Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.

It wasn't easy getting here!

5K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  SDirickson 
#1 ·
Greetings from the far Northwest corner of California!

We just replaced my wife's 2007 Honda CR-V with 207,000 miles with a new red 2018 Bolt LT.

We started out looking at PHEVs as my wife was suffering range anxiety. I convinced her, though, that if you're going to quit ICE, you should not go half way. My experience with my Zero electric motorcycle converted me.

Whenever I shop for something, I over research and over think it. I can't help it. It's a sickness, and yes my spouse is a patient woman. So it took a month to settle on the Chevy. It feels small compared to the CR-V, but it sure is fun to drive!

I look forward to being part of this community and learning from your collective experience. Oh, and I will try to behave.

#3 ·
Sweet. Welcome aboard.

I think the Bolt EV is closest to the HR-V in terms of size. I'm not sure how much bigger the CR-V is.

I, too, sometimes hail from North Western California. It sounds like you might be more from the Eureka/Humboldt area. Infrastructure is coming... slowly... but it is coming.

#4 ·
Sweet. Welcome aboard.

...It sounds like you might be more from the Eureka/Humboldt area. Infrastructure is coming... slowly... but it is coming.

Further north, in Del Norte County actually, and yes infrastructure is bleak unless you're in a Tesla! Fortunately level 1 charging will suit our needs for the time being. We'll get a level 2 EVSE once our checking account cools off a little.:)

#5 ·
Droidish I have had my Bolt since January I totally agree with you on the fun to drive.

Normally I would not have driven a new car over 5K miles in that short period of time, but I love driving, the Bolt makes it easy to enjoy driving again.

The New Miata I bought late last fall is sitting in my garage with barely 3K miles on it, most of the miles on it was last fall before I bought my Bolt.

If I would have bought the Bolt first I doubt I would have bought the Miata.

#19 ·
After looking at the first ad that was linked, it stated you are getting 12A.
But can you not just plug the original cord into any 120V outlet, & get 12A?
These circuits use a 15A breaker. The Bolt defaults to 8A,(In case there are other loads on the circuit), but two touches on the screen,(and accepting a warning about overloading a circuit), gives you the option to select 12A.
What am I missing?
Thnx

#20 ·
Breakers should not be continuously loaded above 80%. A dedicated 15 amp breaker at 80% would yield 12A.

The caution is that you understand that a particular circuit will not be overloaded. The default is 8 amps but 12 amps can be selected if you know the circuit is dedicated or maybe is even a 20 amp circuit. The manual states:

Use the lowest charge level until a qualified electrician inspects the electrical circuit capacity. Use the lowest charge level if the electrical circuit or electrical outlet capacity is not known.

#23 ·
Greetings from the far Northwest corner of California!

We just replaced my wife's 2007 Honda CR-V with 207,000 miles with a new red 2018 Bolt LT.

We started out looking at PHEVs as my wife was suffering range anxiety. I convinced her, though, that if you're going to quit ICE, you should not go half way. My experience with my Zero electric motorcycle converted me.

Whenever I shop for something, I over research and over think it. I can't help it. It's a sickness, and yes my spouse is a patient woman. So it took a month to settle on the Chevy. It feels small compared to the CR-V, but it sure is fun to drive!

I look forward to being part of this community and learning from your collective experience. Oh, and I will try to behave.
Welcome to our group. I also have a patient wife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.