Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
What would you suggest they use? Even hydrogen comes from methane reforming. Their plan for their BFR will use methane directly. That will be relatively greener.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
He wants to champion green cars with his Tesla brand, but doesn't Space X use fossil fuels as propellants? ;)
Yes and they use fossil fuels to make their cars and solar panels. There is a point at which "green" becomes ridiculous.

There is a guy (sorry I'm lazy this morning, but you can easily find his work with Google) who figured out how many Tesla Model S would be negated by one Falcon X launch with regards to fossil fuels saved vs. burned and his calculations showed 10 Model S per launch. The Falcon Heavy is basically 3 Falcon X strapped together, so for that launch it was 30. As long as they keep building and selling lots of cars, it's still a net win even with the rocket launches.

·
Registered
499 Posts
BoltinAround said:
He wants to champion green cars with his Tesla brand, but doesn't Space X use fossil fuels as propellants? ;)
Not ironic at all. He's a 'results' guy, and that's what it takes to get results.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
Marry Barra wishes she had a 500,000 order backlog for the Bolt. Those who think big have big problems. The rest of us just ridicule from the sidelines.
But then we would be complaining how GM can't make enough Bolts because they don't have the battery manufacturing capacity. The Giga factory has its issues but its intent is to meet the future and the demand.

I would have gladly put a deposit down for a Bolt when it was first announced. But, alas, the dealer model doesn't accommodate it.

·
Registered
676 Posts
What gets me is Tesla is shipping roadsters to Mars and I can't even get a Model 3 in South Carolina! sheesh.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reactions: Br4hm4

·
Registered
928 Posts
Trollin but then add the winky to make it alright.. nice.

I think his 'results' means changing the marketplace. He's said as much. Without a Tesla corp would EV's have 100% of the acceptance level that they have today? Without spaceX would non-gov space launches have as much legitimacy?

I don't own stock so I don't worry about or care about their profits or earnings...

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
It doesn't have to; hydrogen can be made from water by electrolyzing it.
You bet. And probably the best way to do that is with nuclear energy. Solar panels at one time barely made more energy in twenty years than the energy it took to make them. Haven't looked into that in awhile to see if that has improved. Maybe the thin films? Problem there's no industrial scale hydrogen made by electrolysis that I know of and is very energy intensive (there's some interesting catalyst work going on to improve this). One issue is the process doesn't produce pure hydrogen and removing other species is problematic.

Running a reverse fuel cell might be an option, but I haven't heard about anyone working on it. Probably could google to see if that's a possibility.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
Musk is about boosting the rate at which humans become more resilient. To that end, it means preserving Earth resources (Tesla) and colonizing other planets (SpaceX). The sooner we solve a problem, the sooner we can move on to the next.

Yeah, but why do that when it's much cheaper and faster to derive it from hydrocarbons?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Solar panels at one time barely made more energy in twenty years than the energy it took to make them. Haven't looked into that in awhile to see if that has improved.
Let's get you up to date:
How many years of operation does it take for a solar panel to generate as much energy as was used in its manufacture? (AKA: Energy Debt) The National Renewable Energy Laboratory and The Journal of Environmental Science & Technology found that depending on the technology used, it takes between one and four years for solar panels to earn out on their energy debt. Consider that most panels are projected to last between 20 and 25 years with proper maintenance and normal use, and you can see that there's a net energy gain here that's rather significant.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Yes but hydrogen made this way is the most expensive way to make hydrogen. It takes more energy in than the hydrogen energy density produced. It takes a 100% efficeint electrolyser 39.4 kwh to produce 1kg of hydrogen gas from water which contains 33 kwh of energy density. Notwithstanding the energy needed to compress the hydrogen.

And if the energy to produce electrolysed hydrogen come from trump's clean coal power plants well ... that makes America great again by providing more work for the coal miners!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts