Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the high resolution image from the rear-view mirror. However, the view I get from the backup camera seems out of focus. Is this a trade-off for getting the bird's eye view from the multiple cameras, or is there something wrong with my reversing camera? How does yours look?

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I love the high resolution image from the rear-view mirror. However, the view I get from the backup camera seems out of focus. Is this a trade-off for getting the bird's eye view from the multiple cameras, or is there something wrong with my reversing camera? How does yours look?
The rear view camera (regular one) resolution is fairly bleh. Maybe I got spoiled by the rear view mirror HD video, but I swear the regular backup cam picture quality is worse than my 2012 Volt! Would have been nice if they used a hi-res camera for the regular backup cam. Birdseye view cam equally "bleh". Good enough, I guess.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The rear view camera (regular one) resolution is fairly bleh. Maybe I got spoiled by the rear view mirror HD video, but I swear the regular backup cam picture quality is worse than my 2012 Volt! Would have been nice if they used a hi-res camera for the regular backup cam. Birdseye view cam equally "bleh". Good enough, I guess.
OK, not just me. I actually looked at the camera assuming that something was left covering the lens. As you said, "good enough", but nothing stellar. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
OK, not just me. I actually looked at the camera assuming that something was left covering the lens. As you said, "good enough", but nothing stellar. :(
Amidst all the rain in So Cal this winter, there was a thin oily film & dust on my backup camera. A quick once over with my thumb, then an eyeglass cloth seemed to improve picture quality markedly.

·
Registered
734 Posts
As much as I hate to recommend people here start spending money on something they shouldn't, buying an aftermarket system will help. Unless we all complain and make enough noise for the Chevy Suits to take action.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The back up cameras are very cheap. Volts back up camera is just as bad. My 2008 Prius is way , way better. I'd like to find a replacement for the bolt and the Volt back up camera. If anyone knows a good one let me know. The rear view mirror is excellent.

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
The backup camera is there to make sure you don't back over an animal, object, or a child. It doesn't have to be high-resolution to achieve that goal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mine is quite sharp and clear.

Are you dealing with a dirty lens? Try pushing the windshield wiper backwards when the car is reversed. It shoots a stream of cleaning fluid over the lens and makes everything nice and sharp again!

I did this yesterday after a long drive in the rain and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine is quite sharp and clear.
Really? The backup picture is clear? My rear-view mirror image is great, just wish the reversing camera was the same.

Are you dealing with a dirty lens? Try pushing the windshield wiper backwards when the car is reversed. It shoots a stream of cleaning fluid over the lens and makes everything nice and sharp again!

I did this yesterday after a long drive in the rain and it worked perfectly.
I don't think that's it - I washed the lens off before I knew about the auto-washing. Didn't make any difference. I was initially convinced that something covering the back-up camera hadn't been removed during prep.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, just purchased a new Bolt, Premier, 2018. Getting familiar with the controls and novel features. I did notice the same thing about the back up image resolution in the main info display. It seems out of focus to me. I cleaned the lens with a cloth, which improved it a little. Someone else in this thread pointed out that it doesn't need to be HD resolution to perform its function which is to see if you have anything in your path as you reverse. Which it does perfectly. Nit picking really, but I did notice.

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
Hello, just purchased a new Bolt, Premier, 2018. Getting familiar with the controls and novel features. I did notice the same thing about the back up image resolution in the main info display. It seems out of focus to me. I cleaned the lens with a cloth, which improved it a little. Someone else in this thread pointed out that it doesn't need to be HD resolution to perform its function which is to see if you have anything in your path as you reverse. Which it does perfectly. Nit picking really, but I did notice.
Yep, just a cheap camera. I wonder if it would be possible to upgrade the camera in the aftermarket? I'm sure the display can handle HD.

·
Registered
142 Posts
My image is slightly better than the image in my Outback which is pretty good. Either of the images are as good as any of the other vehicles I've driven, but maybe I've never driven a vehicle with a really good rear view camera?

·
Registered
280 Posts
"Is your reverse camera image clear?"

No.
Ha ha, I’ve been in that scene too. I find it depends greatly on the ambient lighting. Backing out of the barn very early in the morning, or under the color mangling of some street lamps, the image can be quite grainy.
Under “sharp” light, (meaning the angle of the light, not its intensity), the image is as good as any backup camera I’ve seen, including those on some expensive Benz.
I think the rear view mirror cam has to be HD, because of the small area it gets projected onto. Otherwise it would be like the early cell phones, remember how crappy those images were on the tiny screens?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have read they iimproved the aactual camera significantly for 2019 models. Any truth to that?
I’ve got a 2019 and the camera is no better. Very low quality and disappointing. For a car with this much tech they could have paid more attention to this and maybe spent an extra $20 to put in a decent camera.

I don’t consider this nitpicking. It’s attention to detail and staying competitive with the market.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts