Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read this write up on Automotive News about the Bolt being designed as being something that was special and not something that would stand out as weird. Chevy doesn't want people to see it as a regular car rather than a zero emission vehicle, but something more. Pretty interesting read but do you guys find it quirky and weird? Or do you actually just see it as a regular vehicle for driving?

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170130/RETAIL03/301309973/chevy-touts-bolt-as-special-but-not-weird
"If you're going to go to the masses, it can't be this quirky thing," said the Bolt's chief engineer, Mike Lelli. "There are lots of people who like the car not because it's zero-emissions but because of the way it drives."

·
Registered
786 Posts
All GM EVs are "special" because they have their own body style. Now the 2017 Chevy Cruze is using a copy of the Volt's body because it is aerodynamic and efficient. The Tesla Motors Model S is spaecial, too, becaus eit looks like a British Jaguar ( I have seen both and they do look alike).

The Ford Fusion was special because it looks like an Aston Martin, but now all of its versions have the same look, gas or hybrid. The 2017 Fusion Sports Edition is different because it has the Mustang grille, insted of the original parallel bars, and a new 300 HP V6 engine..

·
Registered
735 Posts
Different styles have their place in the market and when your creating a true EV like the Bolt going for a design that reflects its tech advancement is the way to go. That way you really attract people who really dig that level of tech and the whole "green" movement.

Similar to the whole understated hybrids out there. Some people want to be "green" but not make it obvious.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
There's a time and place for quirky and the Bolt isn't it. Chevrolet wanted the Bolt to bring EV vehicles into the mainstream market and to do that they can't make it look like a niche car.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely think they hit the nail on the head in that case.. the Bolt isn't something that you look at and it screams EV at you. The rear end of the first gen volt and second gen prius kinda gave off that look, at least to me it did.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don't forget the Leaf! It's frog-eye headlights are pretty funny to look at and scream EV. I'll be returning my leased 2013 Leaf this morning as I picked up my new silver ice premier Bolt last night!!!

So happy!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Now that you mention it... The Leaf really did look like a frog with those elongated headlights. Congrats on the new Bolt!

Those who are into the quirky look may miss it, but in the long run to mass market electric vehicles, they need to blend in with what we're used to. That's what Tesla did with the model S, looks like an average sedan until you notice the badge and grille.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I don't know how we're ignoring the i3 in this either! It just looks all sorts of snub nosed wrong haha! The Bolt, aesthetically, shines in the EV world in my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts