Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you shift directly into L mode with one really long shift instead of the tiresome shift and wait for D to appear then shift again to get L?

...or is there a way you can have L be the default shift from Park or Neutral? It's really annoying to have to double click!

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Tap the shifter down twice while depressing the shifter button. It will end up in L even if done rapidly.

No way to set L as default, but tapping down twice literally takes one second. I do it now without even thinking about it.

Reactions: ibboltin

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just start my drive in "D" (by depressing the side button and pressing down on the shifter), and once in "D" I just tap the shifter down once more and it goes to "L".

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
I think he mis-titled his query. He used the word “easy” but meant “direct” as he described in the body of the post. There has always been an easy way. There is no direct way.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm confused also by why they named it 'L' when L on ICE cars is in fact a low gear setting where high speed damages the transmission in that mode.

One more thought, why doesn't L come first instead of D...competitors' vehicles like the i3 have only an L mode and no D mode. One-pedal driving is forced on you.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm confused also by why they named it 'L' when L on ICE cars is in fact a low gear setting where high speed damages the transmission in that mode.

One more thought, why doesn't L come first instead of D...competitors' vehicles like the i3 have only an L mode and no D mode. One-pedal driving is forced on you.
Most likeley because L for low gear typically has engine braking associated with it. So the behavour would be similar. If they names in O for one pedal one could cunfuse that with Overdrive.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm a double-pumper too: two quick taps of the gear shift and I'm set for the duration of the drive.

They should have used a 'G' for 'golf cart'. My associates who golf tell me that all golf carts operate in this manner. It's probably a safety feature on golf carts, so they remain stopped any time the operator gets out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It's probably a safety feature on golf carts, so they remain stopped any time the operator gets out of the vehicle.
Glen, I need to correct you on this mis-statement

It's probably a safety feature on golf carts, so they remain stopped any time the DRUNK operator gets out of the vehicle.

Everytime I have been golfing there is a whole lotta beer drinking going on! by the 8th hole, where the beer kiosk usually is, everybody feeling it! :) Our host with a little too much drinking crashed his cart into a tree :) To me its all about the people we meet, nah I lied its the beer drinking :)

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

GM wanted the shifter labeling to be similar to what’s found in an ICE car, the typical PRNDL pattern.

In that pattern L always comes last.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
This was why I liked the Gen 2 Volt's shifter so much: it was just like a traditional shifter but I could shift straight into L when I wanted to. From other's tips, a slight nudge forward and you'd be back into D. Want L again? Slam that shifter back. Felt like more visceral compared to the Bolt's joystick.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I prefer the double tap to shift to low and then just tap it again to shift between D and L.
Even though I never use D, it's a pretty simple setup. Once you get use to it, it becomes second nature.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I tried it yesterday... it is easy and it became second nature in 24 hours... not annoying at all.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Glen, I need to correct you on this mis-statement

It's probably a safety feature on golf carts, so they remain stopped any time the DRUNK operator gets out of the vehicle.

Everytime I have been golfing there is a whole lotta beer drinking going on! by the 8th hole, where the beer kiosk usually is, everybody feeling it! :) Our host with a little too much drinking crashed his cart into a tree :) To me its all about the people we meet, nah I lied its the beer drinking :)
I learned loooong ago that the pros don't drink and drive. By about the fourth hole I'm starting to loosen up, and five through nine are stellar (for me). After "shots for everybody!" at the tenth tee, I'm trashed by the fourteenth hole. I get my money's worth (stroke-wise) in the back nine. Then it's off to the "nineteenth hole" for copious amounts of water and story-telling. A good time is had by all.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I learned loooong ago that the pros don't drink and drive. By about the fourth hole I'm starting to loosen up, and five through nine are stellar (for me). After "shots for everybody!" at the tenth tee, I'm trashed by the fourteenth hole. I get my money's worth (stroke-wise) in the back nine. Then it's off to the "nineteenth hole" for copious amounts of water and story-telling. A good time is had by all.
Yeah I know you gott taper it off and then spend time in the clubhouse for dinner, or have a DD and get looped

1 - 17 of 17 Posts