Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
There’s a google sheets doc somewhere (someone with a link please post) where people have entered their buyback information, including their state. A great resource.

Ohio has a similar repair stipulation, though I think it’s only one failed repair for a safety issue. Where that all goes out the window is what if they don’t even attempt a repair for a year, or more? Don’t know. Just hope GM does the right thing.

I now believe GM sold a car to me in May, 2021, knowing that it had a potentially lethal safety issue. I want my full purchase price back.

Just for info:
General Motors vehicles purchased after 3/31/2020 are not eligible for these tax credits.

I’ve read that buyback-ees of 2017s did not have to pay the tax credit back.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If they never attempt a repair does the 30 days out of service apply? The weird thing for our situation is that the car isn't really out of service, just not in as full service as the car had when purchased. As for the tax credit...When you sell the car to a private party do you have to pay back the tax credit? No, then selling to GM should be the same.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The Plus has 226 miles, not as much as the 2017-2019 Bolt's 238, but close enough for me. I tend to buy a car and drive it to the ground so leasing means I'm just delaying my real purchase and feels like I'm wasting money.
Indeed. Just priced a lease on a Leaf plus. $428/mo 10k miles/year. That’s 51c a mile. Who are they kidding? I thought that the lessor gets to claim the $7500 tax credit. Doesn’t seem to be included in this deal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Like many on this forum I was in the midst of an MSRP exchange when the total recall hit. After sending emails and leaving voice mails I finally received a call back from my CS's assistant. He informed me that swaps were no longer an option and did I still want to proceed with a buyback (I had stated in my emails that I wanted to change to a buyback). I told him yes, I wanted to proceed to a buyback. He then informed me that he would send my file to the buyback team and that I should hear from them shortly. I inquired if they had a phone number so I could follow up if I didn't hear from them. He told me that no, I would continue to work through my CS person (Shakeitta,).

I sent them another email yesterday and today I received a response (fastest response to date). Of course, one of the complications I have is I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier in Southern CA but I have subsequently moved to Florida. Even when trying to do the MSRP exchange, they were talking to CA dealerships and I had to keep reminding them I was in Florida not California. The essence of the current email is: "We are currently working on securing your dealership and having your coordinator assigned." It came from the CA Customer Engagement Center so I will need to remind them they need a Florida dealer, not a CA dealer.

Why it should take a company with billions of dollars so long to execute a buyout that is formula based is beyond me. One issue I and, I'm sure, many others are facing is what to buy as a replacement. I want to stay with an EV but the options are slim and none. All options are going to cost me out of pocket as my current vehicle is paid off. What are others finding as viable options? It appears to me that there is little inventory available and long waits for orders. My wife is the primary driver of this car and she really liked it. I have a Tesla Model 3 that I really like but Tesla is not an option as they have no inventory and waits are currently about 6 months. The vehicles I am aware of are:
1. VW ID.4
2. Ford Mustang E
3. Ionique 5
4. Kia Nero
5. Kona Electric
6. Nissan Leaf & Later Ariya

I paid $43,166.25 taxes and registration fees included I had a total Finance charge (if it had gone the entire time) of $2,123.75, however, I paid it off early. I am not certain how many miles they will attribute to my use but 30,000 is probably a good estimate which would be about 25% of the 120,000 miles CA uses. This means I should receive around $32,375 plus interest. I purchased in July 27, 2017 and the contract ran to August 10,2023, I paid it off in January of 2020. I paid interest for 29 months. I should see a little over $1,000 in interest rebate. This means I will probably have to invest another $10-15K to purchase a replacement.

Let me know what anyvehicle in for overheating while charging at that 12k mark. of you are encountering and how it is proceeding. If you are replacing your car with another EV what are you looking at an why. My other concern is that many of these cars use LG as their battery supplier, could I be faced with a repeat?
We have a mutual "friend". I have had many email exchanges and a few phone conversations with Shakeitta. She seems very nice. She will not give me anything in writing but at one point promised a straight exchange for a 2022 for my 2017. Then she indicated that my 54k miles would be changed to 12k for trade in purposes as I brought the vehicle in for issues of overheating while charging at the 12k mark.
She arranged a "host" at my dealer (in CA) and when I went in on Aug 21st....they were only going to give me standard used car $ for the 17 and tried to sell me a 22 (test drive etc) despite us informing them it had been recalled (one day after the latest recall. They claimed to know nothing about a deal from Shakeita.
Now waiting while Shakeitta arranges a host for the buyback. Again...she will not give me anything in writing, as to how much they will give me for the car. I emailed her my bill of sale (we own it outright) and registration...everything she said they needed. And...nothing in writing. Very frustrating. May be time for us all to lawyer up.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Please clarify: 1) Are buybacks only in those states where the "lemon laws" (LL) allow this? {In WV, you must have had the dealer try 3 times w/o success to fix the problem before the LL kicks in.} 2) Re: the tax credit: If you purchased in 2021, you have not claimed the credit yet. If you purchased in 2020 and applied the credit to your 2020 taxes, do you have to pay the IRS back? 3) If you bought in 2017 (as I did) do you have to pay back the tax credit?
Some states (such as IL) were pretty much dead ends for buybacks PRIOR to Total Recall. Not sure if things have changed since then.

·
Registered
2020 Premier
118 Posts
If they never attempt a repair does the 30 days out of service apply?
My theory (not a lawyer) is that if you call a dealer and ask for a recall repair appointment and they refuse because there are no parts available that counts as a failed repair attempt. Call once a week until you qualify for a buyback based on your state lemon laws.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Plus has 226 miles, not as much as the 2017-2019 Bolt's 238, but close enough for me. I tend to buy a car and drive it to the ground so leasing means I'm just delaying my real purchase and feels like I'm wasting money.
Sure, everybody's needs vary. For me, I'm concerned 226 could push it - when running heat, with a lot of highway speeds, once battery starts degrading, and for longer trips.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Seems to be a lull in communications so for now it seems that Chevy has suspended buybacks or at least calling to work on them. Either some new decisions are being made, or they are just waiting for LG to find the cause of the defects which could be months. But still worth doing the initial call to get a case number and send in the documentation.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Seems to be a lull in communications so for now it seems that Chevy has suspended buybacks or at least calling to work on them. Either some new decisions are being made, or they are just waiting for LG to find the cause of the defects which could be months. But still worth doing the initial call to get a case number and send in the documentation.
I agree. My concierge rep "Bob" told me last week the same I heard on August 21 - GM has not decided to repurchase as yet, will let me know if/when that happens.
But he asked me to email my documentation and I did.

·
Registered
380 Posts
No repurchase agreement in hand, but back on Aug. 26th I was told from my concierge "Crystal":

"the repurchase team has your case it is still under review they will be reaching out to you with a offer."

Note: Emphasis added by me.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No repurchase agreement in hand, but back on Aug. 26th I was told from my concierge "Crystal":

"the repurchase team has your case it is still under review they will be reaching out to you with a offer."

Note: Emphasis added by me.
I have a voicemail from Ali from 8/4 saying that GM has agreed to repurchase your car. Expect to hear from them within 10 business days. I still haven't heard them. I will purchase a different EV, but I would rather have the repurchase dollars in hand before I get the replacement. I have 90 days from one transaction to the other for a sales tax offset. Simple communication (we have your information, we are quite busy we will have an offer for you in xxx days or we will be back in contact in xxx days) is an easy step in proper customer service. If they can't handle "thank you for the information, we will be with you in less than a week, don't hesitate to reach out to us if you don't hear anything" then how are we to trust that they can fix a complex battery problem.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I initiated my buyback request in mid-July. I just received my official buyback letter this morning and should have all this completely wrapped up next week. I would've probably had it last week, but they were waiting on my lien release. Good luck to everyone else that's waiting!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Those of you receiving buybacks, could you please provide the following information to help those of us waiting to have information for replacement planning purposes:
1. State Vehicle Purchased
2. Vehicle MSRP
3. Invoice Actual paid amount
4. Milage charged if any
5. Amount of Buyback

Thank you.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I initiated my buyback request in mid-July. I just received my official buyback letter this morning and should have all this completely wrapped up next week. I would've probably had it last week, but they were waiting on my lien release. Good luck to everyone else that's waiting!
That's good news!

Is the acceptance of the buyback time bound... do you have a certain amount of time to agree? How long between being informed you were going to get an offer until receiving it today?

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a voicemail from Ali from 8/4 saying that GM has agreed to repurchase your car. Expect to hear from them within 10 business days. I still haven't heard them. I will purchase a different EV, but I would rather have the repurchase dollars in hand before I get the replacement. I have 90 days from one transaction to the other for a sales tax offset. Simple communication (we have your information, we are quite busy we will have an offer for you in xxx days or we will be back in contact in xxx days) is an easy step in proper customer service. If they can't handle "thank you for the information, we will be with you in less than a week, don't hesitate to reach out to us if you don't hear anything" then how are we to trust that they can fix a complex battery problem.
I'm more upset about the lack of communication than I am of the battery defects.

I get an email that says "do these things out of an abundance of caution", but when I respond back saying sometimes I can't do those things... so what's the best action to take... I get nothing.

I've been treated as if I don't matter, as if my property and family don't matter, as if my coworkers vehicles don't matter, as if I'm not worthy of a response. That speaks loudly to me and is hard to forget.

·
Registered
64 Posts
1. State Vehicle Purchased
2. Vehicle MSRP
3. Invoice Actual paid amount
4. Milage charged if any
5. Amount of Buyback
1. Maryland
2. MSRP = $43,905 (only relevant for swap, not straight buyback) - early 2019 Bolt EV Premier
3. $39,160 + fees = $39,784 (note - State Excise Fee is not included in buyback offer, refund to be requested directly with the state)
4. Mileage Deduction = Maryland maximum of 15% ($5,874), would've been higher if not for that limit
5. $33,310

Is the acceptance of the buyback time bound... do you have a certain amount of time to agree? How long between being informed you were going to get an offer until receiving it today?
Yes, the letter said it must be signed by 9/3/21. I'm sure that's because she probably started this letter a week or two ago, but it got delayed waiting on my lien release. I could ask for a new deadline, but my mind is already made up. My hunch is the deadline is about 7-10 days.

I was first told my buyback was approved on 7/30. I was all set to go with a dealership that was already holding a '22 EUV Launch Edition for me. But of course that idea went up in flames (sorry, pun intended) when the stop sale happened. I didn't hear from the buyback coordinator until 8/24. But she's been super quick and responsive ever since. As expected, she confirmed that they could no longer offer an EV swap, so I could wait for a battery replacement, swap for an ICE vehicle, or take a straight buyback (which I chose).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just got off the phone with MD's District Rep who called this morning. Short version: GM is still offering swaps (trade repurchases) but only into ICE vehicles. No longer swapping into Bolt models since they're all under recall. Still doing buybacks. I declined both a swap or buyback preferring to stick with my 2017 low mileage Bolt EV and getting the battery replaced. Yes, the entire battery not modules. While there are still no date targets, I've mentally adjusted to waiting a few months once LG/GM figure out the manufacturing fix and have thorough inspection procedures in place. At some point, a dealer will call me to come in for the replacement with a projected 2-3 day turnaround. He indicated that all the Bolt owners he has spoken with prefer to stay with the Bolt and wait for a new battery.

I'm OK with this; the current range and recharging restrictions are well within my use case. Should my Bolt combust in my driveway, I'll probably feel differently.

*grammar edit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Anyone looking at the VW ID4 as a replacement vehicle for their Bolt. I suggest looking at this vehicle review by two guys from Ontario Canada. Straight Pipes (I am not affiliate with them and just like the average guy type review). 2021 VW ID.4 Review - ELECTRIC SUV NEEDS IMPROVEMENT - YouTube

their conclusion is the ID4 need serious improvement and the infotainment system is terrible and getting to anything is buried in layers within layers.

Just my two cents

41 - 60 of 95 Posts