Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I took ownership last Thurday the charge number were MAX 420 (KM), mid 383 and MIN auround 320.

This morning my Bolt EV was full charged (using the 120V unit - my 240V charging unit will be installed tomorrow) and today's number are MAX 337, mid 287 and MIN 226.

Is there a problem with my car's battery or is it only ajusting to my actual driving techniques like "normal" fuel car do ?

Thanks!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Is there a problem with my car's battery or is it only adjusting to my actual driving techniques like "normal" fuel car do ?
It's a bit early to say for certain, but adjusting to your driving style and conditions is the most likely cause. Most people have found that the range estimate is artificially low when they pick it up from the dealer, but yours was right at the US EPA estimate. Since you're giving range in km, I assume you're in Canada and it's actually cold there, so if you're using the heater and enjoying how quickly this car can accelerate, that could easily explain the drop in predicted range. You also might want to check your tire pressures. Hopefully the dealer filled them correctly, but I've seen reports of some dealers just using a rule of thumb and setting them lower than recommended.

2017 Bolt EV
2016 Spark EV

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Bolt shows around 260 -270 km range with the heat on and my driving techniques. It isn't super cold yet, but it's not warm either. I suspect that I'm already seeing the range drop because I just leave the heat on Auto and don't worry about it unless I have a long trip ahead of me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Just adjusting. Even if the weather stayed warmer, it would drift down further to summer averages. Then, when it gets colder (depending on where you live) it will go down even further. Don't confuse GoM ("Guess-o-meter") range readings with battery charge level. The range estimates incorporate how much charge you have (SoC) but the "bars" show the "charge". The range readings are then modified by "technique", " terrain" [both gauged from the past conditions], "temperature (outside)", and "temperature (set on the inside)" [both gauged from current conditions]. You have control over two of these and two are up to Mother Nature! I have found the range estimates to be very accurate. I have driven to less than 20 miles left, but not to where the GoM says "I ain't tellin'!"

1 - 4 of 4 Posts