Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone.

Not sure how to view this situation. I’m in Canada.

I contacted the local Chevrolet dealer today as usual asking if they heard anything. I managed to get an order number but this was the response of the dealer agent:
“So my sales manager says that allocation is being taken as GM sees fit. He doesn’t feel that you can expect your until Spring at this point.”

I then contacted Chevrolet via chat with my order number and I received the following email:
“I just got the response from our national order desk. They advised me that there was no information available on your vehicle as yet. I would suggest that you check with us in the next week or so for updates. Hopefully they will be more substantive.”

Anyone has been though the same situation? I am guessing this is because of the low number in allocation to us up north...

If I stay on top of things directly with Chevrolet at this point now that I have an order number, would that make a difference?

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had an order # for my 2018 since Oct.24 I like yourself contacted the dealer today to see if anything has changed, his response was "all Bolts are sitting in the preliminary stage". So let the waiting continue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had an order # for my 2018 since Oct.24 I like yourself contacted the dealer today to see if anything has changed, his response was "all Bolts are sitting in the preliminary stage". So let the waiting continue.
Ours was built 11/21 and arrived today...
Did you ask your dealer for your GM Workbench history? What’s your order status #?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ours was built 11/21 and arrived today...
Did you ask your dealer for your GM Workbench history? What’s your order status #?
Don’t we need a build date to have a Workbench History? Neither of us has received that...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I ordered mine form an ON dealer in february, just an order and barely that because at that time they did not even know whether it was going to be a 2017, and they did not have 2018 prices. So I gave them a deposit and got a receipt. I got a call. I cannot remember in september sometime saying they received confimation of a further allocation order of 2017s and was I still wanting a 2017 or wanted to wait for a 2018, to which I said "get me my bolt" they said OK and that was it until I got a call just before halloween that it was in! Got nothing before that no vin no work order, but maybe I should have asked for it in september when they knew.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Ours was built 11/21 and arrived today
Is it a 2017 model or a 2018 model ?

Don’t we need a build date to have a Workbench History? Neither of us has received that...
“Workbench” is an internal GM buzzword for a vehicle ordering/scheduling/distribution system they’ve been working on for the last decade or so. Then there’s “global connect” which is a newer adjunct system to that. Best to stay away from references to either of those. They represent vintage Old GM busily at work.

Key to ascertaining status of your order: using your order number, get updates to your order’s order event number and corresponding event description from below list. (devbolt gave us this list last year). The best source for order event info is your dealer who communicates regularly with GM’s district manager who covers your dealer’s territory. The second best source if dealer can’t be bothered is the ‘CCC’ department 1-800 number in Oshawa. Certain key personnel in CCC have access to the (blah) system and your order status can be looked up by CCC if you have your dealer’s code and your order number. However this source not insightful, CCC typically doesn’t know what specific work might be going on between dealer and district manager with respect to your order.

If the ON Canada ordering, sequencing and scheduling are being handled for the 2018 model Bolt EV similar to the way they were handled a year ago for the 2017 Bolt EV, here are some things to expect:
- due to the specific dealer-by-dealer allotment process for the limited numbers of Bolt EV destined for Canada, the (blah) system is not used to the fullest and some manual intervention occurs
- your order number initially gets assigned status 1100 or ‘00’. At that point it’s only just been accepted by the system as entered by the dealer
- it may look like it’s sitting in 1100 or ‘00’ status for a very long time, but behind the scenes the dealer with DM may be staging your order to be released to plant in the next manual batch(es). Which batch your order gets into depends largely on your place in line within your dealer’s allotment of Bolts.
- for example last year if your dealer had 3 Bolts allotted to him and your’s was #2 in line out of the 3, you could expect your order to be submitted to plant in the 2nd quarter (Apr-Jun). If you were 3rd in line out of 3 you’d get scheduled in 3rd quarter (July-Sep). If dealer took your order and you were beyond his allotment, you probably didn’t get your Bolt as a 2017 model and might have been flipped to a 2018 if you still wanted one
- once your order gets beyond ‘00’ it may scoot quite quickly within a month or so to a plant build week. Called ‘target production week’. Once it has a plant build week it usually gets built in that week barring unforeseen events (supplier problems, bad weather, etc)
- beyond plant build week vehicle may take 1-3 weeks to arrive at ON dealership

GM order event code list as kindly supplied by devbolt:
The event codes are:
1100, Preliminary order accepted
2000, Order accepted by GM
2030, Order re-edited (if necessary)
2051, Order changed thru Web
2500, Order preferenced
3000, Order accepted by production control
3100, Order available to sequence
3300, Order scheduled for production
3400, Order broadcast
3800, Order produced
4000, Available to ship
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped
4300, Intermediate Delivery
4B00, Bayed
5000, Delivered to the dealer
6000, Delivered to the customer
9000, Order Cancelled

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the detailed messages. This is definitely a thread I will keep a look on throughout this phase of buying the Bolt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I placed my order end of November, just got an order number but nothing beyond that. I am #1 on my dealers allotment so hopefully that will mean something...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I placed my order end of November, just got an order number but nothing beyond that. I am #1 on my dealers allotment so hopefully that will mean something...

Having the order number did nothing for me. For two weeks I contacted Chevrolet and nothing. These are two emails I received from dealership:

“Your order is in preliminary status. You would not be able to see that anywhere. The only orders that can be seen (by Chevrolet) are the ones that are picked up and processed to be built.

You are in an order cue. Once they pick it and set a build date it becomes active. Sorry but I can’t tell you more.”

So... until I receive an email from the dealer I cannot contact Chevrolet directly because they will have nothing in their system.
I got a “merry Xmas” email from the dealer today which means I will probably hear nothing until 2018.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Having the order number did nothing for me. For two weeks I contacted Chevrolet and nothing. These are two emails I received from dealership:

“Your order is in preliminary status. You would not be able to see that anywhere. The only orders that can be seen (by Chevrolet) are the ones that are picked up and processed to be built.

You are in an order cue. Once they pick it and set a build date it becomes active. Sorry but I can’t tell you more.”

So... until I receive an email from the dealer I cannot contact Chevrolet directly because they will have nothing in their system.
I got a “merry Xmas” email from the dealer today which means I will probably hear nothing until 2018.
If you don`t already know, find out these two more pieces of information from your dealer:
1.) the number of 2018 model Bolt EV`s allotted to the dealership,
2.) your place in line out of dealer’s allotment number from 1.) above

Last year when I was ordering. Out of 9 dealers I contacted only one of them refused to give me the above information. As it turned out that one guy misled customers in taking orders w/deposits under the false premise there was allotment remaining. Essentially a ``bait and switch``.

With your order number available, phone GM Canada ``Customer Care Centre`` 1-800-263-3777 and ask for a staff person who can look up status of your Bolt EV order.

If dealer has in fact submitted your order to the (blah) system, the GM Canada Customer Care Centre should be able to confirm with you, that your order is presently in event status ``00``. Or maybe you`re lucky enough that it has proceeded beyond that ? But at this point I doubt it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ordered in march, it arrived in July. I must have followed up with Chevrolet every week for a few months before they gave me anything. It's a waiting game - you are in line, be happy with that. You are not alone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I ordered in march, it arrived in July. I must have followed up with Chevrolet every week for a few months before they gave me anything. It's a waiting game - you are in line, be happy with that. You are not alone.
(4) months sounds totally reasonable for something like this. In '15 my neighbour waited almost (3) months for a new Corrolla built in Cambridge Ontario, delivered to Burlington Ontario.

·
Registered
979 Posts
(4) months sounds totally reasonable for something like this. In '15 my neighbour waited almost (3) months for a new Corrolla built in Cambridge Ontario, delivered to Burlington Ontario.
Being realistic. I don’t think jimmyspeed’s experience was typical. Because one year ago the entire 2017 model Bolt EV allotment for Ontario was sold out by around the end of January. jimmy must have been lucky to tag someone else’s Bolt order cancellation “slot”. An acquaintance of mine did the same thing, he took over an order that someone else wanted out of. That was the only way to get a 2017 Bolt post-January ordering.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Being realistic. I don’t think jimmyspeed’s experience was typical. Because one year ago the entire 2017 model Bolt EV allotment for Ontario was sold out by around the end of January. jimmy must have been lucky to tag someone else’s Bolt order cancellation “slot”. An acquaintance of mine did the same thing, he took over an order that someone else wanted out of. That was the only way to get a 2017 Bolt post-January ordering.
Not quite; I was one of two people trying to sign for the last allotment at my dealer - they ended up being 5/5 and I was 6/5 but they still took my order. Told me they didn't know when it would come in though.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you don`t already know, find out these two more pieces of information from your dealer:
1.) the number of 2018 model Bolt EV`s allotted to the dealership,
2.) your place in line out of dealer’s allotment number from 1.) above

Last year when I was ordering. Out of 9 dealers I contacted only one of them refused to give me the above information. As it turned out that one guy misled customers in taking orders w/deposits under the false premise there was allotment remaining. Essentially a ``bait and switch``.

With your order number available, phone GM Canada ``Customer Care Centre`` 1-800-263-3777 and ask for a staff person who can look up status of your Bolt EV order.

If dealer has in fact submitted your order to the (blah) system, the GM Canada Customer Care Centre should be able to confirm with you, that your order is presently in event status ``00``. Or maybe you`re lucky enough that it has proceeded beyond that ? But at this point I doubt it.
I bet they have not because this was on another email:
“So my sales manager says that allocation is being taken as GM sees fit. He doesn’t feel that you can expect your until Spring at this point.”

So the only thing I can do is ask Chevrolet canada weekly until I hear they have something in the system...

·
Registered
979 Posts
How many 2018 model year Bolt EV's in total, are being allocated to Canada ?

For the 2017 model there was 1,000 in total. Even after the 2017 model production was extended through December it seems Canada still got only about 1,000. Split almost exclusively to the provinces with government rebates: BC, ON and PQ.

Another thread raised the possibility of 2019 model year starting up earlier, perhaps in Aug-Sep timeframe. Which would be the usual model year plant changeover timing. If true that would cut down the 2018 model production to around 8-9 months worth.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just got an update from the dealership, my car is being built next week. 2018 Premier. :)

To confirm what dealer told me, I checked with GM via live chat at chevrolet.ca. Gave them the order# and dealership# to check the order status. They also indicated the car is scheduled to be built next week.

I had placed the order on 23rd Oct 2017 for a 2017 premier in Orange burst with DCII and infotainment packages.

Super excited...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got an update from the dealership, my car is being built next week. 2018 Premier. :)

To confirm what dealer told me, I checked with GM via live chat at chevrolet.ca. Gave them the order# and dealership# to check the order status. They also indicated the car is scheduled to be built next week.

I had placed the order on 23rd Oct 2017 for a 2017 premier in Orange burst with DCII and infotainment packages.

Super excited...
That is great news! I placed my order with Hogan in Scarborough on November 22, 2017 and hoping GM takes my order soon. I have an order # and GM chat had no update but I believe GM took the first 4 orders from Hogan and I am #6 on their 2018 allocation list. If I got it by May I would be happy. Congrats! :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
CORRECTION: 2017 Bolt sales in Canada

How many 2018 model year Bolt EV's in total, are being allocated to Canada ?

For the 2017 model there was 1,000 in total
CORRECTION !! :eek: It appears that a total of 2,122 (2017 model) Bolt EV's were delivered in Canada during the 2017 calendar year (January-December 2017). According to this source:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/gm/chevrolet/chevrolet-bolt-ev/chevrolet-bolt-ev-sales-numbers/

One year ago there was a big fight to get a Bolt EV order because at that time GM was limiting Canada to only 1,000 2017 model Bolts total. And then the 2017 model build was extended through December because GM wanted to maximize California ZEV credits. Obviously GM must have relented later in the year & sent more Bolts to Canada.

Let's hope GM will do the same for 2018 model. The fact that the $CAD is now above 80-cents USD, and unlike the US there's no mfr incentives on Bolt here (due to massive provincial rebates in the major markets BC,ON,PQ). It should be a good proposition for GM to send more of those babies to Canada!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I got a call from my dealer that my order had been "picked" by GM to be put into the production queue, and it should be built sometime next month... at least they are keeping me updated. I should get a TPW (tentative production week) this week sometime.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts