Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into buying a Bolt for a while and possibly getting rid of my 2018 Leaf. The fires have me second-guessing. Do you think a used Bolt is safe right now with the battery recall?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Oh, it’s safe enough if you park outdoors, and keep the SoC between 30 and 90 %, and stay in attendance when it is plugged in. If that is doable then it will be a great car for you.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Oh, it’s safe enough if you park outdoors, and keep the SoC between 30 and 90 %, and stay in attendance when it is plugged in. If that is doable then it will be a great car for you.
That's said to be an idea State of Charge for battery life.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
That's said to be an idea State of Charge for battery life.
I know, it usually isn’t a problem to stay in that range. It seems to only become a problem for some of us when Chevy asks us (“in an abundance of caution”) to follow what we might want to do anyway.

That’s when the “you’ll have to pry the charge-to-100% button out of my dead button-pushing finger, hombre”😤

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just got a recall notice on my 2019 Bolt. Chevy is replacing the battery. My wife got one too on her 2017. I suspect all the batteries will get replaced. Anyone else get such a notice?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought a 2018 early last week with full knowledge of the recall (although the replacement batteries weren't announced yet). I have a parking space outside with access to a 110V plug which is all I need for my daily commute and errands. If I need to go on a longer driver, I'll fast charge at a station near my house. If it ends up catching fire it's parked about 40 feet from my house, and insurance will cover my losses. I'm personally not at all concerned about it.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Safety is relative.

No Bolt owners have died of a fire.

Plenty of Bolt owners have died of cancer or heart disease.

For me it's the wrong question, because prices are still 30% higher than February despite ongoing recall turmoil. I'd delay until prices at least decreased 30%, or perhaps more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 2018 early last week with full knowledge of the recall (although the replacement batteries weren't announced yet). I have a parking space outside with access to a 110V plug which is all I need for my daily commute and errands. If I need to go on a longer driver, I'll fast charge at a station near my house. If it ends up catching fire it's parked about 40 feet from my house, and insurance will cover my losses. I'm personally not at all concerned about it.
I also intend on buying a used 2017 from a VW dealership, possibly today.
just curious do you know if GMB will still honor the warranty and fix the battery buying it with a known recall? Also would you happen to know if buying one from a place other than Chevy might nullify the warranty. Thank you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's a good time to buy in my opinion. Some owners are going to want to get rid of them out of fear and uncertainty. Just a few days ago, Chevy committed to replacing all the batteries in the 2017-2019 models. That's what I was betting on when I bought mine a few weeks ago. So, buy one and get in line for a battery replacement and a re-started 8 year/100,000 mile batter warranty!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just bough an off-lease 2017 last week because of the recall. It's going to get a new 66kwh battery, and has the same fire danger as your typical F150. I can charge it outside the garage till then, and it has comprehensive coverage. I'm not afraid of the fire statistic. The end result is a great deal, or a viral video.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also intend on buying a used 2017 from a VW dealership, possibly today.
just curious do you know if GMB will still honor the warranty and fix the battery buying it with a known recall? Also would you happen to know if buying one from a place other than Chevy might nullify the warranty. Thank you.
Warranty doesn't apply in this situation. This is a recall, so even people with cars beyond the original 100k miles are going to get new batteries with a new 8/100 warranty. Also any warranty that remains on the car is fully transferable. It doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle, the warranty will be honored.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Warranty doesn't apply in this situation. This is a recall, so even people with batteries beyond the original 100k miles are going to get new batteries with a new 8/100 warranty. Also any warranty that remains on the car is fully transferable. It doesn't matter where you purchase the vehicle, the warranty will be honored.
That is excellent news thank you! Also how are you liking your bolt so far?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love it so far. I'm coming from a base model Toyota Yaris that I bought new 14 years ago so anything would be a huge upgrade, but the Bolt is really nice. Fun to drive, and I look forward to never buying gas or oil again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Right on, yeah I’m upgrading from a 2010 Corolla. Thank you again for your insight. As I said I’ll probably be purchasing a bolt today but I started getting worried thinking that GM might not honor the recall on this particular one because it wasn’t from them, but **** yeah great time to buy , get it fixed and a fresh warranty!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have been looking into buying a Bolt for a while and possibly getting rid of my 2018 Leaf. The fires have me second-guessing. Do you think a used Bolt is safe right now with the battery recall?
Not now

1 - 20 of 32 Posts