Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine if this was widespread, there would be a thread on this, and I didn't find one, but I'll ask anyway.

I have a Nexus 6p, which was working all right with the Bolt for a while, and then Verizon pushed an update to 7.1.2, and the bluetooth integration for phone calls started failing hard. I could connect my phone, but 30 seconds into a call, the BT connection would drop, and audio would come out of the handset, rather than the Bolt infotainment system. Android Nougat and the 6p both have a reputation for poor BT performance and random problems, but I jumped through all the hoops for remedying it. Clearing caches, doing a factory reset, running in safe mode (no third party apps). None of it made any difference, so I got Huawei to RMA the device, and I sent it back a couple of days ago.

So I fire up my trusty HTC one M8 (running Marshmallow), and BT phone calls still has connection dropping issues. Now I'm wondering if it's the Bolt, and not my handset. Has anyone else had significant, consistent, BT connectivity issues?

Note that playing audio, I don't get dropouts. Using Android Auto (telling the nav systems to plot a course, etc.) doesn't seem to have issues.

I do treat my phones roughly, so it's possible both of them could have had damaged antennas from drops, but then I'd expect other BT functionality to be flaky as well.

P.S. because of a bootloader change, going back to the old version of Nougat (7.1) is something of a hassle. I'm not sure what OS version my RMA'd device will come with.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had the same problem as you.

My wife and I have both Nexus 6p. Her phone stays connected no problem. She has no issues. She is the primary driver so this is good. However with me, when I plug the phone in through usb or just a bluetooth conneciton, I get constant disconnects. I as well have tried factory resets and thought for a bit that my smartwatch bluetooth was interferring. It wasn't. I am at a loss why my wifes 6p is reliable, and mine isn't. Same version of Android. The only difference is that her phone is less customized as mine. Possibly modifying the devices name when pairing is throwing it off. I'm not sure.

In general the disconnects don't bother me except that it makes the audio from Spotify or other music services through Android Auto drop significantly in volume. When you skip to the next track everything jumps up to the higher volume. Super annoying and I basically can't use my phone with the car because I can't stand how every 20 seconds the audio volume fluctuates.

I'm still hunting, but if I get a breakthrough on this mystery, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are either of you running a custom kernel?
A fair question. No, I'm running a stock ROM, non-rooted. On a thread in the other forum, it was suggested that disabling the OnStart WiFi hotspot might ease the problem, but in the end it didn't seem to help for that poster. I'm going to try that out anyway, and see if it helps, while I wait for my 6P back.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Are either of you running a custom kernel?
A fair question. No, I'm running a stock ROM, non-rooted. On a thread in the other forum, it was suggested that disabling the OnStart WiFi hotspot might ease the problem, but in the end it didn't seem to help for that poster. I'm going to try that out anyway, and see if it helps, while I wait for my 6P back.
I disabled OnStar wifi. No luck there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The two items I have are:

#1 Bluetooth dropping out. It's basically useless now to make calls through because after a few seconds the call loses the car and you can hear the person through the phone.

This used to work, but seems to have gotten unusable over time. I was wondering if it was the Car / Phone / or Android.
Tried to delete and re-pair but still doesn't work.

#2 Keypass with Bluetooth on Bolt. I can't even get it to scan before it says that it is cancelled.

This has never worked, since day one.

Bolt EV (Pre February Infotainment software, yet I hear that V14 has the issue also)
Nexus 6P (Stock/Beta OTA, Currently on Stock Released Nougat)

The Wife and I both have Nexus 6P with same problems.

I hope Chevrolet is watching. I would love to at least hear that they are looking into it. There's a OTA update feature that I'm sure Chevrolet is dying to try out. d=-)

·
Registered
328 Posts
The 3 of you have a Nexus 6P, a quick google search show a lot of people having Bluetooth issues with the 6P on various vehicles. That seem to be be the issue here. (and people are pissed on Google's forum)

I have no BT issues at all with my Oneplus 3T. I had long BT phone calls (even conf call with screen sharing) and no issues.

As for KeyPass, setup seems to be broken, there is not a single person that reported it working.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The 3 of you have a Nexus 6P, a quick google search show a lot of people having Bluetooth issues with the 6P on various vehicles. That seem to be be the issue here. (and people are pissed on Google's forum)

I have no BT issues at all with my Oneplus 3T. I had long BT phone calls (even conf call with screen sharing) and no issues.

As for KeyPass, setup seems to be broken, there is not a single person that reported it working.
I have a Nexus 6P, and it worked fine with the Bolt for 3 months, Keypass and bluetooth calls included. Then I got the infotainment software update from v13 to v14 (or whatever). Since then, I've had Bluetooth drop out on almost every call, and also have Keypass errors displayed when I start the car. I blame the new Bolt infotainment software, rather than Android or the Nexus, but of course I can't prove it one way or the other. And my Chevrolet dealer knows even less than I do.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

True statements, and were noted in the original post. I was going with the assumption that the issue was all with the 6p/Nougat until I experienced the same behavior using my HTC One M8 and Marshmallow. This was why I started the thread

I shut off the OnStar hotspot yesterday, and things did behave more sensibly. Android Auto initial connection was inconsistent, but Bluetooth calls, once made, stayed up for the whole call. Understood that this is one datapoint, and it could be temporary.

·
Registered
328 Posts
True statements, and were noted in the original post. I was going with the assumption that the issue was all with the 6p/Nougat until I experienced the same behavior using my HTC One M8 and Marshmallow. This was why I started the thread
I shut off the OnStar hotspot yesterday, and things did behave more sensibly. Android Auto initial connection was inconsistent, but Bluetooth calls, once made, stayed up for the whole call. Understood that this is one datapoint, and it could be temporary.
Something I learned today. I had been using a nexus 6p, with associated BT connection drop problems. I sent it back to Huawei, and started using my HTC One M8 (which is on Marshmallow, and not Nougat). It was acting flaky on AA startup. The phone thought AA was running, but nothing came on the screen in the Bolt. After some horsing around, I eventually figured out that if there is already another BT device connected, the AA device will not bump that device, at least not on Marshmallow. My iPod touch was hogging the connection. Once I disconnected the touch, AA started working as expected.
All good then ?

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Does that mean you have to disconnect your device every time if you share the Bolt just so the other driver can connect?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All good then ?
Sadly, no. My 6p came back yesterday, which was oddly fast. Based on UPS tracking numbers, Huawei had it in their hands for only 36 hours. The S/N and IMEI were unchanged, and the software (7.1.2 + May security patches) was the same. It's ot clear they did anything at all.. I called up support, and they couldn't tell from their systems what was done (if anything). After the phone recharged, I did initial set-up again, and tested it. It appeared to work fine using both AA and stock BT. About 5 hours later, it started failing in exactly the same way (audio goes back to the handset after 30-60 seconds). I haz a sad.

FWIW, the rest of AA works just fine. So I have maps, can send text messages, I just can't play my voice mail.

Now there were a couple things different between those two times. I had configured a second google account (added my work email), and Poklemon Go.

I removed my work account this morning, and restarted the phone. Initial testing seemed good, but this issue seems random enough that it needs to work for a long time for me to call it good.

I will add that there was pilot error on my part in deactivating the hotspot. What I deactivated was my connection between the car and my home network. I went to OnStar this morning to deactivate the actual OS hotspot.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just started having the same serious problems with Bluetooth dropping during calls. It seems like it was working a week or two ago and it's gotten very bad. I did switch phones from the Google pixel to Samsung S8. But it sounds like it's not the phone. Help....

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Bluetooth pairing with my Samsung Galaxy-S6 was perfect yesterday. Today I get in the car and see no BT connectivity. Go to Bluetooth in phone to see not only that I am not connected, but the car is not even visible to the phone FOR pairing. Go to BT on Bolt which says Connect a device. Where do I go from here? (I tried clicking my heels together three times, but it did not work!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bluetooth pains for an iPhone

I have an iPhone SE and am having the same problem! On my commute to work I get constant 'connected' 'disconnected' messages on the display. I have tried repairing and disabling various things, but have not found the secret sauce to make it just work. It's pretty annoying as in 2017 this is the most basic of features.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was doing a couple tests today. I went through a few tests similar to what was mentioned here, including clearing bluetooth cache.

What I found to be most effective was restarting my phone. I went from bluetooth dropping every 30 seconds to no bluetooth connection dropping for 20 minutes of driving after I restarted my phone. It was great to have the Android Auto maps running and music going without any fluctuations in the audio for my entire drive.

I typically restart my phone about once every 2 weeks, but maybe now a weekly restart won't hurt. I'll see if it helps.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was doing a couple tests today. I went through a few tests similar to what was mentioned here, including clearing bluetooth cache.

What I found to be most effective was restarting my phone. I went from bluetooth dropping every 30 seconds to no bluetooth connection dropping for 20 minutes of driving after I restarted my phone. It was great to have the Android Auto maps running and music going without any fluctuations in the audio for my entire drive.

I typically restart my phone about once every 2 weeks, but maybe now a weekly restart won't hurt. I'll see if it helps.
In my case, at least, it's not so simple. Before I RMA'd my 6p, I went though several cycles of cache clearing, and factory resets, and the problem was solid after each reboot. It may be an element of the solution for me, but it's not all of it. I haven't had any drops since I truly shut off my hotspot through OnStar, but the testing hasn't been very strenuous yet. Weirdly, after the OS hotspot was shut off, I saw a few messages on my display claiming the car had was trying to connect to that network, although the network doesn't show up in any of our phones or tablets.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bt issues using a one plus 3t: when talking hands free, the console loses connection to the phone. It will try to reconnect once or twice, then the console reboots. This has happened about 5 times in the last two weeks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts