Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I took pictures of what seems to be the rear (not so obvious) and front (quite obvious) jacking points on my Bolt EV.
Thanks for posting these pictures. I just took delivery of my Bolt and the front jacking points were pretty obvious but at a quick glance I couldn't figure where the rear ones are. Now I'll know what to look for.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I took pictures of what seems to be the rear (not so obvious) and front (quite obvious) jacking points on my Bolt EV. The rear ones are quite deep and more difficult to access. Do you think these are the correct points? I couldn't find anything else that made sense. Plus in the service manual's diagram (I assume this is where NY-Rob got it), points 1, 2, and 4 don't seem very sturdy.

Notice from the pictures a wear spot that could be from the factory's hydraulic lift. What do you think?
are the rear points at different levels? is there a special adapter to hit both of them at the same time? or is there room to jack at one circle and get a jackstand under the other one?

·
Registered
1,228 Posts

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
are the rear points at different levels? is there a special adapter to hit both of them at the same time? or is there room to jack at one circle and get a jackstand under the other one?
The two circular holes in the rear jacking points are at the same level.

I have a trolley jack that can't reach up into that area without the arm impacting the pinch weld at the side of the vehicle, so I cut a couple of 5-inch pieces of 2x4 and screwed them together to fit between the car's jacking point and the trolley jack. Seemed to work well enough for me to get the rear tire off and on (I was checking to see if it would fit in the lower cargo compartment. Answer: No).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Could anyone translate these instructions (from the bottom of the page in the above diagram) in plain English for the non-mechanics that some of us are?
They circled the location on the diagram and coded it with a number, 3 (toward front) and 4 (toward the end).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Torque wrench setting

You can use a regular floor jack w/pad under location #3 for changing the front wheels....
Lugs are 19mm and should be torqued to 100ft/lbs.
NY-Rob, did you get the 100 ft-lbs setting from the service manual? Other source? I used your recommended setting to install my winter wheels. Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
Yes, and I just found the S-10/Blazer jack on eBay for $35. It had a bit of rust on it, but nothing a wire brush won't fix.

I can confirm that this jack will enable changing a tire in all all four positions.

The round-hole jack receptacle area for the front wheel is more obvious. There are two just back of the front wheel.

At the rear, there are two round-hole jack receptacles, up in the frame, more hidden, and only the hole toward the front of the car allows access to the lifting portion of the jack without the jack's impinging on any portion of the body. The clearance is close, but it works.
I managed to find an S-10/Blazer jack at my local scrap yard for the princely sum of $6.25. I just got around to trying it on the Bolt - I didn't try the rear round-hole jacking points but I was able to confirm that I can use the jack on the front round-hole jacking point to raise the entire side of the car so that you can change the front or rear wheel. That works especially well if you have to use a limited-service spare when you have a flat front wheel - since both wheels on one side are off the ground it's pretty easy to swap the spare for the good tire on the rear wheel and then move that wheel to the front (because you don't want to run the car with the limited service spare on the steering/drive wheels).

The jack I found has a built-in handle which I like - one less part to misplace compared to a jack with a separate one. The handle is only a foot long but it works surprisingly well to raise half of the weight of the rather heavy Bolt.

Now all I have to do is to find a 16" Cruze wheel and the proper limited-service spare for it...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks!
I can't believe the owner's manual doesn't show this.
Also, I see this image was viewable a few pages back but only on the PC.
(same Chrome browser on the mobile version, which I primarily use, didn't show various posts, details, unless I am having senior moments)
Larry

·
Registered
104 Posts
Obviously, service jack points (me in the garage) are 1 & 4.
Shop lift points are 1 & 2. Use 1 & 2 for jack stands as well, using pads.

(I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so it takes me a while....)

I'm going to paint my calipers bright ford blue ... caliper covers are expensive.
And don't caliper covers invite moisture, mag chloride?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Cute Locking Lugnuts are a PITA

At the last minute I was going to remove a wheel and realized there's a 'locking' lug nut on each wheel.
I could not find the GM supplied tool to remove them anywhere in the car - glove box, non-spare tire area, etc.
I finally called the dealership and the salesman told me to look in the bottom compartment of the console.
Voila' - there they were.
I replaced the lockers with the non-lockers.
(looking at youtube vids, it's easy to twist off the lockers with a hammered-on socket)
-Larry

Obviously, service jack points (me in the garage) are 1 & 4.
Shop lift points are 1 & 2. Use 1 & 2 for jack stands as well, using pads.

(I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed so it takes me a while....)

I'm going to paint my calipers bright ford blue ... caliper covers are expensive.
And don't caliper covers invite moisture, mag chloride?

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
About this Discussion
78 Replies
33 Participants
sparks
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing