Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Apple just released new iPhones with wireless charging capability - finally I can use the Bolt's wireless charging :)
As long as they didn't pull the typical Apple stunt and implement the feature in some way that requires the purchase of their own, proprietary wireless charging dock.

·
Registered
78 Posts
As long as they didn't pull the typical Apple stunt and implement the feature in some way that requires the purchase of their own, proprietary wireless charging dock.
From the keynote address, it looked like they are using the Qi standard. They are, of course, going to make an iPower charging pad though.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yeah it should work as the wireless charger in the Bolt is Qi compatible and the new 8s/X are supposed to work with Qi chargers. I don't think it will matter for me though, I always have my phone plugged in for Carplay.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can confirm with the iPhone 8 at least that wireless charging in the Bolt does not work. I guess the coil is not positioned correctly.

I even pulled the rubber sleeve out and ran the phone against the inside to see if I could find the point where it would connect but it doesn?t. Wireless charging on the phone definitely works though. Just not in the slot for the Bolt.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i've had the same experience. i bought a wireless charger from ikea, and another one from amazon, and they both charge my phone just fine. i can't get it to work in the bolt though. i get an error like something is in the charging pocket, and then it quits trying.

i've also tried removing the liner and holding the phone in different positions, and no luck.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I can confirm with the iPhone 8 at least that wireless charging in the Bolt does not work. I guess the coil is not positioned correctly.

I even pulled the rubber sleeve out and ran the phone against the inside to see if I could find the point where it would connect but it doesn?t. Wireless charging on the phone definitely works though. Just not in the slot for the Bolt.
i've had the same experience. i bought a wireless charger from ikea, and another one from amazon, and they both charge my phone just fine. i can't get it to work in the bolt though. i get an error like something is in the charging pocket, and then it quits trying.

i've also tried removing the liner and holding the phone in different positions, and no luck.

My dealer said that port can be tricky. They've found that phones need to be out of a case, and positioned 'correctly' for it to work reliably.

On the coils I would have hoped that the Qi standard had something to say about placement, if not physics. I took a brief look at the standard, there are reference designs but as typical for widely adopted standards it doesn't say much about physical implementation.

Regardless if it doesn't work oh well. There are plenty of USB ports and you need one for CarPlay anyhow.

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
My iPhone 8 with an otter box cover works fine in my 2018 Premier. It's snug, but charge indicator lights up on the info screen and on the phone. Put it in bottom down and glass facing the driver.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts