Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the new iPhone 12 with MagSafe charging and I was surprised to find that when I put my phone into the wireless charging cradle it actually worked! MagSafe must use whatever charging interface the 2017 module utilizes.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have an iPhone 12 Pro with an Apple Silicone Case and it fits and wirelessly charges in my 2017 Bolt EV Premier. The silicone case has a non-slip surface so it's slow to insert and remove.

I've preordered an Apple magsafe iPhone leather wallet. I'm pretty sure that I will have to remove it before putting the phone into the pocket. It shouldn't be a problem since the wallet magnetically attaches to the phone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I ran a little experiment. I connected the iphone 12 pro to CarPlay outside of the pocket (no wireless charging). I connected a small USB power meter between the cable and USB port. It says the phone draws around 1 amp at around 5 volts. Next, I disconnect the cable and put the phone into the charging pocket and wait until wireless charging starts. Then I reconnect the carplay cable. Wireless charging continues (charging icon remains on the infotainment display) and the USB power meter says 1 amp at 5 volts.

This implies that the phone is simultaneously charged from both power sources. I don't have a method of measuring the power draw from the wireless charger. It's possible it draws less power when a cable is connected.

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
I ran a little experiment. I connected the iphone 12 pro to CarPlay outside of the pocket (no wireless charging). I connected a small USB power meter between the cable and USB port. It says the phone draws around 1 amp at around 5 volts. Next, I disconnect the cable and put the phone into the charging pocket and wait until wireless charging starts. Then I reconnect the carplay cable. Wireless charging continues (charging icon remains on the infotainment display) and the USB power meter says 1 amp at 5 volts.

This implies that the phone is simultaneously charged from both power sources. I don't have a method of measuring the power draw from the wireless charger. It's possible it draws less power when a cable is connected.
Do not ever charge an IPhone with two power sources at the same time!!!!!

It will overheat internally and drastically reduce the life of the battery/components.

slaps your hands
BAD!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
601 Posts

Have a look at this article, where they did a test on exactly this (with an 8 rather than a 12):

It does pull power from both sources, but the net is the same as if you were just plugged into a wall, assuming your charger can charge at the maximum rate for that phone.

There are a variety of articles that say the same thing. I couldn't find an apple KB article quickly.

·
Registered
977 Posts
My 11 pro charges wirelessly with a 2017.
Tried this today with my friends 2017 orange Bolt EV Premier. I myself have a 11 pro. Worked fine as well.....hence why I call BS.

Have a look at this article, where they did a test on exactly this (with an 8 rather than a 12):

It does pull power from both sources, but the net is the same as if you were just plugged into a wall, assuming your charger can charge at the maximum rate for that phone.

There are a variety of articles that say the same thing. I couldn't find an apple KB article quickly.
Yeah well I fix iPhones and it was listed a while back somewhere to NOT dual charge them. I trust that and my experience instead. I am sure that if you Google it a little more that you will come across it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Tried this today with my friends 2017 orange Bolt EV Premier. I myself have a 11 pro. Worked fine as well.....hence why I call BS.

Yeah well I fix iPhones and it was listed a while back somewhere to NOT dual charge them. I trust that and my experience instead. I am sure that if you Google it a little more that you will come across it.
Nah, I'm good. Already googled, and found no such citation. Happy to follow the advice in your signature.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.