Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was just starting a swap when the last recall was announced and I haven't heard from the concierge since, which didn't surprise me, not to be snarky, just assuming they got completely blindsided. My problem is I like the Bolt because of the surround vision, taller stance, the short length, and buttons and knobs--so a Tesla doesn't work for me. So I'm twiddling my thumbs at present.
The Kona Electric looks much bigger than a Bolt but the difference is actually just an inch and a half in both length and width, with a smaller turning radius.

·
Registered
263 Posts
How interesting that you had to show photos of your car. When GM contacted me they only wanted sales docs and proof of ownership; then they called a week later to ask for mileage. Sounds like there's no one process for establishing a buyback price?! How uncorporate. Does that mean we have to haggle??

·
Read Only
0 Posts
How interesting that you had to show photos of your car. When GM contacted me they only wanted sales docs and proof of ownership; then they called a week later to ask for mileage. Sounds like there's no one process for establishing a buyback price?! How uncorporate. Does that mean we have to haggle??
We are at different stages in the process. What you sent in is for the buyback decision process which happens first. The pics are sent after you have an approved buyback and they are formulating an actual cash offer.

·
Registered
Chevy Bolt, 2017
51 Posts
To answer your question I just got a letter from a GM Rep (which works for the California state team) asking for certain documents to be sent her (Thelma) if I wish to apply for a buyback. I am getting the idea that the offer for the buybacks are somewhat based on the state Lemon Laws. I bought my car from a private dealer in Seattle Washington but it must have been originally sold in by a dealer in California because even though I have mentioned that to Selma she still is thinking California, for some reason. I don't know if owners in Washington State who are getting requests from GM for a buyback offer. I submitted the papers yesterday and will wait for an offer/reply from Thelma. The letter states: "

I hope you are doing well. I just wanted to check in with you to let you know your case is still being actively worked. Resolving your concern is important to us andwe hope to have a response for you as soon as possible.

I am reaching out to see if you have made a choice so that we may get you case moving forward? If you are opting to wait for the final repair then no documents areneeded but if we are pursuing either a Trade Repurchase or a Straight Repurchase the following documents will be needed within 5 days.

:1. THE BUYER’S ORDER – This is ESSENTIAL, because it is the actual contract between you and your selling dealer. It has the dealer’s letterhead at the top ofthe page, along with all of the financial transaction numbers in a column on the right side.

2. If the vehicle is paid off - THE TITLE and registration – This shows proof of ownership, and whether (or not) you owe a bank or finance company for a loan.

3. A PHOTO OF THE DASHBOARD ODOMETER MILEAGE. (may be a jpg photo)

4. If the vehicle has a loan – THE RETAIL PURCHASE INSTALLMENT AGREEMENT. Please include all pages and ensure it is legible.

5. If the vehicle has a loan – THE PAYOFF STATEMENT. You must ask your finance company for this document. It will have a “payoff” amount, and a “goodthrough” date.

6. If the vehicle was leased – THE LEASE CONTRACT. For legal reasons, the documents must be SCANNED PDFs only.

If you have an urgent question or concern, please reply directly to this email.

·
Premium Member
2,385 Posts
Since Virginia has no usage fees in their lemon laws, I do not expect to have a deduction for mileage. Since I was an early adopter in 2017, there were little discounts on Bolts at the time so I am hoping to get most of the $40k sticker price back plus taxes, registration, etc. I will keep you guys updated as I finish this buyback.

Just give me my money, GM. I've got a Tesla Model 3 arriving in less than two weeks. 😀
Not to burst your bubble, but:

2. Accept return of the motor vehicle and refund to the consumer, lessor, and any lienholder as their interest may appear the full contract price, including all collateral charges, incidental damages, less a reasonable allowance for the consumer's use of the vehicle up to the date of the first notice of nonconformity that is given to the manufacturer, its agents or authorized dealer. Refunds or replacements shall be made to the consumer, lessor or lienholder, if any, as their interests may appear. The consumer shall have the unconditional right to choose a refund rather than a replacement vehicle and to drive the motor vehicle until he receives either the replacement vehicle or the refund. The subtraction of a reasonable allowance for use shall apply to either a replacement or refund of the motor vehicle. Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
BUT there are no enumerated guidelines for this, just vague language. GM is adhering to exacting usage fees guidelines in states where it is specifically detailed within the law like California or Maryland. It does not seem to be applying usage fees in states where the usage fees are not laid out specifically in the lemon law language. How do you determine a "reasonable allowance" for a usage fee when the law does not define how to calculate that? Does GM get to pick that value arbitrarily? I think that the law in VA was specifically worded this way because the legislators figured that this law would come into play during a court case where the judge would be determine the outcome on a case by case basis, not a blanket calculation that applies to all cases. This logic continues...Immediately below your highlight, the law also says that "Mileage, expenses, and reasonable loss of use necessitated by attempts to conform such motor vehicle to the express warranty may be recovered by the consumer" which means I have a right to recover "reasonable" additional funds from GM for loss if use of the vehicle due the lack of of a viable fix. But then again, this is vague language as well which is why this law seems to be written for individual legal proceedings rather than a case like this. I guess we shall see when the numbers come back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GM has agreed to buyback my 2018 Bolt. They reached out to a dealer in Oregon I selected (who I bought another EV from in 2019). The dealer is to look at my Bolt in the next few days and then decide if they will be the dealer of record for the buyback.

Any tips for me in my conversations with this dealer?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Might be worth $25 for a good car wash and interior cleaning? Assuming the dealer would hold it for repair and then sell the minute they can.

·
Registered
4 Posts
For anyone who cares. State: Oregon. Started repurchase process July 29th 2021. Received the below offer Oct. 15th 2021. MSRP on this vehicle was 43K however they were offering $5k off thus the 38K "base" price they are using. We have around 12,500 Miles and this is a 2019 vehicle.

Base Price $38,870.00
Registration/License/Title Fees Sales Tax. $ 611.00
Sales Tax $189.35
Less Usage. $4,078.44
Less Incentives/Rebate $1,000.00
Total Repurchase Amount. $34,591.91
Total Amount to Customer $34,591.91

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
For anyone who cares. State: Oregon. Started repurchase process July 29th 2021. Received the below offer Oct. 15th 2021. MSRP on this vehicle was 43K however they were offering $5k off thus the 38K "base" price they are using. We have around 12,500 Miles and this is a 2019 vehicle.

Base Price $38,870.00
Registration/License/Title Fees Sales Tax. $ 611.00
Sales Tax $189.35
Less Usage. $4,078.44
Less Incentives/Rebate $1,000.00
Total Repurchase Amount. $34,591.91
Total Amount to Customer $34,591.91
Great, thanks for the breakdown, this really helps us get a ball park of the anticipated buy back price so we can decide on the spot. BTW, looks like your usage is based on vehicle life of 120k miles... does Oregon state "reasonable usage deduction" or 120k miles for buybacks? I anticipate having about 25k miles by the time I get my buyback offer.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Great, thanks for the breakdown, this really helps us get a ball park of the anticipated buy back price so we can decide on the spot. BTW, looks like your usage is based on vehicle life of 120k miles... does Oregon state "reasonable usage deduction" or 120k miles for buybacks? I anticipate having about 25k miles by the time I get my buyback offer.
From everything I've seen posted, GM goes by the miles on your car from the photo of the odometer you send them early in the buyback process. I don't think additional added miles count against you since GM is responsible for how long the process takes. This would also be consistent with lemon laws in many states where they go by the miles you had when your first repair attempt was made.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts