Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bolties,

I have been using the free data provided by OnStar and I was surprised to see more than 50% was used, even though I have not touched it much.
Long story short, the moment I plug the USB cable to my phone and CarPlay is activated, the blue icon that indicates navigation is active, shows up on the top elf to side of the phone.
How can I use CarPlay without having the phone using navigation automatically?
Usually noise waze and only turn it on to quickly view my path ahead and immediately shut it off. That has saved me a lot of data in the past. Plugging phone to the car it seems will always use its data that way...
OR how can I still plug the phone WITHOUT using CarPlay but keeping it active?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can turn CarPlay off in settings -> General -> CarPlay, but what a PITA. You would have re-pair with the car to use it next time. You can also use setting on the Bolt, which is probably better because you can turn off CP without "un-paring".

I noticed the same thing, but didn't pursue it because I got the unlimited plan. I can't think why this would happen other than some application (Maps is my guess) thinking it's getting it's data from an unlimited wifi and just sucking down everything it can. In my opinion this is an Apple bug as it should know it's plugged into Car Play and thus that any wifi is actually LTE.

Have you tried closing the Maps app on the phone? I don't know how to do that on an X. On an older phone one double clicks the home button, flips through all the running apps and "flicks up" on an app to close it.

Curious to know how you solve this.

Ron

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you tried closing the Maps app on the phone? I don't know how to do that on an X. On an older phone one double clicks the home button, flips through all the running apps and "flicks up" on an app to close it.

Curious to know how you solve this.

Ron

Hi Ron,

Thank you for your response. Yes, I do that same shut down process for Waze and it works like a charm. Unfortunately it shows as if navigation was shutdown but it keeps sucking it dry.... PITA indeed...:crying:

·
Registered
107 Posts
You can turn off background location tracking for the Maps app, so it only reads GPS data when it's on screen. This also means it won't need fresh map data, since it will have whatever was on screen the last time you used the app.

·
Registered
326 Posts
You can turn off background location tracking for the Maps app, so it only reads GPS data when it's on screen. This also means it won't need fresh map data, since it will have whatever was on screen the last time you used the app.
I'd like to know why it's doing this anyway. I makes no practical sense to be downloading data continually for an app that is in the background unless it's doing data collection, like the health app, or selling your every movement, like Google does with Android. I suggest you post something about this on the Apple support forums and see if there is a response. I still think it's a bug.

Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.