Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all. I am the creator of an iPhone app that does a couple of things that would be useful to Bolt owners. They are:
  • Determine status of and enable/disable the "Afterblow" function in your car.
  • Read the remaining "battery life" of your car (not related to charge state).
  • Report on battery cell voltages (including the ability to export a CSV of all voltages).
I would like to find anyone willing to test any or all of these functions (you see, I don't own a Bolt and these functions were originally created for the Volt; I expect they will work just fine on the Bolt).

In order to assist me with this you would need
  1. an iPhone (or iPad)
  2. a WiFi OBD adapter, or an OBDLink MX+ OBD adapter (does not support BLE adapters).
Testing of the Afterblow function requires an OBDLink MX+ or OBDLink MX-WiFi adapter (as these are the only ones on the market which provide the needed access to the GMLan bus). In case you're not familiar with Afterblow, it's a system GM built into your car to help to dry out the air conditioning evaporator to eliminate musty odors. It can be enabled by a dealer, or by using this app.

If you are willing to help, comment below with the type of OBD adapter that you own. I will provide you a coupon to give you free access to the functions in the App. You can take a look at the App itself in the Apple App Store: MyVoltControl

Thanks!

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
864 Posts
I’m usually quite keen to test this sort of thing and I do have an iPhone. Sadly I don't have an OBDLink MX series of adapter yet. The one I have is just a regular OBD-II adapter without access to the GMLan bus, so the afterblow function enabler can't be tried out. I'm guessing that the "battery life" and cell voltage parts are gathered from the usual OBD-II PIDs.

That being said, I went to see how much one of those MX+ adapters cost... and it's 100 bucks. Given the rather unique GMLan interfacing capability, I suppose the price is somewhat justified. Still, it seems tad expensive just for testing a single function out. If the adapter could program something like this, I'd order one right away, though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wesley,
I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that anyone purchase the MX+ for this testing. I’m looking for someone who already owns this.

I would appreciate it if you could test the other two parts of this if you have a WiFi OBD adapter. Let me know.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just this week I bought a Veepeak BLE adapter, which works fine with CarScanner ELM app on my Iphone 7. If you're sure your app won't work with BLE, then I'm not your guy. But if you think it might/could work, I'd be happy to test it for you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Greetings all. I am the creator of an iPhone app that does a couple of things that would be useful to Bolt owners. They are:
  • Report on battery cell voltages (including the ability to export a CSV of all voltages).
I would like to find anyone willing to test any or all of these functions (you see, I don't own a Bolt and these functions were originally created for the Volt; I expect they will work just fine on the Bolt).

1. an iPhone (or iPad)
  2. a WiFi OBD adapter, or an OBDLink MX+ OBD adapter (does not support BLE adapters).
Testing of the Afterblow function requires an OBDLink MX+ or OBDLink MX-WiFi adapter (as these are the only ones on the market which provide the needed access to the GMLan bus). In case you're not familiar with Afterblow, it's a system GM built into your car to help to dry out the air conditioning evaporator to eliminate musty odors. It can be enabled by a dealer, or by using this app.

If you are willing to help, comment below with the type of OBD adapter that you own. I will provide you a coupon to give you free access to the functions in the App. You can take a look at the App itself in the Apple App Store: MyVoltControl

Thanks!

I’m in!

I do have everything you need.

iPad, iPhone, OBDLink MX WiFi and a Bolt 2020.

Best

·
Registered
598 Posts

1. an iPhone (or iPad)

Thanks!
I have the LE Link OBD-ll wi-fi adapter. So let me know. Also iphone and ipad. Could test for you.

·
Registered
2021 Nightfall Gray Metallic Bolt Premier
395 Posts
I have an iPhone 11, Engine Link and this adapter.
Will it work?

LELink Bluetooth Low Energy BLE OBD-II OBD2 Car Diagnostic Tool For iPhone/iPod

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier
864 Posts
Wesley,
I certainly didn’t mean to suggest that anyone purchase the MX+ for this testing. I’m looking for someone who already owns this.

I would appreciate it if you could test the other two parts of this if you have a WiFi OBD adapter. Let me know.
Oh, I’d be happy to test the other two parts. I wonder if my LELink OBD-II adapter is up to the task.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The only LELink adapter I can find are BLE (Bluetooth low-energy). Those provide zero security and are not supported by my app. I appreciate your offers. CGauer I will be in touch.

·
Registered
524 Posts

1. an iPhone (or iPad)

Thanks!
This one?

I will give it a go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
This one?

I will give it a go.
Yes, that’s the one. Please send me an email address. I will send you coupons so you don’t need to pay for the in-app purchases for this.

Thanks for you help!
Edit: Using the private conversation feature for communication.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to the folks who tested this app on their Bolts!

I have now released version 1.4.4 into the App Store. If you have an interest in controlling the Afterblow system in your car, or want to see how well your battery cell balancing is working, or what your battery capacity is, I hope you might try MyVoltControl on your iPhone or iPad. (Sorry...this is not available for Android presently.)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was just made aware of the vgate vLinker line of products. Their vLinker MC-WiFi is also supported for the Afterblow function in this app.
EDIT: One user has tried the vLinker MC+ and it does not work. They are indicating an “unknown command” for something they claim to support (as well as other problems).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh, I’d be happy to test the other two parts. I wonder if my LELink OBD-II adapter is up to the task.
Wesley, I have just released an update to MyVoltControl that supports BLE OBD adapters. Your LELink will probably work now for the battery diagnosis functions. I'm no longer looking for testers, but I hope you'll give it a try.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have the LE Link OBD-ll wi-fi adapter. So let me know. Also iphone and ipad. Could test for you.
Richard, I have just released an update to MyVoltControl that supports BLE OBD adapters. Your LELink will probably work now for the battery diagnosis functions. I'm no longer looking for testers, but I hope you'll give it a try.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts