· Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
14,440 Posts
It is musical chairs!

· Registered
14,440 Posts

· Registered
2017 Bolt with every possible option (it was the dealer show car)
854 Posts
Partner/supplier diversification too. Not surprising, you have to recall that so far GM has been cutting it's teeth with EV's, the Volt/Bolt were learning platforms rather than meant to be commercial successes. Now that they've built up experience it makes sense to spread out to other partners.

· Administrator
5,988 Posts
Partner/supplier diversification too. Not surprising, you have to recall that so far GM has been cutting it's teeth with EV's, the Volt/Bolt were learning platforms rather than meant to be commercial successes. Now that they've built up experience it makes sense to spread out to other partners.
If I am not mistaken, GM started Volt and Spark with A123 as their battery supplier?

Tesla uses several battery partners, it makes a lot of sense to diversify.

· Registered
53 Posts
I think the Spark was a learning platform for the Bolt. The Bolt is moderately successful and a good introduction for GM into the BEV world. They look poised to dominate the EV market in the US if they keep their focus. Batteries have always been the stumbling block for acceptance of EVs and it's not at all surprising that everyone is trying to get the new great thing.

· Registered
854 Posts
Yeah I don't know what to think about this. All the Tesla fanboys are saying 'finally' but those guys know diddly squat. There's tradoffs in all engineering, but my belief/understanding that the main with cylindrical is in production, because the format is so established and cheap to make. From an engineering standpoint pouches are better for mainly energy density - nobody seems to remember when Jobs switched from cylinders to pouches for MacBooks to great acclaim.

My guess is if they go do it, the reason is mainly diversification as others have said and production costs/efficiency. Probably will only be used on the lower performance cars like Equinox.

· Registered
14,440 Posts
- nobody seems to remember when Jobs switched from cylinders to pouches for MacBooks to great acclaim.
The operating environment, and charge rate, for a MacBook is very different than a vehicle. The energy density of a cell is only part of the consideration. If that cell requires extra packaging to prevent damage or fire, in an accident, and efficient liquid thermal management, the "right" cell type might be entirely different.

· Registered
854 Posts
The operating environment, and charge rate, for a MacBook is very different than a vehicle ...
Clearly, I just didn't see it necessary to elaborate some of the other constraints. As I said engineering is always about compromise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts