Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this Level 2 charger is not yet on the market, but advertised as coming soon. https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger

It offers the ability to charge as well as pull power from your EV.

I know that the Ultium Hummer EV is supposed to offer this ability, but is this even possible with the Bolt? From everything I have read that is a solid no.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
J1772 is the L2 charger port. We are being told no, the On-board charger on our Colt only converts AC to DC, not the other way around.

The DCFC PINs, which is what the Quasar should be using, I do not know if it's two way capable, but I don't see why not. It would output 360-400V DC to the Quasar and the Quasar would convert it to AC.

·
1,627 Posts
I saw this Level 2 charger is not yet on the market, but advertised as coming soon. https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger

It offers the ability to charge as well as pull power from your EV.

I know that the Ultium Hummer EV is supposed to offer this ability, but is this even possible with the Bolt? From everything I have read that is a solid no.
Specs state it is DC power, CHAdeMO or CCS Type 1, not J1772. DC charging, while technically within the J1772 spec, is not being used by manufacturers. So this is effectively a low powered DCFC with charge rates similar to Level 2 AC.

Bolt would need to support two way power flow, GM needs to do some work to support this.

V2V, V2G, V2L etc are long term strategies to use vehicle storage to assist with grid (V2G) load balancing, V2V (charging another EV), or backup power for homes (V2L). Nissan is committed to the concepts, and a few EU EV manufacturers are tinkering with it. Hyundai is offering V2V in the next gen line of EVs.

The manufacturer has to understand, extra charge\discharge activity may impact longevity of the pack, and thus has warranty implications. As more durable battery tech becomes common, such as Solid State, the impact of extra cycles won't have a significant impact on the warranty risks, so it may emerge as a more common idea at that time.

It is unlikely Bolt will support this until Ultium packs (or perhaps Ultium 2) are adopted in the model line.

·
Registered
960 Posts
This begs a dumb question: Does the DCFC socket have a active connection to the battery when the car is on? Or are there a separate set of contactors to the battery that's solely used for DC charging?

ga2500ev

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This begs a dumb question: Does the DCFC socket have a active connection to the battery when the car is on? Or are there a separate set of contactors to the battery that's solely used for DC charging?

ga2500ev
My guess is that there's 2 controls. The Bolt can be on, on and DCFCing, DCFC only.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
Does the DCFC socket have a active connection to the battery when the car is on? Or are there a separate set of contactors to the battery that's solely used for DC charging?
Absolutely not! Do you think GM is going to count on an orange plastic cap to prevent idiots from putting their finger tips on 400 VDC contacts (I've done it many times at EV events)? There is a relay in the HPDM (High Power Distribution Module) for every orange cable that connects to it, including the DC fast charge cables. That relay does not close unless the "handshake" between the EVSE, and the car is complete. If you unplugged the charge cord while those 400 VDC contacts were hot you would see an arc like that from a welder.

·
Registered
717 Posts

Kinda appropiate considering the day. :D

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Absolutely not! Do you think GM is going to count on an orange plastic cap to prevent idiots from putting their finger tips on 400 VDC contacts (I've done it many times at EV events)? There is a relay in the HPDM (High Power Distribution Module) for every orange cable that connects to it, including the DC fast charge cables. That relay does not close unless the "handshake" between the EVSE, and the car is complete. If you unplugged the charge cord while those 400 VDC contacts were hot you would see an arc like that from a welder.
I'm also fairly certain the contactor for AC charging is completely separate from the one for DC charging.

TBD whether or not there's enough wiggle room in ISO 15118 for negative current without tripping a fault.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts