Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The IRS started accepting 2017 tax returns today but they have not yet released an updated 8936, “Plug-in Electric Vehicle Credit”, for tax year 2017. There is a preliminary instruction doc on their site but no updated form. Also, the site I use for returns, TaxAct, won’t let me enter info to get my credit because the IRS has not updated the form. What gives? As far as I know, nothing in the forms should have changed from 2016 to 2017.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
The IRS was probably not making any effort to update that form, because there was a very good chance (up until the last week of negotiations) that the credit was going bye-bye. It's why we took delivery of our Premier on Dec. 29th last year. Ends up that it was unnecessary to hurry, but at least we can take the credit earlier.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The IRS was probably not making any effort to update that form, because there was a very good chance (up until the last week of negotiations) that the credit was going bye-bye. It's why we took delivery of our Premier on Dec. 29th last year. Ends up that it was unnecessary to hurry, but at least we can take the credit earlier.
My 2017 TurboTax has the form. I went through the worksheet last night. I could send you a blank, but it has "Preliminary" all over it.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Also, IRS is massively understaffed and using archaic tech.

Reactions: wagimin

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Sean you and I shouldn't be on this thread. We'll inadvertently make comments that are offensive to our American friends. Comments like: so they save money at the IRS so that more can be spent on health care ?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
^ Um, trust me guys... we know how F***ed the IRS is :crying:

When I got my first vehicle (2012 Plug-In-Prius) that was eligible for an ($2,500) IRS Tax credit, I double checked the forms, dotted the i's, crossed the t's, etc... my return was perfect!
Lo and behold, three weeks later my refund came back less the $2,500 credit. I was furious, I phoned the IRS... they kept handing it off to another department, "call back in a week...." they all saw no reason why the $2,500 credit was disallowed. After four or five calls, they finally connected me with one of their tax attorneys... he was also clueless as to why it was disallowed! Everyone said it should go through, there's nothing wrong with your return... but they couldn't find anyone to actually push it through.
Finally almost three months later, I got a check in the mail, with no explanation for $2,500 from the IRS.

The IRS has been messed up for years!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Ironic, since they collect the lion's share of the money that funds all the other departments...
Sean you and I shouldn't be on this thread. We'll inadvertently make comments that are offensive to our American friends. Comments like: so they save money at the IRS so that more can be spent on health care ?
Honestly, I think the well-off congress want to cripple the IRS so they can't audit congress' ill-begotten spoils... </tinfoil hat>

I welcome criticism from our CAN kin, unlike our Cheeto-In-Chief.

Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
[redacted]

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
[redacted]
Sorry. I tried to show a full image picture in post #13 above by embedding IMG+url in the Message-reply area. As a fallback I also threw the same image into the post as an attached file which gets displayed as a thumbnail.

Whether the full image gets displayed, seems to depend on operating system and browser being used. For example I think Google Chrome handles it and displays full image. But Internet Explorer doesn't. IOS devices (Apple) (at least the not-new ones I've got) don't show full image, just the thumbnail.

I could also be the problem in the method I'm using to post picture. Right now with Windows Google Chrome I can select 'Insert Image' from the icons above the Message-reply box (second row of icons, sixth one from the right). Then if I enter the URL of the image (jpg,pgn,etc) as a character string inserted into the message where I want it located, it results in the full image being displayed at viewer end. Provided viewer is using Google Chrome: Doesn't seem to work with Internet Explorer. I don't know about Firefox or Microsoft Edge, etc.

It would be great if the admins could put together a table showing exhaustively: which operating systems+browsers recognize full images and not just thumbnails. I realize this is not an easy task.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Has the EVSE deduction gone bye bye for 2017? I don't see it in Turbo Tax as of the latest update. :(

·
Registered
862 Posts
Has the EVSE deduction gone bye bye for 2017? I don't see it in Turbo Tax as of the latest update. :(
The 30% Federal Tax Credit expired Dec 31, 2016.
It was Form 8911 (not 8936 like the EV Credit).

·
Registered
257 Posts
The 30% Federal Tax Credit expired Dec 31, 2016.
It was Form 8911 (not 8936 like the EV Credit).
Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to take advantage of that for the cost of installing my juicebox. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
It would be great if the admins could put together a table showing exhaustively: which operating systems+browsers recognize full images and not just thumbnails. I realize this is not an easy task.
I've dabbled with web server admin (not by choice) for encapsulating/integrating various existing company web apps and the frameworks they use, and I can tell you it's utter chaos the compatibility with different web browsers. Just reading about different levels of WebSocket support, CSS rendering issues, and unique quirks between browsers is enough to drive anyone insane. I really feel for web admins and developers.

Well that's a bummer. I was hoping to take advantage of that for the cost of installing my juicebox. Oh well.
Me too. When I got the gateway drug (Chevy Volt), I was trying desperately to get quotes from electricians + EVSE costs such that I could take advantage of the EVSE rebate. It was still too expensive. In hind sight, I should've just took the hit and install one before the expiration. A 40A EVSE would've been nice with the Bolt I have now.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
IRS Form availability update: As of this am (2/8/18), the 2017 version of IRS Form 8936 [Qualified Plug-In Electric Drive Motor Vehicle Credit] remains unavailable online. The old (2016) form lists $2500 as the maximum credit per vehicle and should NOT be used! If anyone else HAS found the 2017 Form, please respond with the link. Let's keep this thread active until April 15!

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.