Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
The only good thing about the Bolt is the powertrain. It seems that Chevy took advantage of the fact that there's no other EV's that have a 60 kWh battery in that price range. I get it, most of the money was dumped into the powertrain while they went cheap on everything else so the price can be set below $38K. After driving the Bolt 8,000 miles, there are nine things that still bother me.

1. The seats - They suck. The Volt has comfortable seats but somehow Chevy missed that concept on the Bolt. In addition, my seat creaks and when I lean back, a gap can be felt between the cushion part of the seat and the seatback. For me they're not comfortable and I had to purchase a seat cushion. Padding will be added when time permits. Overall the seats just feel like a big piece of crap.

2. HVAC - Maybe a heat pump would cost too much but it would have been nice to be an option. Also, the recirculation function doesn't appear to work at all. I don't notice a difference between recirculation and non-recirculation.

3. The center stack - Not being able to see the temperature when using CarPlay bothers me. The screens are slow to respond. Moving between pages is cumbersome. It would be nice to have a "back" button. For example, if you're using maps on CarPlay and check your energy stats, it would be great if you could press one button to go back to maps. There's very little clarity on the screen that shows your average energy for the last 50 miles.

4. The DIC - It's growing on me but the Volt has a much nicer DIC.

5. My chevy app - It sucks. There's times where its not accurate and mine hasn't worked in two weeks with either the Android or Apple apps. Not sure who is to blame for this problem but Chevy's name is on it.

6. The doors - They're crap. After a few years they're probably going to rattle. Also, it seems like air comes up through the window gasket when driving faster.

7. No ACC - I guess it costs too much?

8. Charging - Not being able set a charge limit (other than hilltop) seems shortsighted and a rather easy thing to implement.

9. Suspension - Something doesn't feel normal with it. Can't put my finger on it.

Curious what other people (honestly) think about the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Most of us seem to like it and cut it some slack because as you mention most of the $$$ went in to the battery/drivetrain not a plush Lexus level interior.

The seats are a known issue (for some folks).

Personally, I don't have any major complaints with my Bolt, I've had it since last April and have 12K mi on it.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Sounds like an awful lot of nitpicks shouted into a megaphone. The seats are a known issue, and supposedly a fix is in the works...or at least on the books to get fixed.

HVAC is an issue because....it uses too much energy in your opinion? The HVAC in my Bolt is way better than my Volt.
Apple Carplay stuff is really an Apple issue, not a GM issue.
The door issue isn't really an issue, and you are just projecting it will "probably" be an issue?
There have been noted issues with Remotelink/Mychevy. Personally, I don't have any issues.

I've edited the title of your post to better reflect its contents.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just couldn't agree less. Sure there are things that could be better but that's true of just about anything, cars included.

My wife and I find the seats comfortable.

Absolutely don't care about charging limits and it's not clear to me why anyone would. Maybe you have variable electric rates? This car has overcharge and undercharge protection built into it. If you are trying to finesse battery life, you are wasting your time. It has a much more sophisticated battery/charging system than the Volt.

No problem with the suspension. It's a bit hard but it feels fine to me. No rattles and no surprises.

A heat pump would be nice -- but my experience with home heat pumps tempers my enthusiasm. When it's really cold, they don't work that well (you have to heat the coil) and the air is never really warm feeling.

Temp on CarPlay would by nice. It's a software issue and has nothing to do with the car in general. I will admit the the wireless phone charger is a complete fail.

The doors seem extremely tight to me. They are light, but that does't mean weak or flimsy. Lightness means much less wear and tear on the hinges and supports. Only time will tell of course.

OTA software update would be nice. Maybe coming soon if you believe some rumors on this board. Also an autopilot like facility would be great. Keep in might that is a few thousand dollar option on Telsa.

Sorry you don't like the car. I'm kind of surprised you bought it with so many obvious thing you don't like.

Ron

·
Registered
770 Posts
The only good thing about the Bolt is the powertrain.

The Bolt isn't for everyone. It's an early development platform that many here think is a Beta version.

There is no reason you should have to pay for, and be encumbered with with what you feel strongly as a "Crappy Car".

I can only imagine your angst every time you have to get in your Bolt, sit in those seats, and put up with all
of these disappointments you paid, or are paying your hard earned money for. I wouldn't wish that anguish on anyone, and you are entitled to be satisfied with a vehicle that isn't Crappy.

I would like to help relieve you of your painful misfortune. I just happen to be in the market for a well cared for, pre-owned Bolt. Considering your situation, I'm confident we can come to some mutual agreement that will remove this albatross from around your neck and allow you the freedom to find the car that's right for you. The one that is perfect for what you need and desire.

Just PM me.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My two cents:

1. Seats - For me a non-issue. I will agree they are different. I took notice on the test drive.
2. HVAC - For me no issues. I set it like I always have, nice and toasty. I have not had the opppurtunity to try the A/C yet.
3. Center Stack - Good for me. There are things I like, things I would like, as with most things I have.
4. DIC - I have not experienced the VOLT DIC.
5. My Chevy App - Agreed. I do not use it or any keypass functions. Not reliable enough. But I do not need it. I am not losing sleep over it.
6. Doors - I do not have any issues with the doors.
7. ACC - Not sure what is desired. I can turn the car on, turn off the HVAC, and have all functions using very little power.
8. Charging - Agreed. I would like to set the percentage charge limit.
9. Suspension - For me, better than I expected.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sounds like an awful lot of nitpicks shouted into a megaphone. The seats are a known issue, and supposedly a fix is in the works...or at least on the books to get fixed.

HVAC is an issue because....it uses too much energy in your opinion? The HVAC in my Bolt is way better than my Volt.
Apple Carplay stuff is really an Apple issue, not a GM issue.
The door issue isn't really an issue, and you are just projecting it will "probably" be an issue?
There have been noted issues with Remotelink/Mychevy. Personally, I don't have any issues.

I've edited the title of your post to better reflect its contents.
Thank you for correcting the title. I guess opinions aren't allowed here.

1. HVAC - I mentioned the use of a heat pump and recirculation. In your opinion, the Bolt HVAC is better than the Volt HVAC so it completely dismisses my comment? Interesting. I believe the Volt HVAC is better than the Bolt HVAC.

2. CarPlay - CarPlay wasn't the complaint, it was the center stack. CarPlay was only part of the complaint. To be fair, the temperature display on CarPlay was more of a request but again that's GM. They can put the temperature right above the time or notch out a box. The other issues are strictly GM.

3. The door issue is an issue - In fairness the "probably" part may or may not happen, but the air coming up from either the window gasket or gaps in the door is a problem.

4. My chevy/Remote link - Because you don't have any issues doesn't mean anyone else doesn't. Just search this forum. You'll find plenty of complaints.

I apologize for saying negative things about the Bolt like "The Bolt is a crappy car." It won't happen again.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The door issue is an issue - In fairness the "probably" part may or may not happen, but the air coming up from either the window gasket or gaps in the door is a problem.
Maybe you have an actual physical defect which a dealer could possibly correct?

If everyone had the door problem like you mentioned... we'd know about it, and this is the first time I've read anything about air leakage in/around the Bolt's doors.

·
Registered
366 Posts
The bolt is a mass production item built to a price point. Not every thing on the car is a perfect match to my personal tastes, but I had test driven 3 of them so I knew what I was paying for. Overall, I'm ecstatic about my purchase.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thank you for correcting the title. I guess opinions aren't allowed here.

1. HVAC - I mentioned the use of a heat pump and recirculation. In your opinion, the Bolt HVAC is better than the Volt HVAC so it completely dismisses my comment? Interesting. I believe the Volt HVAC is better than the Bolt HVAC.

2. CarPlay - CarPlay wasn't the complaint, it was the center stack. CarPlay was only part of the complaint. To be fair, the temperature display on CarPlay was more of a request but again that's GM. They can put the temperature right above the time or notch out a box. The other issues are strictly GM.

3. The door issue is an issue - In fairness the "probably" part may or may not happen, but the air coming up from either the window gasket or gaps in the door is a problem.

4. My chevy/Remote link - Because you don't have any issues doesn't mean anyone else doesn't. Just search this forum. You'll find plenty of complaints.

I apologize for saying negative things about the Bolt like "The Bolt is a crappy car." It won't happen again.
I am failing to understand something? Do you own one? Did you test drive one? If you own one did you test drive one before? I am going to assume you own one as almost every one that does not usually uses "deal breaker" in their post.

So why if you are that particular, did you not test drive one for a bit before completing the purchase? You knew beforehand it had no heat pump, so why ***** about it in a negative manner as if its a "deal breaker"

If you even sat in one before you bought it then you would have already met the center stack and made up your mind. So why ***** about it again in a negative manner here where it does not matter. If you want GM to get your feedback on what they could improve this is not the way to do it. If you are looking for like people to commiserate with, I guess this may not be the place either.

I told my dealer, "I dont buy any car sight unseen without a test drive" I got my test drive, I waited for my bolt, I bought my bolt for good and for bad. I enjoy my bolt. Do I have issues with certain things? Absolutely. What am I doing about them? Talking to GM and making sure they get my feedback so they can fix it, maybe not in this car, but future cars.

:) <----------------- My Bolt Smile

·
Registered
70 Posts
Indeed if I had been able to afford a Tesla S last September, that would have been great. That not being the case, a Bolt Premier seemed like an excellent compromise and has turned out to be so. I'm 6' 3'' and have never had such room for my legs in 60 years of driving. The seats have never been a problem. The single pedal system is remarkable along with all the safety features. I see nothing wrong with the DIC etc. etc. GM has come up with a wonderful EV that is even better than I had supposed.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Overall the Bolt is, so far, the best car we have ever owned for daily use. On your list, the only thing that bothered me initially was the app, which we don't use normally - just to show friends "it has an app" - that and I like to play with the Trip planner range bubble thing. We'll be disabling the telematics module at any rate.

ACC would have been 'nice' but we don't use cruise on commutes, maybe we would have used adaptive, but there is often no one in front of us necessitating slowing down, so a nice feature that would probably sit dormant most of the time.

We've found a solution that works better for us for heat that is also more efficient than a heat pump, so while I initially thought that was a big miss, we just don't care so much now. This has also given me some opportunity to tinker and test, which I enjoy.

So we agree, three of the nine you listed we also thought negatively about briefly and then dismissed them as basically unimportant or minutia.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I told my dealer, "I dont buy any car sight unseen without a test drive" I got my test drive, I waited for my bolt, I bought my bolt for good and for bad. I enjoy my bolt. Do I have issues with certain things? Absolutely. What am I doing about them? Talking to GM and making sure they get my feedback so they can fix it, maybe not in this car, but future cars.

:) <----------------- My Bolt Smile
Yep, read up on the net about the various nit picks owners had over the course of 2017. Dealer wanted a "locked in" purchase sight unseen, I told sales guy to call if a car came in without buyer.

1. The seats - They suck. The Volt has comfortable seats but somehow Chevy missed that concept on the Bolt. In addition, my seat creaks and when I lean back, a gap can be felt between the cushion part of the seat and the seatback. For me they're not comfortable and I had to purchase a seat cushion. Padding will be added when time permits. Overall the seats just feel like a big piece of crap.

2. HVAC - Maybe a heat pump would cost too much but it would have been nice to be an option. Also, the recirculation function doesn't appear to work at all. I don't notice a difference between recirculation and non-recirculation.

3. The center stack - Not being able to see the temperature when using CarPlay bothers me. The screens are slow to respond. Moving between pages is cumbersome. It would be nice to have a "back" button. For example, if you're using maps on CarPlay and check your energy stats, it would be great if you could press one button to go back to maps. There's very little clarity on the screen that shows your average energy for the last 50 miles.

4. The DIC - It's growing on me but the Volt has a much nicer DIC.

5. My chevy app - It sucks. There's times where its not accurate and mine hasn't worked in two weeks with either the Android or Apple apps. Not sure who is to blame for this problem but Chevy's name is on it.

6. The doors - They're crap. After a few years they're probably going to rattle. Also, it seems like air comes up through the window gasket when driving faster.

7. No ACC - I guess it costs too much?

8. Charging - Not being able set a charge limit (other than hilltop) seems shortsighted and a rather easy thing to implement.

9. Suspension - Something doesn't feel normal with it. Can't put my finger on it.

- I have been ok with seats on shorter drives and place padding in the spot that grips me on longer sessions. At some point I will add padding underneath the seat springs, as detailed here somewhere, as well as a bit of padding in the seat back per Gaulfinger(?)

- HVAC is good/efficient. I find the AC blowing on auto when the OAT is freezing unnerving, but have gotten to turning off the AC/Heat button. Still threatening to take fuse out of AC slots, but so far haven't needed to. My recirc button works as advertised.

- I hardly use carplay but it certainly seems to be a v1.0 thing. Frankly, I'd rather have traditional Onstar nav (with map) or google maps but... I already have a **** good idea what the OAT is at any moment, so that point seems like a real stretch.

- I find resetting the app several times will eventually update the vehicle info as expected. Usually twice.

- As others have said, my doors are rock solid. I'd get that into the dealer for a look and case number.

- ^^ as suspension. Do you have a reputable tuner shop in town for an independent look at the suspension? Personally, I have to get used to the short wheelbase and relatively light weight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Indeed if I had been able to afford a Tesla S last September, that would have been great. That not being the case, a Bolt Premier seemed like an excellent compromise and has turned out to be so. I'm 6' 3'' and have never had such room for my legs in 60 years of driving. The seats have never been a problem. The single pedal system is remarkable along with all the safety features. I see nothing wrong with the DIC etc. etc. GM has come up with a wonderful EV that is even better than I had supposed.
I have a Tesla Model S but I prefer driving the Bolt and make my wife drive the Tesla. in particular, I like the framed doors much better than the frameless doors on the Tesla. They feel more solid, the glass doesn't rattle when opening and closing. The information in the DIC is more practical and accurate.Aa huge big difference is the Tire pressure reading, in the Bolt it is active all the time, in other cars you have to drive over a certain speed to get a reading. HVAC in Bolt is better than Tesla, the speed controlled volume is better in the Bolt.

The seats are OK for me, not as good as the Tesla, but for one third the price can't complain. The range of the Bolt beats the Tesla by a good 50 miles for my type of driving.

Could it be better? sure but for me it's great and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I drive a moderate amount with mother-in-law (94 YO) up front and 3 ladies in back. My only hvac complaint is no direct airflow to back seat passengers. They are still a little too cold or a little too hot. Everyone loves seat heat, but with 3 in back, the outer two only get their “bu” OR their “tt” heated, not both. The seats are fine (for me) and I have put in 370 miles of driving (>6 hours) in a one-break stretch w/o discomfort. My doors are tight and quiet. My myChevrolet app texts me when charging is completed and the range reported is just what the DIC says when I get to the car. I can precondition from my living room 10 minutes prior to departure. I am constantly learning neat new things (like the speedometer showing my speed when in reverse!) I love the high seats and great visibility. I love the “overhead” camera view when parking. I love how my iPod hidden in the console plays my tunes on demand. I love the warnings when I am approaching the car in front too quickly and when leaving the lane. I especially love the accuracy of the cruise control. I am happy to set it 10 mph below Interstate speeds and go for 275 miles before needing a recharge.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You're just going though the same phase we probably all went through. It starts with the honeymoon period, then the nitpicking period, then the compromise, then the looking forward to your next car purchase period.
There's a nitpicking thread somewhere, it'll take you days to go through it. It's entertaining for me to go back and read my own nitpicking thread now.
The car is not perfect and it's like a relationship. Either you look forward in getting into it every morning or it's time to justify an AWD Model 3, but I know I'm too cheap to do so.
For what I paid for the car (LT) including tax credit/exemption, Chevy negotiation, you can't beat the value. It's an amazing car, not perfect, but I'm certainly proud of driving it.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Does the Bolt heater work similarly to early Leafs where the electric heater heats a fluid, and then air is passed through a radiator (heater core)? I always wondered why they made it more complicated, and delayed the heat output as if the Leaf has an engine that needs to warm up. Seems better to just put a version of a $5 space heater in the car and get instant heat.

I've also wondered why every part on a car has to be custom engineered for that model. If you know how to make good seats, then why not just pick 3-4 shapes/sizes of the great ones and put them in every car? Got a great steering wheel design; just use it in all the models. They literally reinvent the wheel for each car for no reason.

I don't know how this is related to the OP except that I'm ranting. Feels good to vent frustration sometimes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts