38,245 MSRP
  • 2,000 dealer discount
  • 3,000 customer cash
  • 2,500 purchase bonus cash
  • 1,000 select market cash
  • 1,000 current GM lessee loyalty
  • 1,000 well qualified buyer, 0% for 72 months
Net cost: 27,745

Is the tax calculated from MSRP of 38, 245 or from net cost of 27,745?

Thanks,

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well...it's really 30,745 to you. That one little line that says customer cash.
My tax jurisdiction will charge tax based on the gross.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I found this:
Customer cash, also called bonus cash, is a rebate the manufacturer gives to buyers. Buyers typically apply it to the price of the vehicle, but they can sometimes opt to keep the money for themselves. Bonus cash can also be applied to the finance price of a lease.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Customer cash, market cash, etc: could that also be cash the dealer 'gives' you as a 'rebate' that he really is lending you, as part of the gross amount financed - so in reality you pay that back with interest?

I've never financed a car, paid cash, avoided much incomprehensible bs. "How much should the Cashier's Check be that I'll bring in tomorrow?" ...is the only way to compare costs between dealers.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The customer cash and the bonus cash is the $5,500 chevrolet rebate on offer right now.
The $2,000 is all the dealer is marking down themselves (you can get more with negotiation).
All the rest are programs you have to qualify for.

Prior chevy lease?
Finance through gm at 6.75%
Qualifying trade in?
Etc...
Bunch of chevrolet rebates many people will not qualify for but they list them on the sales ad’s to make it look cheaper.

That being said, you can probably negotiate an LT for probably about $28,500 depending on options right now if you are willing to work it.
So that’s under $25k when you add the federal rebate. Not bad.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: this is the latest info I have, not the same car in the 1st post, though.

MSRP 38,600 (I don't have the exact number with me, typing from memory and rounding the numbers)
Total discount of 13,240
Net price 25,360 + TTL = 28,800.
I have a couple grands from GM Card earnings that will reduce it to 26,800

I'd debating whether to purchase (will be financed) or lease it. I've leased a lot of cars, like to change them every few years. The lease terms would be 36 months, 2K down, and payment about 360, 15000 miles per year.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
That would be $15,000 to lease a car for 3 years, or $415/mo. My guess is the car will hold value better over that period of time, and that you'd be better off purchasing, and selling private party whenever you feel like it (no contractual obligations). I think used ones are still going for $19k right now, and once the federal tax credits are completely expired, I expect used values to remain strong.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would be $15,000 to lease a car for 3 years, or $415/mo. My guess is the car will hold value better over that period of time, and that you'd be better off purchasing, and selling private party whenever you feel like it (no contractual obligations). I think used ones are still going for $19k right now, and once the federal tax credits are completely expired, I expect used values to remain strong.
But if I buy, I'll have to pay the sales tax (about $2900) on the entire purchase price, which I will not recoup when selling. If I lease, the tax is only for the 36 months.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My last post on any subject for today as Nurse Ratchet is coming with meds.
Any deal is a good deal if you get what you want for a price you want to pay

1 - 14 of 14 Posts