Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my sad, ridiculous and frustrating story-

I have over 10,000 miles on my Bolt and never took it in for the free service check up and tire rotation that they recommend at 7500 miles, so I decided to get that done. While it was there, I wanted to also take care of two small (I thought anyhow) warranty claims.

One was the small driver's seat separation, that little split in the side of the seat back. There is a thread here about it as it has happened to others. Mine was pretty minor and hard to even notice, but I thought, what the heck! The other issue was a new rattle that had cropped up coming from the lift gate. I have to admit, it was getting worse and annoying, still just a rattle, how hard could it be?

I checked it in and they said no problem, we'll get right on it. They offered me a loaner and I made the huge mistake of declining it. I thought it would just be a few days, a week tops if they needed parts and I had my wife waiting in her car and I have other cars at home. A loaner seemed unnecessary.

Week one went by and nothing happened. The beginning of week two I called and they told me that the rattle was coming from the spoiler on the lift gate and that they were ordering a new gasket for it. Fine. Another week goes by and I call again and they now tell me that the gasket didn't fix it and now they were ordering a new spoiler and when they got it, it would have to go to the paint shop because it is body color. I asked if they could save the old spoiler so I could see for myself what was going on and they said no. It had to go back to Chevrolet. They promised to take pictures... we'll see.

About this time I inform them of the battery pack reprograming issue and that I would like to take care of that too while it's there. The service writer haven't heard of it yet, but looked it up and said, no problem, they would do it.

Week three comes along and they tell me the spoiler is out at the body shop. I ask them about all the other items on the punch list and they tell me that they are all done and they are just waiting on the spoiler. When they get it, they will stick it on right away and call me up. They told me a pick up on Monday, the beginning of week four.

After several days go by well into week four, I call them up again and now they tell me, they had to order parts for the seat repair!! They were now waiting on more parts! I was supposed to have the car back by the end of the week.

Well, today marks exactly one month. I called them today (notice it's mostly me calling them) and said WTF??! They said they are still waiting on parts but that I was the number one priority in the shop and as soon as the parts come in, they will work on my car above all others. I asked them what the heck about this whole seat issue as I had been told it was all fixed and he started back pedaling and deflecting off to the "technician" that worked on my car. He said he thought he had it fixed but he didn't and so...

I should have my car by the end of the week. We'll see. I have zero confidence this will actually happen and I'm now paranoid about the possibility of a horror show when I see it. I really have no idea what's been going on, or what has really happened. Did they crash my car and have to repaint it? Did something go horribly wrong and they patched it up? This is not what I have ever experienced with any new car before.

I feel like if I had taken that loaner, this would have been resolved faster. Live and learn.

Anyhow, it's just my story and just one data point, but Dublin Chevrolet... I don't recommend them for service.:(

·
Registered
234 Posts
I would be absolutely embarrassed if I were this dealership. I understand I am investing in new technology so there are going to be issues but would never expect such horrible customer service. I hope they are an outlier...

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In the past week or so I have become moderately fearful that kEVin might [email protected] out on me in a place with zero ATT reception, or while in a heavy traffic.

I guess I have been spoiled rotten by Toyota.
Here's the thing, the car has been running great. I mostly took it in for a tire rotation. These warranty issues I claimed had nothing to do with the operation of the car, just minor annoyances. If there were no warranty, the seat thing I wouldn't have done anything. It was so minor that I would have to direct you to see it. The rattle I likely would have tackled myself.

Remember, internet forums like these have the effect of amplifying problems and making any car look like an unreliable POS. That's because people come here to *****. When everything is going fine, they don't post. People that are researching, or worried about their car, go looking for the bitching and find it. They also tend to skip over all the posts about the awesome trip somebody took, or how much a guy loves their car, or any other positive thread about the car. They just want the dirt.

Bottom line, I have not lost faith in my car, or Chevrolet, but this particular dealership? Yes. I have little faith in them.

·
Registered
390 Posts
A very unfortunate incident. And most likely a problem for you. Sorry to hear this has happened. But your story is about your dealer, not a car brand. I don't really understand what this has to do with Tesla ...

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
I don't really understand what this has to do with Tesla ...
There is a remarkable phenomenon in the EV community - and I am not sure if it is endemic to the US - that could be described as Compulsive Uttering of Love/Hate for Tesla (C.U.L.T.). You may have noticed that some of the longest threads on this forum have the word Tesla in their title :)

·
Registered
2021 Sienna LE AWD "Mr. Sparkollz"
1,243 Posts
Here's the thing, the car has been running great.
Like I just said, I have been spoiled rotten by Toyota. I have recently gone through the list of all the brands I have driven in the past 20 years in both Europe and the US, and ...

I remember having an engine block crack in a Peugeot, a turbocharger failure in a Renault, a fuel system falling apart in a VW, a sudden electrical death in a Ford, and a variety of non-lethal ailments in Opels and Hyundais ... mind you, all these were <100K miles, and most just a couple of years old.

I am kind of beginning to think that if Toyota doesn't offer a long-range, affordable BEV, it probably means the tech is still too raw for prime time. But, i am stuck with kEVin until May 16, 2020, and lot can happen in 2 years and 3 weeks to change my mind.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There is a remarkable phenomenon in the EV community - and I am not sure if it is endemic to the US - that could be described as Compulsive Uttering of Love/Hate for Tesla (C.U.L.T.). You may have noticed that some of the longest threads on this forum have the word Tesla in their title :)
You are not referring to topics like "Review of Model 3 - Bolt EV owners afeared?", are you? :D

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A very unfortunate incident. And most likely a problem for you. Sorry to hear this has happened. But your story is about your dealer, not a car brand. I don't really understand what this has to do with Tesla ...
Oh, just because Telsa has/had a reputation for really long service times. People were complaining that they would take their Tesla in for repair and it would take weeks and months to get it back. That's the only reason why.

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, any way you look at it, they are the hot topic of conversation in the auto industry these days.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I don't really understand what this has to do with Tesla ...
it's the fourth word in the title of this thread - and I think it's an allusion to the fact that sometimes Tesla owners have problems getting their cars serviced in a timely manner…

quite frankly I believe the problems are overblown - and the best service is no service required - I've owned lots of cars, and when they work fine it's no problem, but if they are broken - it's rarely been a quick/easy experience - exceptions are: Honda/Toyota - the rest all have issues…Chevy & Tesla included...

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
What a shame.... seems like another clueless dealership!

I have resisted bringing my Bolt in for service since I bought it a year ago... just one item (not including the batt SW update now due) needs to be addressed..3 of the presets on my radio don't work.
The dealership has already told me they will replace the complete radio head assembly. I have a short list of radio/sat channels I listen to, so I have been getting by without the 3 non functioning presets... but you can't go past them in either direction (it's like hitting preset 15 and you can't keep going round the horn to preset 1 by hitting next... you have to hit UP 14 times to get back to preset 1 again) so it's annoying.
Thing is- in pulling the radio- I'm worried about them scratching something on the dash, or breaking clips, or damaging something else, etc... and just shoving it back together and now I'll have to live with rattles, etc... for the rest of the Bolt's life.

It's a sad commentary on the quality of service when you're fearful of bringing your new car in for service because it might come out worse than when it went in :crying:

Reactions: Lin19687 and DaV8or

·
Super Moderator
2,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's a sad commentary on the quality of service when you're fearful of bringing your new car in for service because it might come out worse than when it went in :crying:
This has always been my fear with all my new cars. Even my used cars have been damaged by repair shops. Some will own up to it and make it right and others will lie to you. I am particularly worried this time.

·
Registered
10,203 Posts
I always did the service on our cars. When my wife got her new 2006 Corolla, they talked her into "free tires for life", if she got her oil changes done there. It didn't take long to figure out it would have been cheaper to buy the tires, and do my own oil changes. When we dropped out of the program, the very first oil change I did on her car, I discovered they had cross threaded the drain plug. I had to run to town and get an oversized plug, and drill and tap the pan.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think I would be on the phone to GM to complain about the dealership. Or at the very least, when you get that email or letter asking for your opinion of the service you received, be brutally honest.

The dealerships seem to be really concerned about how people respond in those surveys to GM about service at the dealership.

I had my Bolt in for a dead/defective 12V battery, which was replaced with no problem. But I also wanted to have the software update for the radio installed while it was there. I even had the number of the update with me. But they told me there was no such update. I relayed that message to GM in my survey and asked how it was possible for me to know about a software update but not the dealership. The manager of the dealership called me within a week of me sending in that survey to tell me there is an update, and they will be glad to install it for me. They also want to give me a $50.00 credit for my trouble.

So if it was me, and my car was not repaired by the end of the week, I would mention to them how unhappy you are, and will be relaying that back to GM.

One last thing: If it does not go well, you may be looking for another dealership for service.....

JMHO

Jim I - Very Happy 2012 Volt & 2017 Bolt Owner

·
Registered
390 Posts
it's the fourth word in the title of this thread - and I think it's an allusion to the fact that sometimes Tesla owners have problems getting their cars serviced in a timely manner…
Of course it is. That's a no-brainer. My point is, it does not make sense to refer to the (justified or not) reputation of an entire brand because of a single incident with a Bolt (Especially as it seems to be more related to a specific dealer more than to the the brand). Or did we really think these kind of mishaps were an exclusive for Testla?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.