Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
81 - 100 of 122 Posts

· Registered
2022 EV 2LT Black
3,401 Posts
Coasting is zero acceleration
Only if you are on a level plane and you ignore all friction in the equation. Coasting is moving without power. Under the right conditions you could coast without accelerating but in general if you are coasting then you are going to accelerate, either positive or negative.

"Maintaining" speed requires acceleration
Well, by definition No. Acceleration is the change in velocity over time. If you are "Maintaining" speed then you are not accelerating, even if the means you are adding or removing power to do so.

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,597 Posts
Go ahead and call it a gas pedal if you want. Sure it's inaccurate, but who cares? Remember the choke in older cars? By the time I was born it was no longer a choke; it was an enrichener. Still we all called it a choke.
In my 1960 Ford Falcon, I sometimes used the choke as a poor-man's cruise control, on long low-speed (40-45 mi/hr) roads. Wouldn't hold fast enough speeds on the freeway. Boy that engine and 2-speed "Ford-o-Matic" would scream on the freeway!

· Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
5,597 Posts
Technically both pedals are the Accelerator.

There is no such thing as deceleration. There is only positive or negative acceleration. But most people can't grasp that concept so fake words are invented.

I vote for the Electron Pedal. As that is clearly the right pedal. It either uses or creates electrons and brake clearly indicates what the other one is for.
I love pedantic engineers. I are one.

· Registered
2 Posts
So, I'm at a loss as to what to call the right side pedal.

I used to call it a gas pedal, but that doesn't make sense in an EV. I've seen some call it a throttle, but while it does have an electronic linkage to a throttle body in a ICE car, there's no such thing in an EV. I also don't think "accelerator (pedal)" works, because I use the same pedal to slow down in 1 pedal mode. I've seen some here call it a "go pedal", but that doesn't work for the same reason that "accelerator" doesn't.

So far, the best I've come up with is the "NotGas" pedal, but labeling something by describing what it isn't seems wrong. It's also a "NotVolume" pedal, a "NotHorn" pedal, etc.

What is it called? A "battery pedal"?
I refer to it as the GO pedal

· Registered
174 Posts

I used to call it a gas pedal, but that doesn't make sense in an EV. I've seen some call it a throttle, but while it does have an electronic linkage to a throttle body in a ICE car, there's no such thing in an EV. I also don't think "accelerator (pedal)" works, because I use the same pedal to slow down in 1 pedal mode. I've seen some here call it a "go pedal", but that doesn't work for the same reason that "accelerator" doesn't.

So far, the best I've come up with is the "NotGas" pedal, but labeling something by describing what it isn't seems wrong. It's also a "NotVolume" pedal, a "NotHorn" pedal, etc.

Language evolves, do we dial a number on the the phone ? Wrap leftovers in tin foil ? Turn off the light bulb ? Fill up our tank ?

· Registered
5 Posts

it’s a gas pedal. It is for me. It will continue to be so for me. I will never say step on the variable potentiometer. I will never say step on the variable resistor. I really don’t care that it’s not a gas or a solid or a liquid that propels my vehicle. I am stealing the Termanology from the ICE age.

please please please call it whatever you **** well please

· Registered
6,611 Posts
It’s an electric car so it has to be a Rheostat.
I doubt the load is in series with the device in the pedal like a Rheostat. I think a Potentiometer is more likely. But that's just what's attached to the pedal. Most gas cars use the same setup and it's still called a gas pedal.

But since the pedal does many things, how about "Omni-Pedal"?

· Registered
20 Posts
Technically both pedals are the Accelerator.

There is no such thing as deceleration. There is only positive or negative acceleration. But most people can't grasp that concept so fake words are invented.

I vote for the Electron Pedal. As that is clearly the right pedal. It either uses or creates electrons and brake clearly indicates what the other one is for.
deceleration | dēˌseləˈrāSH(ə)n, ˌdēseləˈrāSH(ə)n | nounreduction in speed or rate: speed brakes enable the aircraft to carry out rapid deceleration | a deceleration in economic growth.

· Registered
10 Posts
Accelerator works the best (in my mind). However I have no problem with gas pedal either. Communication is the meeting of meanings so if someone calls it a gas pedal I understand what is meant and do not need to correct them.
I like that. A new metaphor that 100 years from now, people will ask, "why do they call it the gas pedal?"

81 - 100 of 122 Posts