Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me explain what I mean by that. I once read that the way to tell if a new automotive feature, or technology was true innovation, or just a sales gimmick, was to live with the feature for a while and then go back to driving without it. If you really, really miss this new tech, then it's a real innovation. If you really don't mind life without it, it's just a gimmick.

Yesterday I unexpectedly got called to do a job in South San Francisco today that is about 73 miles from my house. I thought, no problem, I'll just make sure to plug the Bolt in that night and all will be well, but we're doing a major renovation on our house right now and the contractor left his debris trailer parked in my normal spot and so the charging cord would never reach.

The car showed 144 (average) miles left. I briefly thought about getting out the L1 charger and an extension cord, but I was tired and sweaty from working in the sun all day. (I'm doing all the electrical work on the renovation) I was lazy and said, "Forget it, I'll just take another car tomorrow."

Well, this morning I got up at 5am and reconsidered. My options were- Take my Pontiac Solstice, but it has a 5 speed manual and sucks in stop and go traffic that I would certainly encounter, take my 2001 Ford Focus wagon (the car the Bolt replaced but I just haven't got around to selling yet) but it's air conditioning is dead and it has some annoying "old car" traits, or take my 2006 Ford E-350 cargo van which is over kill and get's terrible gas mileage... ooooorrrr, just take the Bolt and figure out charging on the way home.

Well, the Bolt is no gimmick. I sold it to myself by saying "Hey, stop and go traffic is kind of hyper miling" and, "I'm going to a hip new tech start up on the peninsula and there are likely charging options near by."

Off I went in the Bolt...

I guess today was "flex Friday" or something because there was no stop and go traffic going in. I pretty much sailed high through. However I decided to do my best hyper miling anyhow and did end up at the destination showing 84 miles left. Then the great news. The place I was going to had four L2 charging stations right by the front door! They had a four hour time limit on how long you could stay there, so I plugged her in and set a timer on my phone to let me know to come and move it.

This was my first public charging experience. It was clunky, kind of annoying and required me to get out the owner's manual, but I got it working. I think it told me I was being charged $1.50 an hour and was getting 22.5 Kw. When I came down to move the car, it showed I gained 60 miles. Plenty to drive home like a normal person. No more hyper miling! :D

Oh yeah... when I first got to my destination I was the only EV around, but when I came down to move the Bolt, there three more Bolts parked there! One charging like me and two parked. A red one, a blue one, a black one and mine. I took a picture of the black one because it had a Thule roof rack mounted and it was an LT, not Premier, but that's for another thread... There were also several Leafs around, but strangely only one Tesla. I would have thought more considering where I was.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I had a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and sold it to buy my new truck. I missed it and purchased the refreshed 2014.

When my sales manager came out to the shop and told me the Bolt order window was open, I was like a little kid waiting in line at Disney :nerd:

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi and sold it to buy my new truck. I missed it and purchased the refreshed 2014.

When my sales manager came out to the shop and told me the Bolt order window was open, I was like a little kid waiting in line at Disney :nerd:
Yeah, isn't it kind of embarrassing to work at a GM dealership but roll up in Fords?? :laugh: I'm super glad GM solved that problem for you!

·
Registered
14 Posts
There is somehow great advantage in using Chevy Bolt, and also there is a possibility of horrible things that might happen. It is only good to know that because Bolt is now popular, you can get some help from other owners. Go now for a deal on Chevy Bolt!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts