Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many on this forum I was in the midst of an MSRP exchange when the total recall hit. After sending emails and leaving voice mails I finally received a call back from my CS's assistant. He informed me that swaps were no longer an option and did I still want to proceed with a buyback (I had stated in my emails that I wanted to change to a buyback). I told him yes, I wanted to proceed to a buyback. He then informed me that he would send my file to the buyback team and that I should hear from them shortly. I inquired if they had a phone number so I could follow up if I didn't hear from them. He told me that no, I would continue to work through my CS person (Shakeitta,).

I sent them another email yesterday and today I received a response (fastest response to date). Of course, one of the complications I have is I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier in Southern CA but I have subsequently moved to Florida. Even when trying to do the MSRP exchange, they were talking to CA dealerships and I had to keep reminding them I was in Florida not California. The essence of the current email is: "We are currently working on securing your dealership and having your coordinator assigned." It came from the CA Customer Engagement Center so I will need to remind them they need a Florida dealer, not a CA dealer.

Why it should take a company with billions of dollars so long to execute a buyout that is formula based is beyond me. One issue I and, I'm sure, many others are facing is what to buy as a replacement. I want to stay with an EV but the options are slim and none. All options are going to cost me out of pocket as my current vehicle is paid off. What are others finding as viable options? It appears to me that there is little inventory available and long waits for orders. My wife is the primary driver of this car and she really liked it. I have a Tesla Model 3 that I really like but Tesla is not an option as they have no inventory and waits are currently about 6 months. The vehicles I am aware of are:
1. VW ID.4
2. Ford Mustang E
3. Ionique 5
4. Kia Nero
5. Kona Electric
6. Nissan Leaf & Later Ariya

I paid $43,166.25 taxes and registration fees included I had a total Finance charge (if it had gone the entire time) of $2,123.75, however, I paid it off early. I am not certain how many miles they will attribute to my use but 30,000 is probably a good estimate which would be about 25% of the 120,000 miles CA uses. This means I should receive around $32,375 plus interest. I purchased in July 27, 2017 and the contract ran to August 10,2023, I paid it off in January of 2020. I paid interest for 29 months. I should see a little over $1,000 in interest rebate. This means I will probably have to invest another $10-15K to purchase a replacement.

Let me know what any of you are encountering and how it is proceeding. If you are replacing your car with another EV what are you looking at an why. My other concern is that many of these cars use LG as their battery supplier, could I be faced with a repeat?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tesla is offering much faster delivery times on the Model 3 with the CATL LFP battery. Might be worth looking into.

I've sworn off anything with LG batteries or with an LG type design. That pretty much means I'm looking at a Model 3. The Leaf does not appeal.
Lucky for us, the kid has gone away to school and we have a spare car. I can wait.

I asked GM for a repurchase, sent all the docs this week. Nothing yet, of course.
In the meantime, Vroom offered $25k for our 2021 LT. We paid $27k all in with tax, registration, etc.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Why it should take a company with billions of dollars so long to execute a buyout that is formula based is beyond me.
Just posted this on another thread.

Buyback for a recall defect gives nightmares to the entire retail car network and their attorneys. If GM were to buy back all recalled Bolts, it would set a precedent difficult to contain. Buyer's remorse and/or instant gratification of something new is all too prevalent in car ownership. They know well, once that precedent is set, then any small recall for whatever reason would generate buyback demands.
jack vines

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tesla is offering much faster delivery times on the Model 3 with the CATL LFP battery. Might be worth looking into.

I've sworn off anything with LG batteries or with an LG type design. That pretty much means I'm looking at a Model 3. The Leaf does not appeal.
Lucky for us, the kid has gone away to school and we have a spare car. I can wait.

I GM asked for a repurchase, sent all the docs this week. Nothing yet, of course.
In the meantime, Vroom offered $25k for our 2021 LT. We paid $27k all in with tax, registration, etc.
I doubt if you will get much better from Chevrolet, a $2K loss is pretty minimal unless you just bought it. I guess it depends on how many miles you have on it and the fact that 2021 fire risk is probably lower.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just posted this on another thread.

jack vines
This is, of course, not just any small recall, normally you would be able to at least do an exchange to a different vehicle. This is a recall combined with an unknown repair date in the distant future and numerous restrictions on use along with an unpredictable safety risk, especially if you can't meet all of the restrictions on use. It has been standard in the industry to replace or buyback a vehicle that has a safety defect that cannot be restored to safe use within 30 days.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
118 Posts
It has been standard in the industry to replace or buyback a vehicle that has a safety defect that cannot be restored to safe use within 30 days.
So for those of us with 2020+ Bolts that would be September 20, 2021 (edit: not 30 business days so add ~8).

Also, if your state lemon law requires the manufacturer to attempt some number of repairs before it's a lemon, do we need to call a dealer that many times, request a repair and be told there is no repair to satisfy that requirement?

The Minnesota lemon law says:
  1. Four or more unsuccessful attempts to repair the same defect; or,
  2. One unsuccessful attempt to repair a defect that has caused the complete failure of the steering or braking system and that is likely to cause death or serious bodily injury if the vehicle is driven; or,
  3. A car that has been out of service due to warranty repairs for 30 or more cumulative business days.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
162 Posts
So all the people posting about buyback offers had started that process before the latest recall?

I guess 3 weeks is too soon to get any offers yet

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am still waiting on a buyback and haven't heard a peep to even send anything in. I think the M3 SR+ with MIC LFP chemistry maybe a quicker option from what I hear from your list. (maybe people don't want a MIC LFP battery?).

Is the Mini Cooper EV available as well? Much less range, but a lot cheaper and you can bank the extra $$ if they give you 32k (I built one for 18.9k).

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just submitted, and got my Case # yesterday. But, judging by what I read, and their backlog, it could take several weeks before I hear anything.

If Chevy does buy it back ( 🤞 ), I'll go without a car until one the other ones becomes available. Then, I may actually Lease instead. :unsure:

For me, my first choice is, the Nissan Ariya; 65.4” height with 6.7” ground clearance; Explore the Nissan ARIYA. The New All-Electric SUV. | Nissan

The other 4, in no particular order.

2) Cadillac Lyriq, 63.9" height; ground clearance unknown; 2023 Cadillac LYRIQ | Electric SUV | Model Overview

3) Kia EV6, 61” height (shortest of the bunch), w/ a whopping 10” ground clearance; All-New 2022 Kia EV6 Crossover | Meet Your Future Electric Car | Kia
NOTE: After viewing the video, I find 10" (found 2022 Kia EV6 | Courtesy Kia of Brandon ) to be wrong.

4) Hundai Ioniq 5, 63.2” w/ 6.3” ground clearance; 2022 IONIQ 5 | Electric SUV, Global Reveal | Hyundai USA

5) VW ID.4, 63.5” height w/ an excellent 8.2” ground clearance. But, it's the plainest of 'em all; https://www.vw.com/en/models/id-4.html

While the Ariya remains my first choice, like the Bolt, both the EV6, and Ioniq 5 have the Regen Braking Paddle. So, if they come out first, it's possible that the Ariya may loose out.

Though, if these have a starting price of $45K, and the Ariya is $40K, I may wait.

Though, sadly, the tax incentives won't do me a bit of good.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The Nissan Ariya won't be available until 2022. The Ionique 5 is supposed to be available starting next quarter but they have closed takin orders. The only car on your list available in 2021 is the VW ID.4. It won't be until they build the car in the US factory that they will change the battery from the LG battery to one made in a Georgia plant. EV's are slim pickings.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
For me, my top pick if I decide to pursue buyback (I'm in CA) and get a decent offer is the '22 Kona EV but it's not available in most non-CARB emission states. Would be looking to possibly purchase and not lease.

ID.4 was on my list, but it's too expensive, even for a lease. I test drove it again recently and it feels too large and VW (lack of) reliability gives me pause. It's an unknown for the ID.4 in Consumer Reports but some of the things I'd seen when browsing Volkswagen ID.4 reinforce my concerns about VW.

Unfortunately, both are using LG Chem so who knows if I could be going from one fire risk to another?

Agree about TonyinGA's list. None of those are available except for ID.4.

There's a possibility I might lease another Leaf... (yeah yeah, I know about rapidgate and it being CHAdeMO). It would be a temp car until more EVs come out or we see what happens w/some of the above LG Chem EVs.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right now I am leaning to buy my wife a Tesla model 3 SR+ as it would meet her needs and since I have a Tesla Model 3 LR and we have two Tesla Wall chargers already installed in our garage it would be the easiest transition. My wife would prefer a smaller car and she really likes the Bird's Eye view and ApplePlay and we would both miss not having at least on small SUV. If I could get the Ionique 5 that would be my top choice for her but I suspect that all that will be in the first shipment are already sold. We have owned two Hyundai Genesis in the past and were very pleased with them. I love my Tesla but I am a tech geek so I love the technology.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
On that note, neither the Kona EV nor ID.4 have the equivalent of GM Surround Vision (or Nissan Around View Monitor) on any trim. :( I do like Apple CarPlay.

The default 8-inch touchsreen on the Kona EV is a big step backwards from the big touchscreen on Bolt. CarPlay looks a bit goofy on the 8-inch screen. CarPlay looks much better on the ID.4. Had tried both.

·
Registered
435 Posts
So all the people posting about buyback offers had started that process before the latest recall?
I guess 3 weeks is too soon to get any offers yet
I began just after the full freeze on all bolts and sent in the docs only about 10 days ago. I was told I would hear something in 14-21 days but I suspect it will be several weeks longer than that at the earliest. GM has since said zero production until LG can produce a defect free battery and who knows how that factors in to the repurchase teams equation. It might change almost daily. No way to tell if there are 100 people in queue ahead of me or 20K.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The Ionique 5 has both and I think it has a really nice looking screen layout.
I was looking at the Ioniq 5, but then I saw the EV6 and frankly. Like the looks of the EV6 over the Ioniq 5. Helps that they share specs since I like the specs of the Ioniq 5.

That said, I can't believe I'm looking at a Kia.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I began just after the full freeze on all bolts and sent in the docs only about 10 days ago. I was told I would hear something in 14-21 days but I suspect it will be several weeks longer than that at the earliest. GM has since said zero production until LG can produce a defect free battery and who knows how that factors in to the repurchase teams equation. It might change almost daily. No way to tell if there are 100 people in queue ahead of me or 20K.
I think GM is stalling.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If they were honest and said it might be a year or more before we can fix your car, how do you think people would react? First, they have to find out where the problem in manufacturing is occurring and that means reliably replicating the problem. Then, establish a fix for the problem and put it through testing to ensure that the fix actually worked in a production (not laboratory) environment. As anyone that has worked in development, it is a big and challenging step to go from the lab to large scale production. Often what worked well in the lab does not work in large scale production. Then you have to actually produce the new batteries in large quantities, assemble and ship to dealers, finally you have to get in the lines at dealerships that are not prepared to undertake such massive repairs. If they identified the problem today with absolute certainty, I suspect we are looking at 12 months to start repairs. When you don't have a fix and you don't want to buyback all of the vehicles, stalling becomes your best tactic.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I sent the last document the buyback coordinator needed yesterday. Hoping to finalize this soon. Here's where I am with the options...
Niro EV = liked that it was roomier, disliked lack of surround camera, one pedal driving not as good, there are things I want and don't want in both trim levels = it's a no for me
ID.4 = really like the vehicle overall aside from hating the lack of one pedal driving, don't want LG battery = I prefer other options at that price point
Model 3 Standard Plus = test drove it & loved it - all the tech, autopilot, future updates, comfort, Supercharge network, will miss 360 camera & hatch back = looking like the winner!
2022 Kona EV = glad they switched battery manufacturers, curious to see it, great price, but don't have high hopes after being spoiled by the Tesla
Ariya, Ioniq 5, EV6 = super intrigued, but it could be a long wait and price might not be much different than the Model 3

1 - 20 of 92 Posts