Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love for this to be a drop-in connector. I have Apple Play in my car, but rarely use it. I don't usually take the extra time and effort to find the cable and plug in the phone. I did at the beginning, but after a few dozen times, it got to be more effort that what its worth.

Since bluetooth can do Pandora, Maps and voice calls, Apple Play's value diminished.

But a drop-in cradle would solve all of that. It wouldn't be too difficult to build in. Just take the most popular phones (Galaxy and iPhone), add a few guides for different sized version, and voila. You've got another high-tech customer.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
No, it's just a pocket.

I recall that it may have wireless charging capability though. I never saw what standard.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Apple does not natively support wireless charging on the current iPhone. You can buy adapter cases that enable it, but it's not a built-in feature. In terms of wireless CarPlay, it's fairly imminent. Evidently VW is going to offer it soon, but was prevented from showcasing it at CES because Apple wanted to do one of its "amazing" dog & pony shows to debut it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I also heard that the wireless charging works, but not well. Its not going to charge your phone very quickly or effectively.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Too bad it doesn't sound to be that efficient with smartphones. At least when it comes to the automotive industry there are higher expectations from a system like this. So far i've been okay with using the current charging system, won't be in much of a rush to go wireless.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any suggestions for where to put a "+" size iPhone ? It doesn't seem to fit anywhere. Too large for the wireless charging slot, won't fit in the cubby under the dash. Mountings ?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thereis a rubber insert in the phone slot with gripper edges. If it is removable, a larger phone might fit ok.
Yes, I tried taking the rubber out of the phone slot (I have a large 6P). Only problem I found was there is a deep hole that would be hard to clean out, or over time crap will fall down there.

I ended up putting the rubber back in that phone slot, then getting a vent magnet mount and an 90 deg angular usb-c cord and putting the phone landscape on the bar below the vents.

Not ideal, but I was not a fan of also not being able to use my phone apps when it's in "Android Auto". So I uninstalled it and just use maps.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, I tried taking the rubber out of the phone slot (I have a large 6P). Only problem I found was there is a deep hole that would be hard to clean out, or over time crap will fall down there.

I ended up putting the rubber back in that phone slot, then getting a vent magnet mount and an 90 deg angular usb-c cord and putting the phone landscape on the bar below the vents.

Not ideal, but I was not a fan of also not being able to use my phone apps when it's in "Android Auto". So I uninstalled it and just use maps.
I have a large 6P - Nexus, 5.7" screen. It fits fine, no need to pull the rubber out. Did yours not fit? How is that possible?:confused:

I agree on Android Auto. I'll try it out a bit longer, but may go back to mounting the phone on the steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I've never actually used a steering wheel phone mount.. are they convenient ? I can imagine you wouldn't have a charger hooked up to it but when turning the wheel and what not, how does it feel?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've never actually used a steering wheel phone mount.. are they convenient ? I can imagine you wouldn't have a charger hooked up to it but when turning the wheel and what not, how does it feel?
Convenient, yes, in that you get the phone in a very visible location. It is something you need to work around as you turn the wheel, but I got used to it pretty quick. You're right, it's a lot more cumbersome if it's plugged in, but can be done. I used something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012A25M8A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to use AA, but the restrictions and limitations are pretty bad.

·
Registered
6 Posts
iPhone insert… please?

I wish I had a 3D printer. I would print an ABS insert for this slot that would have a slot to insert and hold a Lightning connector for my phone and a cut out near the top for the cord to travel to the USB port. I have an iPhone in a fairly thin case, but it won’t fit in the existing slot because the rubber insert grips the phone too tightly due to the thickness of the rubber and the bulges that are meant to secure it. It seems to me that it would be trivial for a third party accessory maker or GM itself to create suitable inserts for iPhones or whatever phone. Since the iPhone’s CarPlay is known to be a superior experience to Android auto, it would make sense to offer this alternate insert complete with a place to route a charge cable.

If any clever fellow or gal does have access to a 3D printer and a Bolt EV and decides to create one of these, I’m sure they could sell them.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Convenient, yes, in that you get the phone in a very visible location. It is something you need to work around as you turn the wheel, but I got used to it pretty quick. You're right, it's a lot more cumbersome if it's plugged in, but can be done. I used something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012A25M8A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'd like to use AA, but the restrictions and limitations are pretty bad.
Unfortunately that link is down :(

But I can imagine it'll take some time to adapt to having it on the steering wheel when making bigger turns. But much like getting anything new, over time you'd get used to it. I'm definitely going to have to experiment with different mounts though and see which would work best..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Replacement rubber phone insert.

Does anyone know what this is called and how to get another one? It has numbers on it, but they don’t seem to mean much to search engines. I’d like to get a second one to experiment on. I think I can cut out the bumps and patch the holes with… dunno, tape? But if I cut up the one in the car without having a viable replacement, spouse will not be happy.

If it didn’t have those indentations, then the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus would fit, even if they can’t use the wireless charger. I just want to use the slot for phone storage. Then I can use a 4-inch right angle USB cable to power it.

Ideally, whomever made this would have one without those indents. But I’d settle for just getting a duplicate.

Attachments

·
Registered
544 Posts
Does anyone know what this is called and how to get another one? It has numbers on it, but they don’t seem to mean much to search engines. I’d like to get a second one to experiment on. I think I can cut out the bumps and patch the holes with… dunno, tape? But if I cut up the one in the car without having a viable replacement, spouse will not be happy.

If it didn’t have those indentations, then the iPhone 6 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus would fit, even if they can’t use the wireless charger. I just want to use the slot for phone storage. Then I can use a 4-inch right angle USB cable to power it.

Ideally, whomever made this would have one without those indents. But I’d settle for just getting a duplicate.

I'm a little lost then. I have an iPhone 6 Plus and my wife has the iPhone 7 Plus and they both fit just fine in the pocket. I mean they don't go all the way down into it, but width wise they fit fine. I just got a little 4 inch charging cord and plug in for apple car play. I just leave the 4 inch cord plugged in and it just kind sits there and doesn't get in the way.

Do you have a case on your phone? I don't use a case so that is the only difference I can think of.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What trim did you get? Did you get the one with the worthless (to me) wireless charging? Notice the large indentations in the pocket? They cause a LOT of friction on the phone to the point where it won’t go in without considerable (way too much) force. It’s not really the WIDTH that’s the problem so much as it is the thickness. Those bump outs make it not worth the effort.

Here’s my case:

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts

Just take it out. My 7plus with its rubber case fits fine into the slot after removing the rubber insert. That way you can always put the rubber insert back in if you want to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only thing I don’t like about that is it’s an unfinished slot. I know it’s picky. But I’m concerned things will fall in there. And I like the finished look with it in place. I thought of a few possible solutions, but they require a spare insert, which I can’t seem to find. I could just cut out the humps. I could find something to put into the slot that forces it to a rectangular shape, like a squared tube. What I don’t know. Possibly a 3D printed item. I could also cut top of the spare off to finish the edge and cut the bottom off to block anything from falling through.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts