Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about replacing my Jetta diesel with a Bolt but am concerned about long term longevity of Bolt. I put over 30,000 miles a year on my car. Am I foolish to believe that the Bolt batteries can make it to 200,000 miles before I will need to replace the batteries (at an unknown cost?)? What do people think?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I am thinking about replacing my Jetta diesel with a Bolt but am concerned about long term longevity of Bolt. I put over 30,000 miles a year on my car. Am I foolish to believe that the Bolt batteries can make it to 200,000 miles before I will need to replace the batteries (at an unknown cost?)? What do people think?
Wow, 30k miles a year! I think if charging/range anxiety is not an issue, the only question is how the HV battery will fare. We simply don't have any info on how a GM-engineered 60 kWh battery will hold up after 200k miles of real world use.

Based off the Volt, we have a fairly solid idea that the HV batteries are definitely resilient, but how the Bolt's battery with higher depth of discharge will last is a whole other story.

If we assume that GM's battery management systems are at least as good as Tesla's, it may make sense to look up how high mileage Teslas are holding up. That's probably the best data point (and perhaps only) we really have.

·
Registered
172 Posts
How many miles does the OP travel a day? I think that the depth of discharge and how necessary fast charging will be will determine - along with the local climate - battery longevity over those miles.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I'm planning doing ~100 miles a day, or about ~24K miles a year. I'm hoping the car lasts at least 150K miles before the battery shows any signs of real degradation. It's a crapshoot...

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
That is an insane amount of mileage... I drive like 9k miles a year.. :|

I think there was a thread on battery degradation on the forums somewhere though to help you kind of gauge where you'll be at. I'll try to look around and find it for you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I wonder if there is any way to get "help" from a magazine or Chevy as you embark on such a tortuous path for the Bolt.

I know that there are long term review cars, and probably employees have cars, but unless they lock up a testing bed with a car running the whole time, I imagine you would be one of the first to hit high mileage numbers on a Bolt.

Maybe they will do that with their fleets?

·
Registered
639 Posts
If you live anywhere close to public transit and that works out to be much more efficient for part of majority of say your mon-fri commute then things like that should be factored in.

Personally for my mon-fri 9-5 I could drive the whole way but i'm just driving to the train station and back.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
That is an insane amount of mileage... I drive like 9k miles a year.. :|

I think there was a thread on battery degradation on the forums somewhere though to help you kind of gauge where you'll be at. I'll try to look around and find it for you.
I live ~46 miles from work. I didn't start out living that far away. First it was just ~20. Then it became ~32. And finally it became ~46. When your job moves, you either move with it, or you deal with a longer commute. Moving isn't really an option with current housing prices in the Bay Area. So I've been sucking it up for the last 5 or 6 years. I am fortunate that I can come in during non-commute times, and I have a PHEV (PiP) with carpool stickers for when I do need to travel during commute times.

·
Registered
70 Posts
At 30,000 miles a year, assuming for commuting, that would be about 115 miles each day, assuming 260 working days a year, giving a total of 1700 battery charge cycles for 200,000 miles. It probably would make it. You could help it along by not fully charging or fully discharging the battery, which should not be a problem at 115 miles a day, unless in really cold conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
But it's really too early to tell how much a replacement would cost as battery pack prices can and probably will drop over time.
Is there any historical evidence to base that on? For instance, has a replacement LEAF, Prius, or Volt battery dropped in price over the years? I don't actually know the answer to this question. I'm hoping somebody does.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I believe that Prius batteries may have dropped in price, due in part to the availability of inexpensive refurbished units. The Leaf replacement pack has only been offered for sale for about a year now, and no on that.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I live ~46 miles from work. I didn't start out living that far away. First it was just ~20. Then it became ~32. And finally it became ~46. When your job moves, you either move with it, or you deal with a longer commute. Moving isn't really an option with current housing prices in the Bay Area. So I've been sucking it up for the last 5 or 6 years. I am fortunate that I can come in during non-commute times, and I have a PHEV (PiP) with carpool stickers for when I do need to travel during commute times.
I feel you on that. There really isn't much of an option in when the job moves. It's either go or be left behind and figure something out. Moving constantly even in my area isn't feasible either because of the housing market. I can imagine those carpool stickers come in handy though and the best part is you don't have to commute during rush hour. That would be insanity.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts