Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe it is possible to remotely start the car (using the key FOB or the app) and that this will activate the A/C at its last setting. But is it also possible to set a timer for pre-conditioning?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Have the Bolt turn on the heat/AC at a pre-specified time? I don't think that's possible, at least I'm not aware of a feature like that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I couldn't find it mentioned in the user manual but this seems like a *major* oversight. Leafs have had it for years. Being able to heat/cool the car before you leave in the morning using grid power instead of battery is a big deal.

Patrick

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't find it in the on-line owners manual either. But it seems nothing of the remote control app is in the manual. So I was thinking it could still be part of the remote control app ...

If the app doesn't support it directly, perhaps we can create some sort of automation on the phone (e.g. Tasker profile on Android) that leverages the app to achieve this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I guess ultimately, it's a bigger issue for the Leaf because of its lower range (and when cold weather REALLY hits it), so if it's not there it's not the end of the world, but it's kind of a no-brainer to include. Perhaps with a software update, or via the app (which they don't document at all - as it's not even clear if you can remotely (internet) turn on the climate control(!).
It's safest to assume that if it's not documented, it's not there, and never will be.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, on the Dutch Opel site it says:

MYOPEL APP.

• Uw auto terugvinden.
• De deuren van op afstand vergrendelen en ontgrendelen.
• Het dichtstbijzijnde oplaadpunt vinden.
• Verwarming of airconditioning aanzetten.
• De meest efficiënte route vinden om uw bereik te vergroten.
Or, in Google-translate English:

MYOPEL APP.

• Retrieve your car.
• Lock the doors remotely and unlock.
• Find the nearest charging point.
• Turning heating or air conditioning.
• To find the most efficient route to extend your reach.
Or, in more proper English:

MYOPEL APP.

• Relocate your car.
• Lock and unlock the doors remotely.
• Find the nearest charging point.
• Turning on heating or air conditioning.
• Find the most efficient route to extend your range.
Don't know whether that will apply to Bolts as well. There should be an early owner by now on this forum that can tell .... ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
There doesn't seem to be a setting to schedule the preconditioning of the car automatically. But you can do it manually. According to the salesperson, after you activate, the car will stop automatically after 10 minutes if you do not enter/start the car.

For my Bolt, in the iOS version of the MyChevrolet app allows for:

KeyFob Commands:
1. Lock and Unlock
2. Precondition and Stop PreCondition
3. Horns and Lights (Start and Stop)

Vehicle Status:
1. EV Range Remaining / % Battery Indicator / Find Charging Station
2. Charge Status (Plugged In or not Indicator / Set Charge Limit / Modify Charge Setting / Notification Settings)
3. Tire Pressure
4. Efficiency (# mi/kWH) in Lifetime and Since Full Charge
5. Odometer Lifetime & Since Full Charge
6. Check for Recall

WiFi Hotspot Settings
1. Manage Data Plan / Call OnStar
2. Hotspot Settings

Parked Location
(Basically locating the vehicle, setting timers, notes, photos, etc.)

Special Sponsored Offers/Locations

Owners Manual

Preferred Dealer Setting

Contact Help

Request an Appointment

Request Assistance

·
Registered
735 Posts
Maybe with enough of us making noise about this not being a feature to the extend we want it, if we make enough noise then maybe Chevy will get the ball rolling on an update to make it happen.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@Cardyin,

Thanks for that info. Good to know.

I assume it all works over 3G / 4G? Is there a single button for starting and stopping preconditioning? Or is there one button for start and one for stop?

·
Registered
106 Posts
@patrickb: Though I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing that some level of OnStar that is required for remote functionality.

I don't have enough posts to post a URL, so I can't post a direct link but if you go to Google, then search for

chevrolet onstar remotelink

The first link says that we have 5 years of functionality for free. I'll ask the OnStar person next time I'm in my car just to confirm.
@Ampera e: There is a start button and a separate stop button for each function.

Data is 4G LTE provided through partnership with AT&T. You can by data in blocks separately at different rates, or if you are an AT&T wireless customer on a mobile share plan, you can add the car as a "device" on your plan for $10, just like any other tablet, etc.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
@patrickb: Though I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing that some level of OnStar that is required for remote functionality.

I don't have enough posts to post a URL, so I can't post a direct link but if you go to Google, then search for

chevrolet onstar remotelink

The first link says that we have 5 years of functionality for free. I'll ask the OnStar person next time I'm in my car just to confirm.

@Ampera e: There is a start button and a separate stop button for each function.

Data is 4G LTE provided through partnership with AT&T. You can by data in blocks separately at different rates, or if you are an AT&T wireless customer on a mobile share plan, you can add the car as a "device" on your plan for $10, just like any other tablet, etc.
We get this extended free subscription because we are (gamma?) testers. They want data on how we are using these cars and how they react to real world use. Be aware they are recording all the data.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
That's to be expected as the app can display real-time Bolt information and send navigation directions to the system, I'm under the assumption that some data will be mined from it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts