Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is quite fascinating. Automakers are lobbying the CARB board to chage Californias ZEV rules to a new formula based on e-miles or something similar.

Tesla is up in arms over it as it threatens their single golden goose.

"The mandate is already far too weak," Diarmuid O'Connell, Tesla's vice president of business development, said in an interview last week at Tesla's headquarters here. "I don't think it was ever conceived that a pure-play electric car company like Tesla could exist, let alone thrive, but we have. The inconvenient truth is that our success has revealed the weakness of the mandate."
What that sounds to me is Tesla is EXTREMELY worried about protecting their sole revenue stream, Tesla still isn't successful as a manufacturer selling ZEV credits in case you haven't been paying attention. Oh you don't believe me?

The problem, Morgan said, is not that the rules are too strict but that they are too lenient, with too many ZEV credits being made available to automakers. He said all automakers could comply from now until 2022 without changing their product mix at all, simply by using their existing credits -- and until 2023 if they bought credits from Tesla to supplement their stockpiles. Morgan said that raises the prospect that only 600,000 electric cars would hit California's roads by 2025, well shy of Gov. Jerry Brown's goal of 1.5 million.
A fascinating twist of irony, the company that wants to save the world is actively trying to keep others from doing the same. Cui Bono my friends, Cui Bono...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Tesla could care less about the environment, but they know its the next step in the automotive industry or one of which they want to clearly take advantage of.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Tesla could care less about the environment, but they know its the next step in the automotive industry or one of which they want to clearly take advantage of.
Tesla cares about the environment as far as that care will help them sell vehicles and make money.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts