Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chevy Bolt Forum,

Recently I forgot to turn off my hazard lights on my 2017 Chevy Bolt.

The next day my 12v AGM battery was dead.

I jumpstarted the car with my NOCO GB20 Boost (Lithium)

After jump-starting the card the "service soon" light (car symbol)
with hazard or bang symbol appeared.

I also received a notification from Onstar:

"The electric propulsion system is not performing as expected. Please service immediately".

The indicator displayed for 2 days and cleared on today.

I contacted Onstar between yesterday and today to run a diagnostics but everything checked out
okay (green) with no codes.

I have scheduled an appointment this week with Chevy.

I have heard from the forum that without a diag code there is not much Chevy can do.

Should I keep the appointment or cancel? Is the issue I experienced something to be concerned about?

1) I want to avoid getting charged for a diagnostic test if one is not feasible.
2) If this is an electrical issue would this be covered under my warranty?

Thank you

·
Registered
476 Posts
Cancel it. You may need to replace the 12V battery someday, but no codes means nothing to find. Don’t waste your time.

The warning was likely caused by the dead battery. It self-cleared after a few ignition cycles. As long as you maintain the 12V you’ll probably be fine. Put the 12V on a charger and make sure it’s fully charged.

If you have no warnings in a few more days, it’s fine.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt Premier
22 Posts
(1).If you have any warning codes that come on and then correct themselves they should hold in the history so the dealership should be able to see what has happened. With the codes you received it would indicate a low voltage in the 12v system they should then do a load test on the 12v battery I doubt a 1 time drain will damage it. So all this time would be a charger to the customer unless..
(2). If you are still under the 3/36 coverage 3 year 36k miles then it should be covered if your dealer is a good one. If you decide to cancel you can go to an Auto Zone they can do a scan for free but this is not a deep scan like a dealership can do.
So with this all being said ask the service people at the dealership if there is a charge for the scan or if the warranty will cover it before you drop it off.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
The warning was likely caused by the dead battery.
Almost certainly. The car is festooned with sensors and as the battery dies and the voltage drops some of those sensors start to throw off marginal readings that the car's software interprets as issues. Once the 12V system is back up to snuff everything will probably be just fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts