Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
161 - 180 of 741 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
371 Posts
Has anyone ever seen a 2020+ Bolt without DCFC?
yeap, I am driving one. 2020 LT it was new bought in jan 2021. ( paid $20K for it + tax - after rebates discounts)
My commute is 25 miles one way. plus other chores, that is it. The bolt is not our long trip vehicle.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
wow ...just wow.... If I am reading this correctly ...

The Fix is essentially ...Charge Limited to 80% ! and someday MAYBE we will allow 100%

wow just wow... talk about deflation
I'll tell you what this sounds like to me. It sounds like a last ditch effort to find a way for GM to renege on the promise of replacing all battery packs! The software won't be ready for 60 days which I'm guessing means there will be NO battery pack replacements for at least 60 days... likely 60 days plus whatever time period is needed to see how good that software is at detecting defects.

I think the bottom line is that they are hoping this new software and 80% charge limitation will allow GM to go some period of time with no fires and see if the new software can truly detect bad cells while doing so. If so, there will likely be a new announcement that GM has "found a way to detect defective modules" and that "full pack replacements are no longer necessary". Then they just replace the packs/modules on vehicles that trip the software integrity check: likely only a small percentage of packs.

Mike

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
... even Tesla owners are jealous that we will be getting more capacity, new warranty. Now let's hope they can get us in without too much delay!
Pretty sure all EV owners are just hoping the third (or is it 4th) time is the charm and LG has actually fixed the problem this time and they can roll out a fix before this whole debacle does any more damage to the EV landscape as a whole!

Mike

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
371 Posts
I'll tell you what this sounds like to me. It sounds like a last ditch effort to find a way for GM to renege on the promise of replacing all battery packs! The software won't be ready for 60 days which I'm guessing means there will be NO battery pack replacements for at least 60 days... likely 60 days plus whatever time period is needed to see how good that software is at detecting defects.

I think the bottom line is that they are hoping this new software and 80% charge limitation will allow GM to go some period of time with no fires and see if the new software can truly detect bad cells while doing so. If so, there will likely be a new announcement that GM has "found a way to detect defective modules" and that "full pack replacements are no longer necessary". Then they just replace the packs/modules on vehicles that trip the software integrity check: likely only a small percentage of packs.

Mike
where does the 80% comes from, other than Car and driver?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Full battery replacement for the period with high failure rate... doesn't sound like ALL 2017-2019 will get new battery (the promised 66 KWh upgrade for all). Thoughts?
They are starting with the cars built in that period, but will provide a new battery to all cars eventually. I'm probably low on the list, but I fully expect a new 65kWh battery.

GM will continue to prioritize Chevy Bolt EV and EUV customers whose batteries were manufactured during specific build timeframes where GM believes battery defects appear to be clustered.
Chevrolet Bolt EV Battery Production Resumes

·
Registered
31 Posts
What does this mean about the stop sale? Will it be lifted once the new batteries are shipped to dealers? I have a EUV waiting for me on the lot

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
1,335 Posts
What does this mean about the stop sale? Will it be lifted once the new batteries are shipped to dealers? I have a EUV waiting for me on the lot
They will be replacing the packs in chronological order. 2017's first to get this service.
Sounds like your EUV will be sitting on the lot lots of time. Probably one of the last to get the upgraded pack.

(I don't know where I came up with this.....)

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Agree... Just another lets throw this Software "fix" at it and see if this works.
They aren't "just throwing" another fix at it. Until there are enough batteries available to fix most of these cars, GM has to do SOMETHING to try and keep the number of fires to a minimum. It sounds to me like this software is the best they can offer. I doubt it will prevent 100% of fires, but if it cuts the number in half, that could still be several people who don't have to deal wit their vehicle catching fire. It isn;t the endgame, but it is an improvement.

Their new next new amazing software will be on probation for a while since they can't monitor individual cells. But here we are, resetting to wait another few years before the fires potentially begin again.
Why is this a reset? GM is currently billing tis as an interim solution while battery production catches up.

This is certainly good, and welcome news. It seems that most of us will be receiving a new “state of the art software fix” long before new batterIes. That didn’t work super well the last time. Suffice to say the pressure is on GM here to avoid additional fires between the software patch and the eventual battery replacement, which presumably will take months, or years to complete.
You make a good point. This is still going to take a long time. I am viewing this software update like i view a Covid vaccine...I just want to know the efficacy of it. ;)

This is great news. But why aren’t we getting an official message directly from gm on this? They have my email. I'm sure there’s some marketing/pr reason, but im a bit annoyed all recall messaging is delivered to the media before customers. I could be naive, but seems like they’d want to notify us ASAP of any updates.
They aren't going to send a mass e-mail out every time here is an update. Although you CAN sign up for updates through the Chevy.com/boltevrecall website by putting your VIN in and requesting updates. In the meantime, they are going to update that website any time there is anything of significance to report. You won't get formal communications until you are either eligible for the software update or your battery is ready.

The Fix is essentially ...Charge Limited to 80% ! and someday MAYBE we will allow 100%

So GM says "we have a process we can follow to gradually test your battery. Either we will find a problem and fix it, or eventually you will have full use of your battery back" and you say "Nope...not good enough. Taking the time necessary to make my vehicle less fire prone while waiting for battery production to catch up is not good enough". I'm not saying it is perfect, but it is a whole lot better than them saying you just have to wait for anew parts and hope in the meantime.

Mike
They never promised to replace ALL battery packs. At least not in the vehicles with US made batteries. But they still might end up doing that. We have to wait and see.

There has been bad news followed by no news followed by bad news. We got a little good news in the past 24 hours. There is a long way to go, but at least we can see GM has a plan.

·
Registered
"early" 2019 LT Slate Grey Metallic
134 Posts
Personally, if GM could guarantee that my current Korean 60kWh pack is good and let me return to normal use, I would take that over having the pack opened up, modules swapped out for 66kWh ones and put back together, hoping it was all done correctly.

If they can't guarantee that my current pack doesn't have any of those torn anodes and/or folded separators then sure, I'll take my chances with the new modules for an 8-10% capacity increase, why not.

·
Administrator
2,846 Posts

Not sure where C&D gets the 80% figure, here is what GM says:
New advanced diagnostic software
Within approximately 60 days, GM will begin launching a new advanced diagnostic software package that will increase the available battery charging parameters over existing guidance.

The diagnostic software will be designed to detect specific abnormalities that might indicate a damaged battery in Bolt EVs and EUVs by monitoring the battery performance; alerting customers of any anomalies; and prioritizing damaged battery modules for replacement. It is GM’s intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100 percent state of charge once all diagnostic processes are complete.

This new software, which will be provided to all Bolt EV and EUV owners, requires dealer installation. Owners will be able to start to schedule installation at their Chevy EV dealer in approximately 60 days.
We know how the press works, one journalist comes up with a quote from an unreliable source, publishes it without verification (to get the scoop), and everyone else quotes the first as corroborating evidence. I see nothing in GM's statement that suggests multiple SW updates installed by dealers, nor 80%. While it is entirely possible 80% cap may initially be applied, will that be for one charging cycle? Or months? Neither source can help understand that piece.

"It is GM's intent that further diagnostic software will allow customers to return to a 100 percent state of charge" is probably being read as multiple SW updates. But isn't it possible one update with dynamic capabilities to analyze, limit for a period to be extra cautious until it deems conditions right to resume 100% charging? Maybe these further diagnostic software components are built into the upcoming package and will be triggered by results of diagnostics?

At this point, without more information from reliable sources, I consider C&D's piece to be an unreliable source of information. Maybe GM will explain a bit more in coming days.

We have seen the destructive power of misinformation, or limited information play out on this forum over the last 2-3 months. Lots of speculation is either wrong, motivated by fear, or simply blown out of proportion. Not faulting anyone, it is human nature to expect the worst in the absence of credible information. In this thread alone, we have gone from hopelessness to hope, and now back to hopelessness, not based on anything GM said, but what others are saying. Rumors and innuendos...

GM continues to say replacement modules, increase in capacity (pre-2020) and new warranties are coming. People are reading the diagnostic patch as a way for GM to wiggle out of this commitment. But are they? Or is that speculation based on assuming the worst?

You know this is big enough news that there will be follow up conversations in the news. My feeling is it is wise to wait and see when new information is made available before jumping to conclusions.

The good news is, there is a rough timeline for the production of cells with adequate QA processes to reassure owners of safe cars. We still see priority being given to the most vulnerable, and if deep cycling is a key metric derived from the new diagnostic patch, priority will presumably be given to any model year with charging profiles suggesting higher vulnerability. That seems fair, and probably puts you @OneEV in a favorable position in the queue given your frequent deep cycles.

·
Registered
607 Posts
And this is where the Bolt is so last century. OTA update would cost GM only the cost of creation whereas paying for 140,000 dealer visits to update the software.
And this is an example of why the big three will have trouble surviving. They are saddled with the dealership model and so are the customers.

It is ludicrous that you have to waste time at a dealership to get a software update. And often, they even make the customer pay for it as if the dealer is replacing a worn part.

It's not a worn part. It's buggy software that needs to be fixed by the manufacturer for free.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I think it's pretty simple to figure out my future.
By mid November I will go to the Chevy dealer to get a software update that removes the recommendation to limit charge to 90%.
Eventually, I get all new modules and a 8/100 warranty on same.
That is all. All the other chatter is human nature showing itself.

·
Registered
2017 Chevrolet Bolt LT
22 Posts
Totally agree with that pecking order, but on #1 they might be supply constrained to even build anything (outside of the battery issue I mean). They have large swaths of their manufacturing capacity offline beyond the Bolt now.

Unspoken priority:
1) production vehicles
2) dealer vehicles
3) owner vehicles

·
Registered
233 Posts
Unspoken priority:
1) production vehicles
2) dealer vehicles
3) owner vehicles
I don’t think they can pull that off IF fires continue. Maybe for folks who ordered a car already and it’s delivery was halted. IANAL, but I think that situation is pretty risky for GM to be fixing unused vehicles when current owners are still dealing with issues.

I am not saying ALL bolts in the wild need to be fixed first, but they sure as heck can’t put as at #3 on that list without risking some pretty negative outcomes.

·
Administrator
2,846 Posts
Unspoken priority:
1) production vehicles
2) dealer vehicles
3) owner vehicles
Up to this point, priority has meant cells made in Korea between Oct - Dec 2018 (first half of 2019 model year), and Bolts with history of deep cycle charging. Nothing about who owns the cars.

I don't get what you mean by "production vehicles", do you mean assembly line and pre-sale inventory?

Sure, they will want to clear out inventory and free dealers from holding cars in inventory. But the fire risk, and potential damage to their brand image is in the hands of owners. I suspect more weight will be given to owners initially, to get the most vulnerable cars fixed first. The priority may shift to inventory and dealers but that would seem to be a relatively short period. Then the rest of the fleet would get cared for.

That seems fair to me, I mean if the diagnostic patch they have in the works can reasonably assure me it is safe to use my Bolt as I have for the last 3.5 years, I see no need to rush.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Unspoken priority:
1) production vehicles
2) dealer vehicles
3) owner vehicles
Nonsense. Their legal department would never allow them to do that. They've already publicly stated that they will be rolling out the battery packs. If it turns out that they've been putting them into lot and production vehicles first and there are more bolt fires not only would there be lawsuits from the consumer side of things but Uncle Sam would take them to the cleaners as well. That's on top of the PR disaster they'd have to deal with as a result as well.

Given how much this debacle is already costing GM the last thing they're going to want to do is make it cost even more

161 - 180 of 741 Posts