Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through many posts, still has not figured out if it's possible to leave the Bolt running while plugged in.
I need to make sure the AC/heater and music are on with the kid taking a nap in the car.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Page 205 of the owners manual....

"If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the RKE transmitter is
inside, the vehicle will run for two
hours. At the end of the second
hour, the vehicle will turn off.
The timer will reset if the vehicle is
taken out of P (Park) while it is
running."

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ lol...

Shows you how desperate some of us were early on for any Bolt info.
The owners manual was released before the car was available, so some of us read all 360 pages of it!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
There’s a part of me that understands why you might need to leave a kid napping in the car, but there’s a larger part of me that says never to leave a kid napping in the car unattended, period. Even when in your own driveway or in your own garage. Just the way I was raised...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Page 205 of the owners manual....

"If the vehicle is left in P (Park) while
running and the RKE transmitter is
inside, the vehicle will run for two
hours. At the end of the second
hour, the vehicle will turn off.
The timer will reset if the vehicle is
taken out of P (Park) while it is
running."
I have a 1500W inverter to connect to my Bolt's 12V battery as a power source for my fridge and gas furnace during a power outage. Is there a way to disable this automatic vehicle shutdown?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have a 1500W inverter to connect to my Bolt's 12V battery as a power source for my fridge and gas furnace during a power outage. Is there a way to disable this automatic vehicle shutdown?
Sit in the car and contemplate existence. A sack of potatoes might work as well, and who knows might discover a better philosophy to boot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Careful of the co2 emmisions...... wait never mind.

Reactions: mdfreeman

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I find it hard to believe that it would last 2 hours since that's not consistent with my observation of the car. I would say it's off within an hour. I'll have to do a formal experiment one of these days.

And regarding letting my kids nap in the car. That's what basically sealed the deal with my wife. Basically transformed into an AC'ed room for the kids to sleep after a short lunch drive home. And of course, I've got all sorts of baby monitor set up.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
12 Posts
Yeah, I guess it depends on the age of the kids but a lot of bad things can happen in a car that's on with children inside unattended. Just because there are no fumes, doesn't make it any less dangerous. Sorry to be such a downer but it's potentially unsafe... Why take the chance?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I guess it depends on the age of the kids but a lot of bad things can happen in a car that's on with children inside unattended. Just because there are no fumes, doesn't make it any less dangerous. Sorry to be such a downer but it's potentially unsafe... Why take the chance?
Not if you have my kids and tried everything you can to just get them a little needed sleep (one of them is at 5th percentile). I guess I can drive around for an hour in the old van, though the risk of us involved in an accident is much much higher than having them sleeping in an enclosed attached garage with video monitors.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There's also the chance that the kids will wakeup and start messing with the car. I get that the small, quiet, AC space is doing wonders for their nap time. But can you at least sit in the car with them? I mean, the kids I've watched as a youngster only need a nap of an hour or two before they got fidgety and needed to spend energy again. Couldn't you just take a laptop and surf the forums in the car for an hour or two with the kids?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts