home made adapters. Then you get 12 amp 240 charging that gets you nearly 12 miles/hour. You can be fully charged in 24 hours!

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Fully charged on departure = 240 miles. Drive 140, have 100 remaining. Add 80 miles in 16 hours of Level 1 charging to have a 40 mile reserve after the 140 mile return drive. Should be VERY easy. No need to buy a Level 2 EVSE (and make plug adapters) in haste.

PS. Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
seriously doubt the welder would be NEMA 14-50. I reserve the right to be wrong on that one. You can use your L1 on 240V with the right home made adapters. Then you get 12 amp 240 charging that gets you nearly 12 miles/hour. You can be fully charged in 24 hours!
Can confirm the OEM EVSE is pretty good on 240V. I drove to 10% on my Bolt to make sure its battery was good and sat in it watching a movie with heat and the windows down to drain it another 5%. Took me 21 hrs to charge to full on the OEM EVSE with an adapter for 240V.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Can confirm the OEM EVSE is pretty good on 240V. I drove to 10% on my Bolt to make sure its battery was good and sat in it watching a movie with heat and the windows down to drain it another 5%. Took me 21 hrs to charge to full on the OEM EVSE with an adapter for 240V.
Great data point. Thanks for sharing. I'm so happy with the L1 on 240V, that I'll wait till someone is giving away an L2 or until I have some long trip planned where I think I might actually need one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts