Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Anyone looking at the VW ID4 as a replacement vehicle for their Bolt. I suggest looking at this vehicle review by two guys from Ontario Canada. Straight Pipes (I am not affiliate with them and just like the average guy type review). 2021 VW ID.4 Review - ELECTRIC SUV NEEDS IMPROVEMENT - YouTube

their conclusion is the ID4 need serious improvement and the infotainment system is terrible and getting to anything is buried in layers within layers.

Just my two cents
I drove the ID.4 and liked it a lot, but I hated that it didn't have true one-pedal driving. And the current ID.4's have LG batteries. So nope!

Never thought I'd be considering a Tesla, but I test drove a Model 3 the other day and absolutely love it! I'm still curious to see the Kona EV and the Ioniq 5, due out this fall. I'm also very intrigued about the EV6 and Ariya, but I probably won't want to wait that long.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
Anyone looking at the VW ID4 as a replacement vehicle for their Bolt. I suggest looking at this vehicle review by two guys from Ontario Canada. Straight Pipes (I am not affiliate with them and just like the average guy type review). 2021 VW ID.4 Review - ELECTRIC SUV NEEDS IMPROVEMENT - YouTube

their conclusion is the ID4 need serious improvement and the infotainment system is terrible and getting to anything is buried in layers within layers.

Just my two cents
Yeah, wonky infotainment, annoying haptic buttons, and lethargic acceleration are the top complaints for the ID4. Also, it uses LG batteries. So switching from a Bolt to an ID4 might be the EV equivalent of ‘out of the frying pan and into the fire’. 😳🔥

I do like it though. Will reconsider once they fix the bugs, go with a different battery supplier, and increase hp (all of which is happening BTW).

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
158 Posts
I drove the ID.4 and liked it a lot, but I hated that it didn't have true one-pedal driving. And the current ID.4's have LG batteries. So nope!

Never thought I'd be considering a Tesla, but I test drove a Model 3 the other day and absolutely love it! I'm still curious to see the Kona EV and the Ioniq 5, due out this fall. I'm also very intrigued about the EV6 and Ariya, but I probably won't want to wait that long.
I’m also gonna look at the M3 and Ioniq 5. But that’s a few months down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Yeah, wonky infotainment, annoying haptic buttons, and lethargic acceleration are the top complaints for the ID4. Also, it uses LG batteries. So switching from a Bolt to an ID4 might be the EV equivalent of ‘out of the frying pan and into the fire’. 😳🔥

I do like it though. Will reconsider once they fix the bugs, go with a different battery supplier, and increase hp (all of which is happening BTW).
The front end on the ID.4 is pretty meh too. It's like the VW engineers put off the front end to finish last and whipped together a stand-in one, then at the end went "Eh, F it, let's just go with the stand-in's look".

·
Registered
4 Posts

Just my two cents
The infotainment system ID4 I test drove over the weekend seemed fine and responsive. Maybe VW fixed the software?

I understand the concerns regarding the haptic controls and changing the climate settings was a button press too many for me, but I think you eventually get used to it.

My biggest complaints were size (I personally don’t need a vehicle that large, the size of the Bolt is perfect for me) and no 360/overhead camera view. Oh, and the potential hazard of a LG battery.

·
Registered
261 Posts
For me, the ID.3 catching fire is a big concern with the ID.4. No 1 pedal driving as well and only negative reviews of the controls also.

When I first saw it and the price, I was pretty sure that would be a good fit for me (Size, range, small SUV like), but nope...skipping.

·
Registered
24 Posts
For me, the ID.3 catching fire is a big concern with the ID.4. No 1 pedal driving as well and only negative reviews of the controls also.

When I first saw it and the price, I was pretty sure that would be a good fit for me (Size, range, small SUV like), but nope...skipping.
I test drove the ID.4 and it had "good enough" one pedal driving. I had to use the brake a bit more but you can get by mostly in the one-pedal mode (forget what they call it, you flip a switch around the steering wheel).

·
Registered
2021Bolt
165 Posts
Hello
Do Extended warranties have anything to do with buybacks ? I think it’s a separate thing. So if you get a buyback you just close out the warranty and get most all the $ back.
Right?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well, I did just get a call back. Different guy to last week's. This one said he had all my documents and would forward them to the "repurchasing committee".

He said he has no way to contact anyone in repurchasing to check on my case. Could be a long wait. Though he does have one customer who just received a repurchase offer.

Progress...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well, I did just get a call back. Different guy to last week's. This one said he had all my documents and would forward them to the "repurchasing committee".

He said he has no way to contact anyone in repurchasing to check on my case. Could be a long wait. Though he does have one customer who just received a repurchase offer.

Progress...
That last part "no way to contact" is not true. You need to get past the Bolt Concierge and talk to the person handling your buyback. You need a case number and a contact in the group handling the buyback. Keep pushiing.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,321 Posts
Do Extended warranties have anything to do with buybacks ? I think it’s a separate thing.
So if you get a buyback you just close out the warranty and get most all the $ back.
Right?
I thought all the Extendo Warrantyos were handled by a third Partios.
Good luck with that.....
I'm guessing you'll have to fight and fight to get a dime back.

·
Registered
129 Posts
That last part "no way to contact" is not true. You need to get past the Bolt Concierge and talk to the person handling your buyback. You need a case number and a contact in the group handling the buyback. Keep pushiing.
I have the case number, I've sent in the docs. The only way to get the contact in the group handling the buyback is for them to call me, or so I'm told.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Like many on this forum I was in the midst of an MSRP exchange when the total recall hit. After sending emails and leaving voice mails I finally received a call back from my CS's assistant. He informed me that swaps were no longer an option and did I still want to proceed with a buyback (I had stated in my emails that I wanted to change to a buyback). I told him yes, I wanted to proceed to a buyback. He then informed me that he would send my file to the buyback team and that I should hear from them shortly. I inquired if they had a phone number so I could follow up if I didn't hear from them. He told me that no, I would continue to work through my CS person (Shakeitta,).

I sent them another email yesterday and today I received a response (fastest response to date). Of course, one of the complications I have is I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier in Southern CA but I have subsequently moved to Florida. Even when trying to do the MSRP exchange, they were talking to CA dealerships and I had to keep reminding them I was in Florida not California. The essence of the current email is: "We are currently working on securing your dealership and having your coordinator assigned." It came from the CA Customer Engagement Center so I will need to remind them they need a Florida dealer, not a CA dealer.

Why it should take a company with billions of dollars so long to execute a buyout that is formula based is beyond me. One issue I and, I'm sure, many others are facing is what to buy as a replacement. I want to stay with an EV but the options are slim and none. All options are going to cost me out of pocket as my current vehicle is paid off. What are others finding as viable options? It appears to me that there is little inventory available and long waits for orders. My wife is the primary driver of this car and she really liked it. I have a Tesla Model 3 that I really like but Tesla is not an option as they have no inventory and waits are currently about 6 months. The vehicles I am aware of are:
1. VW ID.4
2. Ford Mustang E
3. Ionique 5
4. Kia Nero
5. Kona Electric
6. Nissan Leaf & Later Ariya

I paid $43,166.25 taxes and registration fees included I had a total Finance charge (if it had gone the entire time) of $2,123.75, however, I paid it off early. I am not certain how many miles they will attribute to my use but 30,000 is probably a good estimate which would be about 25% of the 120,000 miles CA uses. This means I should receive around $32,375 plus interest. I purchased in July 27, 2017 and the contract ran to August 10,2023, I paid it off in January of 2020. I paid interest for 29 months. I should see a little over $1,000 in interest rebate. This means I will probably have to invest another $10-15K to purchase a replacement.

Let me know what any of you are encountering and how it is proceeding. If you are replacing your car with another EV what are you looking at an why. My other concern is that many of these cars use LG as their battery supplier, could I be faced with a repeat?
Like many on this forum I was in the midst of an MSRP exchange when the total recall hit. After sending emails and leaving voice mails I finally received a call back from my CS's assistant. He informed me that swaps were no longer an option and did I still want to proceed with a buyback (I had stated in my emails that I wanted to change to a buyback). I told him yes, I wanted to proceed to a buyback. He then informed me that he would send my file to the buyback team and that I should hear from them shortly. I inquired if they had a phone number so I could follow up if I didn't hear from them. He told me that no, I would continue to work through my CS person (Shakeitta,).

I sent them another email yesterday and today I received a response (fastest response to date). Of course, one of the complications I have is I purchased my 2017 Bolt Premier in Southern CA but I have subsequently moved to Florida. Even when trying to do the MSRP exchange, they were talking to CA dealerships and I had to keep reminding them I was in Florida not California. The essence of the current email is: "We are currently working on securing your dealership and having your coordinator assigned." It came from the CA Customer Engagement Center so I will need to remind them they need a Florida dealer, not a CA dealer.

Why it should take a company with billions of dollars so long to execute a buyout that is formula based is beyond me. One issue I and, I'm sure, many others are facing is what to buy as a replacement. I want to stay with an EV but the options are slim and none. All options are going to cost me out of pocket as my current vehicle is paid off. What are others finding as viable options? It appears to me that there is little inventory available and long waits for orders. My wife is the primary driver of this car and she really liked it. I have a Tesla Model 3 that I really like but Tesla is not an option as they have no inventory and waits are currently about 6 months. The vehicles I am aware of are:
1. VW ID.4
2. Ford Mustang E
3. Ionique 5
4. Kia Nero
5. Kona Electric
6. Nissan Leaf & Later Ariya

I paid $43,166.25 taxes and registration fees included I had a total Finance charge (if it had gone the entire time) of $2,123.75, however, I paid it off early. I am not certain how many miles they will attribute to my use but 30,000 is probably a good estimate which would be about 25% of the 120,000 miles CA uses. This means I should receive around $32,375 plus interest. I purchased in July 27, 2017 and the contract ran to August 10,2023, I paid it off in January of 2020. I paid interest for 29 months. I should see a little over $1,000 in interest rebate. This means I will probably have to invest another $10-15K to purchase a replacement.

Let me know what any of you are encountering and how it is proceeding. If you are replacing your car with another EV what are you looking at an why. My other concern is that many of these cars use LG as their battery supplier, could I be faced with a repeat?
I just turned my paperwork in for a buyback. Although, an EV is appealing, for safety reasons, I would not buy one now and will wait until the Li-ion technology used in EV's is made safer. For example, Li-ion battery packs need to be designed so that there is near 0% chance of a thermal runaway, even during an accident ( when you are stuck in the vehicle, waiting for FD extraction ).

·
Registered
2021Bolt
165 Posts
I thought all the Extendo Warrantyos were handled by a third Partios.
Good luck with that.....
I'm guessing you'll have to fight and fight to get a dime back.
I read that people can cancel thier extended warranties. Do not know anyone who has. So if GM only gives a week to decide on accepting a buyback offer, it would be good to know this

·
Registered
22 Posts
I was just starting a swap when the last recall was announced and I haven't heard from the concierge since, which didn't surprise me, not to be snarky, just assuming they got completely blindsided. My problem is I like the Bolt because of the surround vision, taller stance, the short length, and buttons and knobs--so a Tesla doesn't work for me. So I'm twiddling my thumbs at present.

·
Registered
164 Posts
While my case is only a few days old, I'm hoping the buy-back goes through, as the nice thing about it, is I paid the car off. So, it's mine, free and clear.

And, being a very low miles 2020, I'm hoping to get most, if not all, of what I paid for it.

Hello
Do Extended warranties have anything to do with buybacks ? I think it’s a separate thing. So if you get a buyback you just close out the warranty and get most all the $ back.
Right?
While I don't know for certain, I would say, yes, as it was part of the purchase.

But, with the way things are going, it could be yes for one person. But, a no, for the next.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
An update on my buyback: Initiated on 7/19. On 8/11, concierge said my buyback had been approved (for a trade swap into an EUV.) Once the complete recall happened, I let the concierge know I wanted to switch to a cash buyback once the stop sale order went out on all new Bolts. Finally got a call and an email from the repurchasing department three weeks later on 9/1 requesting all of the standard docs and pics needed for them to formulate an offer. I sent all of the docs and pics that evening. I even went to the dealership where I bought both my Bolts and they said that they would be happy to host the buyback for me. I passed the sales manager's info to the repurchasing agent as well. The next day, I got a call from the GM executive team asking me to call them. I had sent a letter to them complaining about the length of time this was taking considering I had an approved buyback. I called the executive team rep today (9/7) and gave her the contact info for the repurchase agent assigned to my case which she had requested. She also requested the dealership's name who agreed to host the buyback. She said that she will investigate the issue and let me know what is going on by the end of the week. So, right now, 8 weeks from my initial call and 4 weeks since my backpack was approved, I am waiting for the formal offer from GM with the executive team rep investigating why this is taking so long.

Since Virginia has no usage fees in their lemon laws, I do not expect to have a deduction for mileage. Since I was an early adopter in 2017, there were little discounts on Bolts at the time so I am hoping to get most of the $40k sticker price back plus taxes, registration, etc. I will keep you guys updated as I finish this buyback.

Just give me my money, GM. I've got a Tesla Model 3 arriving in less than two weeks. 😀

·
Registered
28 Posts
There’s a google sheets doc somewhere (someone with a link please post) where people have entered their buyback information, including their state. A great resource.

Ohio has a similar repair stipulation, though I think it’s only one failed repair for a safety issue. Where that all goes out the window is what if they don’t even attempt a repair for a year, or more? Don’t know. Just hope GM does the right thing.

I now believe GM sold a car to me in May, 2021, knowing that it had a potentially lethal safety issue. I want my full purchase price back.

Just for info:
General Motors vehicles purchased after 3/31/2020 are not eligible for these tax credits.

I’ve read that buyback-ees of 2017s did not have to pay the tax credit back.
My state, Oregon, told me that I'd have to apply for some dispensation to avoid having to pay some tax credit back. For some reason they would not tell me right out whether I'd be eligible for that, if I sell a recalled car back to the company. I think Oregon's regulation was that you needed to own the car for two years. I, at any rate, have started the process of getting a buyback number$$, but GM also told me that I will get a postcard in 45 to 60 days saying that batteries are waiting for me at some local (I hope) dealer. My dealer said he has three certified Bolt mechanics to do the work, and has applied for special heavy duty equipment to handle heavy batteries. So I'm undecided.

On another track, I called my insurance company to see if my higher premium meant that State Farm was upping the price for Bolt insurance. The office said they are not privy to that information. It would be very handy to know if insurance costs might go up for the Bolt even after a fix. But I think you'd have to know someone high up in the company to get the low down on that sort of thing. To guess the answer, the secretary plugged in the insurance cost for a Leaf of a similar year. That insurance price was even worse than my 2019.

·
Registered
28 Posts
An update on my buyback: Initiated on 7/19. On 8/11, concierge said my buyback had been approved (for a trade swap into an EUV.) Once the complete recall happened, I let the concierge know I wanted to switch to a cash buyback once the stop sale order went out on all new Bolts. Finally got a call and an email from the repurchasing department three weeks later on 9/1 requesting all of the standard docs and pics needed for them to formulate an offer. I sent all of the docs and pics that evening. I even went to the dealership where I bought both my Bolts and they said that they would be happy to host the buyback for me. I passed the sales manager's info to the repurchasing agent as well. The next day, I got a call from the GM executive team asking me to call them. I had sent a letter to them complaining about the length of time this was taking considering I had an approved buyback. I called the executive team rep today (9/7) and gave her the contact info for the repurchase agent assigned to my case which she had requested. She also requested the dealership's name who agreed to host the buyback. She said that she will investigate the issue and let me know what is going on by the end of the week. So, right now, 8 weeks from my initial call and 4 weeks since my backpack was approved, I am waiting for the formal offer from GM with the executive team rep investigating why this is taking so long.

Since Virginia has no usage fees in their lemon laws, I do not expect to have a deduction for mileage. Since I was an early adopter in 2017, there were little discounts on Bolts at the time so I am hoping to get most of the $40k sticker price back plus taxes, registration, etc. I will keep you guys updated as I finish this buyback.

Just give me my money, GM. I've got a Tesla Model 3 arriving in less than two weeks. 😀
How interesting that you had to show photos of your car. When GM contacted me they only wanted sales docs and proof of ownership; then they called a week later to ask for mileage. Sounds like there's no one process for establishing a buyback price?! How uncorporate. Does that mean we have to haggle??

·
Registered
263 Posts

Kona Electrics are flying off dealers' lots, and the dealers aren't shy about jacking up the price. (Sneaky? Yes. Shy? No)

61 - 80 of 95 Posts