Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set my charge to 80% yesterday just so happens I was in the car when it stopped charging. So I used the app to see the range and this is what I seen. 213 miles 78% charge the air temperature was around 93°. So I gave it a bit of time and re-run the app with the same results.
Screenshot_20200709-113352.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just checking if others have seen some variance in their soc when set to a particular level. This could be a computing error in the system, or a false reading either way how can we trust what the car is telling us to be accurate.

·
Registered
473 Posts
It isn’t an error. It’s pretty normal for the system to report a percent or two below the setting.

After the charging hits the target voltage, the cells relax and the voltage drops. This may be reflected in a lower percentage of SOC.

It’s all very normal.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with and understand the relax and flexing of the cells. I put this out there to see if anyone else has noticed and if so what have they seen. The system should have taken this in account and adjusted by going back into charge mode. If the system is to have a variance of say 2% either way high or low I get it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Seems someone asks this question once a month or two. I’d search for links but you can do that as well.

“Set charge percentage incorrect”

I thought hilltop mode was 90%, but it seems to be 88% on my 2017. It might be Im the manual. I may be mid-remembering. I wish I could set it to 80%, but I can’t.

Your car is ok.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I agree with and understand the relax and flexing of the cells. I put this out there to see if anyone else has noticed and if so what have they seen. The system should have taken this in account and adjusted by going back into charge mode. If the system is to have a variance of say 2% either way high or low I get it.
Have seen this with every battery I have ever owned. Filling a battery is like filling a balloon. There are ions shuffling around taking up less space, temperature change, etc. If it went back and added charge, an hour later it might read too high. It doesn't just go down

If gas gauges were as accurate as our SOC gauges, it would look like the tire pressure readings. My right rear tire is in the sun, and the pressure went up 3 psi. lol

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
This is very similar to the Hilltop Reserve setting, which is supposed to charge to 90%, but on the MyChevy App, it displays 88%. I'm not sure what causes the discrepancy, but it's possible that the MyChevy app is accounting for a buffer in the usable battery capacity that isn't apparent to the end user.

Even when the Bolt has completed charging, if you turn the car on while still plugged in to L2 AC, it will feed a noteworthy amount of additional energy into the battery (at least a few minutes at 7 to 8 kW). That could be cell balancing, but it could also just be additional energy capacity only available under a narrow set of circumstances (e.g., regen braking).

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
it's possible that the MyChevy app is accounting for a buffer in the usable battery capacity that isn't apparent to the end user.
Thanks. I needed a good laugh. If I was a Chevy engineer, I would be pulling my hair out. Give folks 20 green bars, and they complain it is not accurate enough. Give them a reading to the nearest 1%, and they complain if the answer doesn't agree with the number they picked. lol

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Just checking if others have seen some variance in their soc when set to a particular level.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I truly expect variances I was just looking for how much have others have seen the over and unders. I bet there are no overs I did not think something was wrong with car. I apologize for not researching the form first.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
I truly expect variances I was just looking for how much have others have seen the over and unders. I bet there are no overs I did not think something was wrong with car. I apologize for not researching the form first.
Plus or minus 1% at least is common. If you compare the MyChevrolet.com number to the app number, and then the Torque Pro number, you will see three different numbers. Torque Pro shows the number to tenths of a percent. The app will round one way, and the website will round the other. lol

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm an "over'. I set mine to 80% and without fail, the Chevy app reports 83% when mine completes charging. 2019 Premier.

Mike

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Close counts in horseshoes and battery charge level.
For true, even in lead-acid and gel-cell batteries. I have a friend with several collector cars. He makes a day's work of rotating trickle-charger/battery-maintainers and verifying state-of-charge with an expensive charger. It drives him nuts that the same battery will show full with one charger and at a slightly lower percentage on another. Some batteries will never get to 100%.

jack vines

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine charges over the target too. I set it to 75% and it usually charges to 76-77%. The odd thing I noticed is that it always stops charging when the "Current EV Range" matches the "Projected EV Range". Not sure what that means behind the scenes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts