Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
I find the diversity of opinions expressed in this thread regarding free L2 charging very enlightening.

I personally frequently park at and use free L2 charging with the Bolt. I also encourage others to do so even if they don't need a charge but are just opportunity charging.

We are fortunate to have prolific free L2 chargers that are very under utilized. By using them it raises awareness of EVs and has prompted many conversations with a passerby. All the typical questions like "how do you like it?" "How long does it take?" etc...

It also helps reinforce that adding the L2 was a good decision for the establishment.

I greatly value building EV awareness and showing utilization of installed L2s.

Once we reach a point where EVs, or PHEVs, are no longer a novelty in our area, I will stop opportunity charging.
@redpoint5 example of passing by several open EV charging spots with the plug in Prius seems so bizarre to me.

Once the spots are better utilized, I get it, but to leave them empty just seems so strange.

On a side note of us potentially being at the inflection point of EV adoption, I was one of 16 EVs that came out to participate in our July 4th parade yesterday, it was an ad-hoc group put together by posting flyers on the L2 EVSEs, comments on plugshare, and word of mouth.

Lots of interest in EVs...

·
Registered
567 Posts
On a side note of us potentially being at the inflection point of EV adoption, I was one of 16 EVs that came out to participate in our July 4th parade yesterday, it was an ad-hoc group put together by posting flyers on the L2 EVSEs, comments on plugshare, and word of mouth.
I see you are in upstate NY, but I don't know where. That wasn't the parade in Cazenovia, was it? I almost went to that. A few of my friends were there and had a great time!

·
Registered
784 Posts
I see you are in upstate NY, but I don't know where. That wasn't the parade in Cazenovia, was it? I almost went to that. A few of my friends were there and had a great time!
Fairport, NY

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
@redpoint5 example of passing by several open EV charging spots with the plug in Prius seems so bizarre to me.

Once the spots are better utilized, I get it, but to leave them empty just seems so strange.
The thing is, this was at a hotel, and I figured some people might be relying on charging overnight to complete their trip, so I didn't want any possibility of preventing that even though none of the ~8 spots were taken. In hindsight, I should have occupied one of those spots since they weren't used and it was in the hotel I was staying at. Then again, I was so impressed that nobody had ICEd the spots despite a full garage, that I didn't want people to mistake my Prius for a pure ICE and be socialized into thinking it's ok to ICE EV spots.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
And sometimes it is just asshat ICEs that block the chargers.

We have a wonderful minor league baseball park here and there are two EV parking spots with chargers in the front row of the lot. Monday night, both were available. Tuesday night was fireworks night, so a standing-room sold out event. When we arrived, both spots were taken by mongo quad cab pickups. I reported it to the customer service stand and they were totally clueless as to what they could/should do about it.

jack vines

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
And sometimes it is just asshat ICEs that block the chargers.

We have a wonderful minor league baseball park here and there are two EV parking spots with chargers in the front row of the lot. Monday night, both were available. Tuesday night was fireworks night, so a standing-room sold out event. When we arrived, both spots were taken by mongo quad cab pickups. I reported it to the customer service stand and they were totally clueless as to what they could/should do about it.

jack vines

If the "EV Only" spaces are equipped with the correct, legal signage, the trucks can be towed.:mad:

In 20 years of driving EVs, I've never seen a single "EV Only" space that has the correct, legal signage. In CA, the sign must include specific details like the vehicle code number. The existing signs only pay lip service to the EV community, as (imo) property owners don't want the headache of responding to clueless iceholes whose vehicles have been towed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Think about how many people park in handicap spots with no regard for who they are displacing. People are just Dicks with no regard for anything or any one but them selves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
They need to stop putting the EV chargers in the prime parking spots. We just need a place to charge our vehicles. We're not wheel chair bound. Put 'em out in the boonies. I don't mind the walk, especially if it means I'm not as likely to get blocked from a spot.

In a lot of lots, they already have some power to the remote spots to operate lighting.

·
Registered
54 Posts
...and also can be used with the Tesla "UMC" (Universal Mobile Charger) which is Tesla's equivalent of the OEM EVSE that comes with the Volt. The advantage of the Tesla UMC over the GM OEM one is that it has interchangeable AC cords so that you can plug it into 120V/15A, 240V/30A or 240V/50A outlets, and the unit will automatically adapt the charge rate to the kind of outlet you're using.
Well, the big advantage is that with the Tesla UMC you can charge at 32A/240V (if you have the right plug), not the measly 12A/120V the GM unit provides (or 12A/250V if you made yourself the right Adapter for the GM unit)

·
Registered
252 Posts
They need to stop putting the EV chargers in the prime parking spots. We just need a place to charge our vehicles. We're not wheel chair bound. Put 'em out in the boonies. I don't mind the walk, especially if it means I'm not as likely to get blocked from a spot.

In a lot of lots, they already have some power to the remote spots to operate lighting.
In the defense of most parking lots, the reason they tend to put them close is that it is less of a distance to draw a wire TO the charging station.

Most parking lot wiring isn't on a 220 / 240v circuit, or a dual phase circuit.

I can think of one hotel complex that has Tesla and EV charging spots further out in the lot, and there happens to be a large electrical drop there for a utility building.

As for proper towing signage, at least around here in the Austin area I have started seeing some strongly worded signs warning ICE vehicles that they will be towed.

In these cases though, I think business owners have realized that chances are someone with a Tesla is probably spending more money there than a Bro Dozer that's just blocking the wrong spot.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
The only Target in my area that has chargers, about 70 miles south of me, has their chargers far from the front. I get that pulling the wire is a big cost, but they don't have to pull the wire from the store, chances are there's wire running underground the parking lot. This Target has the chargers and then a mini substation nearby to support the DCFC stuff and I could see the electric meter there as well.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts