Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Well, it's official now: Chevy has decided that the Bolt will indeed be named the Bolt after doing some studies on potential customers. This news comes straight from Chevy marketing boss Tim Mahoney.

There had been reports of discussions about changing the name since it is so similar to the 'Volt'. There were concerns that confusion between the two names could be a bad thing for potential customers, but it seems as though those concerns did not play out after careful study.

Mahoney says that the studies found there were actually benefits to the Bolt name and its similarity to the Volt. He said that the sound alike names create "synergies", and the image association between Bolt and Volt "connotes good things."

The Bolt name also has an immediate association with Chevy partly because it is already known in automotive circles, and it also sounds like Chevy Volt which has an even wider name recognition.

"Since unveiling the Bolt EV three months ago, the name has quickly become associated with Chevrolet," said company spokesman Michael Albano. "We checked with customers and dealers and affirmed our belief that the name is a good fit and the association with Volt was seen as a positive."
So there you ave it. The Bolt will be called the Bolt, and this leaves me wondering if Chevy will have to name its next EV something that ends in -olt in order to stick to the same naming structure. I'm thinking the "Chevy Jolt". :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
There was no other better name as far as I seen it. Easy to remember, in line with the other Chevy electric and just seems RIGHT.
I bet if they were to do a survey among customers, most would be in favor of Bolt.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh they did do a survey. Two of them. You can tell from the final decision what the results of those surveys were.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The official name is "Chevrolet Bolt EV"

GM has filed two applications to register “Bolt EV” and “Chevrolet Bolt EV” as trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Here is one source:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/general-motors-files-trademark-applications-for-bolt-ev-and-chevrolet-bolt-ev/

So the name is "Chevy Bolt EV", similar to the "Chevy Spark EV". The Spark has existed as a gas engine vehicle for many years worldwide. I can guess that a gas version of the Bolt may exist, and eventualy it can replace the Spark as GM smallest vehicle.

·
Registered
79 Posts
GM has filed two applications to register “Bolt EV” and “Chevrolet Bolt EV” as trademarks with the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Here is one source:
http://gmauthority.com/blog/2015/06/general-motors-files-trademark-applications-for-bolt-ev-and-chevrolet-bolt-ev/

So the name is "Chevy Bolt EV", similar to the "Chevy Spark EV". The Spark has existed as a gas engine vehicle for many years worldwide. I can guess that a gas version of the Bolt may exist, and eventualy it can replace the Spark as GM smallest vehicle.
This is very interesting! It sound like a gasoline bolt may be coming too!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Doesn't make sense to also have a gasoline version when they already have vehicle that do what a gasoline bolt could do. But of course it was their response to the trademark issue.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Doesn't make sense to also have a gasoline version when they already have vehicle that do what a gasoline bolt could do. But of course it was their response to the trademark issue.
No there would be far too much overlap with the Sonic. The two are essentially sister cars, as it is the Bolt is using a modified version of the Sonic platform for its under bits.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think it would be a bad idea to make a gas version of the Bolt. I think they should preserve the Bolt brand by keeping it an EV. At the least it could be a hybrid, but not just a full on gas powered vehicle.

·
Registered
639 Posts
No there would be far too much overlap with the Sonic. The two are essentially sister cars, as it is the Bolt is using a modified version of the Sonic platform for its under bits.
That would be why I said what I said, that need is already fulfilled.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts