Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I’m getting ready to buy a used 2017 Bolt Premier with 22k miles through CarMax. Trying to decide whether it’s worth spending an extra $1,600 to get the extended warranty with a $100 deductible (which would cover the car for another 5 years or until it reaches 75,000 miles). The battery and electric motor are covered by GM until 8 years or 100,000 miles, so I’m mainly concerned about the potential for problems in other areas of the car.

Consumer Reports predicts average reliability for the 2017 Bolt, and flags “Drive System” and “In-car Electronics” as the most problematic areas but doesn’t go into detail about the specific problems in those areas. Looking around this forum, I’m seeing reports of all kinds of issues that could be very expensive to fix — axle replacements, infotainment system failures, rearview camera failures, etc. However, I’m also cognizant of selection bias given that nobody posts on a troubleshooting forum just to let everyone know that their car is working perfectly. :p

For those of you who have been part of the Bolt community for awhile, would you recommend spending $1,600 to get the CarMax warranty? Or are the expensive repairs I’m reading about here more the exception than the rule for this car?
How much was the car? How much is left on the bumper to bumper warranty? Does Carmax offer any kind of warranty without paying the extra 1600?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I ended up not getting the car at all. With the battery 100% charged, it was showing a range estimate of 140 miles on a temperate day in June. I know this is a guess-o-meter that adapts based on your driving style (I have a Volt already so I’m very used to this) but I cannot imagine how that could account for a deduction of almost 100 miles from the EPA range.

I read some other forum threads and called a couple of Chevy service departments, and the consensus was that there was either something wrong with the car or it had been treated very poorly by its previous owner (e.g. constant DC fast charging sessions). Either way, I decided it was best to steer clear.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts