Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started a similar thread on the Tesla forum, and the responses I got convinced me that I would not be buying/leasing a Tesla anytime soon. Apparently the Tesla-owner definition of "significant issue" differs from my own, as does the Tesla-owner tolerance for number and frequency of issues.

If you have had no significant issues since taking delivery of your Bolt, post how many miles you've logged and when you got it. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
We should probably mention the vehicle build date of out Bolt as indicated on the sticker found on the B pillar between the driver and passenger door as many early issues may have been corrected on later build date Bolts.

Build date 3/2017
Took delivery 4/8/17
Total miles: 476
No significant issues so far.

Note: only one minor issue with the infotainment system (radio preset button #1 not working).

·
Registered
110 Posts
hope this post does not jinx it.

Build date 11/16/16
Took delivery 1/10/17
Total miles: 3490
Only one minor issue with the infotainment system: went black, did the reset thing.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My car was built 11/16/2016
No big problems but a few minor.
Drivers side back door had broken clip so I could not open door. ( sorry this may have started the GM don't let out of state people buy the bolt.)
Drivers side rear view mirror corroded
Update to 14.1 on infotainment
Not a big deal.
10254 miles and loving every drive.
Wife has never heard me say I love something as much as his car.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Not much of a data point, but what the hey-

Build- 11/16
Bought- 3/31/17
Miles- Just shy of 1000
Problems- Zero
Enjoyment- 100%

·
Registered
368 Posts
1. Heater control unit failed, car needed a tow, in the shop for 2 weeks.
2. Misc infotainment bugs, updated software (1 day)
3. Seat height adjuster broke, 2 days' service

3+ months, 5k+ miles. Not good, but better than a typical new Tesla from what I hear...

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Been problem free except for that one time a parking garage pole jumped out and smashed into the rear of my Bolt while the wifey was driving.
....... :rolleyes:

Took 2 weeks to get the parts in and get repaired. Though now I have the false blindspot condition (due to the bodyshop not putting some tape on when they replaced the rear bumper). I'll have to eventually take it in to get that fixed.

·
Registered
51 Posts
"Drivers side rear view mirror corroded"

? more details please, how did you
notice this?
Both of my side view mirrors have some missing reflective coating at the base of the mirrors. My dealer ordered replacement mirrors. Definitely a bad batch of mirrors but I am surprised it made it through a QC check and lol my test drive.

·
Registered
639 Posts
1. Heater control unit failed, car needed a tow, in the shop for 2 weeks.
2. Misc infotainment bugs, updated software (1 day)
3. Seat height adjuster broke, 2 days' service

3+ months, 5k+ miles. Not good, but better than a typical new Tesla from what I hear...
Even better than what some new car owners experience, even worse is their dealer experience. I hope dealer experience was at worse mediocre. I hear some dealers are really turning around in customer service.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Alright, we've got a few positive responses in this thread to set the mood, now I don't feel so bad chiming in.

Build date Jan '17, 3000 kms on the clock.

Issues to date:
- Squeaks and creaks in driver's seatback (starting in the passenger side) and center console armrest
- Twice I've set out in the morning and the rear wiper wouldn't respond, had to turn car off and back on. I'm sure revised software will correct that at some point
- Four times I've put it in park with the car stopped and foot on the brake, and received a loud grinding sound like missing a shift in a manual car. Might be an issue with me putting it in Park before engaging the parking brake as some have pointed out so I'm trying the reverse sequence for a while to see if the issue persists
- There seems to be a bit of slop in the gear train (to be expected) so I often don't get a smooth transition from decel to accel at low speeds. Probably motor speed control tuning would clear that up too. I can't recall if this developed over time or was there from the start and didn't notice right away.
- Issues with the padding behind the faux leather steering wheel wrap (this is an off-the-shelf part, not unique to the Bolt)

I have an appt to take the car in for service next week, so we'll see what they come up with for those items. With all that being said, I'm genuinely unhappy about the prospect of driving an ICE car while my Bolt is in for service, I will miss this one while it's gone. I really like this car and if they hadn't fit it with creaky child-sized front seats really would love it! I'm kinda hoping they send me home with a Cruze so i can measure up its front seats to see if by some miracle they'll bolt into the Bolt (pun not intended)

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
272 Posts
Interesting about the parking brake issue. Tesla just announced a big recall due to a 3rd party parking brake part. Makes you wonder if it's related.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-04-20/tesla-recalls-53-000-vehicles-to-replace-faulty-parking-brakes

My issue was with engaging "Park", not with the parking brake. Parking brake works fine, but it is clumsy and it would be nice if I had a good old fashioned stick to pull; faster and less likely to fail.

·
Registered
179 Posts
"Drivers side rear view mirror corroded"

? more details please, how did you notice this?
I posted in another thread but here....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Both of my side view mirrors have some missing reflective coating at the base of the mirrors. My dealer ordered replacement mirrors. Definitely a bad batch of mirrors but I am surprised it made it through a QC check and lol my test drive.
If your car is an early build and it likely is, I suspect there was quite a bit of pressure to get Bolts in dealers by the end of 2016. They had a goal and they met it, but it does likely mean some warranty claims will be made I suspect. They also way over estimated demand here in California for the Bolt (I don't blame them, I would too) so in hind sight, they forced more cars to California lots faster than they needed to. Oh well, cut off California and ship more to Korea and Canada, they seem to know a good thing when they see it! :laugh:

1 - 20 of 131 Posts