Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here using their bolt without an active OnStar Sub? Is the vehicle crippled without it? I would rather not have the extra expenses every month for OnStar. Seems too costly to me for what your supposed to be getting.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Other than the emailed monthly vehicle status report, which is part of the free Basic plan, I haven't been able to figure out why anyone needs Onstar. This is my second GM car.

·
Registered
220 Posts
It doesn't seem that useful to me so far. We remote start/precondition with the Fob, but you do get 5 years of access with the Basic Plan for free if you want the lock/unlock and other App features like precondition and vehicle status. I find the app to be slow to update and generally clunky, the OnStar "nav" is not something I'm interested in, I don't need to locate my vehicle using their system... Maybe if you live in a high crime area you'd like the vehicle theft features. I think the car is fine without a subscription for most people if I had to guess. The only thing I'm really mulling over is the unlimited 4G hotspot for 20/month, but I dunno yet.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My experience is that the basic plan is actually just for checking the vehicle status/charge level. I have used it periodically just to check how the charging is going and occasionally to increase the charge rate from 8amps to 12 while using the trickle charger.

The key fob is actually not even tied to the basic plan. My 2011 Volt ran out of the 5 year basic plan and I can still use the fob section of the app. I just can't check the vehicle status, and I can't (reliably) send directions to the in-dash nav anymore (which isn't applicable to the Bolt anyway). Obviously, their crash response programs etc. also are not functional if you don't pay the subscription.

Long story short - you probably won't notice if your subscription runs out - other than the constant email notifications from OnStar asking you to subscribe :p.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I never signed up for the free trial. My car seems to work just fine. Occasionally, a message appears on the console saying it connected to wifi hotspot 2431.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I got my Bolt 3 weeks back and never activated my trial subscription since I have no use for any of the features. A few days back I actually got a robocall through the OnStar system nagging me to activate. I really hope that's just a one-time thing...

·
Registered
592 Posts
OnStar allowed us to let relatives, fearing we were dead, know we were ok during this worst natural disaster in Ca history. 90 cell towers down and the Bolt still made calls when _nothing_ else would, see my other thread. Will I keep minutes and OnStar services going forward? Take a guess.

·
Registered
168 Posts
OnStar allowed us to let relatives, fearing we were dead, know we were ok during this worst natural disaster in Ca history. 90 cell towers down and the Bolt still made calls when _nothing_ else would, see my other thread. Will I keep minutes and OnStar services going forward? Take a guess.
Thanks to the much higher powered antenna built into the car! Definitely a benefit of OnStar.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I think I'm just going to let it run out I'm not paying that money. I understand about the natural disaster but if that's the case and I don't have it can I just hit the OnStar button and activate service then? Otherwise I can't justify spending hundreds of dollars a year. I think it's terrible that Chevrolet wants to keep milking you after they sold you a $40,000 car they want to keep milking you for more money every year via an OnStar subscription.

Reactions: borkbork
1 - 10 of 10 Posts