Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have browsed a bunch of threads here. I ordered a OEM refurbished wheel and intending to have it fitted with the same tires I recently had put on my 2019 Bolt Premier to use as a replacement, if I am on a road trip and have a flat. I am trying to find a jack or jack + pad that I could safely use to change a tire. I am not comfortable buying an old jack off ebay from some random seller. I found these pads on amazon that I thought might work with a standard jack: Amazon.com: BMZX Tesla Model Y Model 3 Jack Pad Floor Jack Pad Adapter Puck Jack Lift Pad with Storage Bag (4 Packs): Automotive

I was also intending to buy a set of chokes.

I would appreciate constructive feedback.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I have browsed a bunch of threads here. I ordered a OEM refurbished wheel and intending to have it fitted with the same tires I recently had put on my 2019 Bolt Premier to use as a replacement, if I am on a road trip and have a flat. I am trying to find a jack or jack + pad that I could safely use to change a tire. I am not comfortable buying an old jack off ebay from some random seller. I found these pads on amazon that I thought might work with a standard jack: Amazon.com: BMZX Tesla Model Y Model 3 Jack Pad Floor Jack Pad Adapter Puck Jack Lift Pad with Storage Bag (4 Packs): Automotive

I actually picked up less-fancy looking pads off of Amazon as well (Amazon.com: MUTOCAR Jack Pad Universal Slotted Frame Rubber Jack Pad 6.5cm/2.56inch Frame Rail Protector,2Pack: Automotive) and have been using them with a standard Harbor Freight floor jack for my tire rotations. It's been holding up well so far.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I actually picked up less-fancy looking pads off of Amazon as well (Amazon.com: MUTOCAR Jack Pad Universal Slotted Frame Rubber Jack Pad 6.5cm/2.56inch Frame Rail Protector,2Pack: Automotive) and have been using them with a standard Harbor Freight floor jack for my tire rotations. It's been holding up well so far.
Ok, thanks, I thought there was a concern with the car coming off a flat topped jack? Also, I was looking for a jack that would be easier to stow in the car, a Scissor Jack, rather than a floor jack. I usually, just let Discount Tire do my tire rotations, they offer them for free.

What would a standard jack be, exactly? Whatever you get, be sure it is rated for a 3,569 pound vehicle.
Yes, I am aware of the curb weight. I meant like used to come in a car, a "Scissor Jack", I believe they are called. Something like: Amazon.com: LIBRA Set of 2 5000lbs RV Trailer Stabilizer Leveling Scissor Jacks w/Dual Power Drill sockets & mounting Hardware Set …: Automotive that could be relatively easily stowed in a car.

I've seen a lot of people recommend a Chevy S10 pickup jack.
Yes, but these are very old and they come in different versions. Which is a concern of mine.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Ok, thanks, I thought there was a concern with the car coming off a flat topped jack? Also, I was looking for a jack that would be easier to stow in the car, a Scissor Jack, rather than a floor jack. I usually, just let Discount Tire do my tire rotations, they offer them for free.

Yes, I am aware of the curb weight. I meant like used to come in a car, a "Scissor Jack", I believe they are called. Something like: Amazon.com: LIBRA Set of 2 5000lbs RV Trailer Stabilizer Leveling Scissor Jacks w/Dual Power Drill sockets & mounting Hardware Set …: Automotive that could be relatively easily stowed in a car.

Yes, but these are very old and they come in different versions. Which is a concern of mine.
Yes, I actually have both the floor jack with that adapter plus the S10 jack which I keep in the car. Bought it off of eBay. I keep it in the car together with a full sized spare.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts

Yes, I am aware of the curb weight. I meant like used to come in a car, a "Scissor Jack", I believe they are called.
The age of a steel jack is irrelevant. Most are stored in a bag behind the seat, or under a spare, and used perhaps once or twice in a decade.

The S-10 jack is a scissors jack, with the correct bump on top, and with a high enough weight rating. There is only one variable that matters, the height of the top piece with the bump. Either version will work to jack the front of the Bolt. To reach the recessed jack points in the rear requires one with the taller piece.

Mine is the taller version, and came with a lug wrench, and two wheel chocks. The enamel was like new. It arrived looking just as it did in the ad pictures.

S-10 to Bolt jack.jpg

I have used it four times to rotate my tires, so far. It will lift the entire side of the car, although I don't recommend that. I use my floor jack under the opposite end for swapping wheels.

adapter for Bolt.jpg

·
Registered
108 Posts
Lots of Bolt owners like the Chevy S10 scissor jack. Should be suitable for the Bolt since some Blazers were/are even heavier than the Bolt.

I bought mine from Craigslist. Seller threw in the factory wheel chocks + 19mm lug nut wrench - $20 for everything:

Haven't had to use it on a flat yet. But everything went smoothly during my last rotation:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you everyone, I ordered an S10 from e-bay, the photos showed it to be in good shape. Hopefully, it works out.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Lots of Bolt owners like the Chevy S10 scissor jack. Should be suitable for the Bolt since some Blazers were/are even heavier than the Bolt.

I bought mine from Craigslist. Seller threw in the factory wheel chocks + 19mm lug nut wrench - $20 for everything:
View attachment 34558
Haven't had to use it on a flat yet. But everything went smoothly during my last rotation:
View attachment 34559
Where did you get that Jack stand?

·
Registered
2019 bolt Lt
47 Posts
I wouldn't use any of those flimsy scissor jacks on the road or in my garage, the way the car shifts position when raised is a real danger at the bolts weight,that i have seen.Try one at home to see for your self before putting your confidence in that method .I wouldn't use anything but a floor jack with my custom oak blocks and several wheel chocks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Where did you get that Jack stand?
Ps. I know it's a lot of money for a jackstand. But some things I just don't want to pinch pennies on.
If you've heard about the recalled Harbor Freight stands - you know where I'm coming from.

Pps. I need robust stands; I don't have a service jack. :D

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I would NOT recommend any jackstand that is depending on welds as part of the structure. I have ones with a solid cast aluminum base. I also like pushing a wheel under the car if I'm working underneath it so the car won't come completely down if something goes wrong. Luckily, I don't expect to every have to crawl under the Bolt, unlike every one of my previous cars.

Many years ago I had some jackstands given to me that looked like this:

Long before the harbor freight ones were failing, these were extremely common and they relied on the welds holding the straps to the legs around the bottom. Over time, the crappy welds would corrode and snap off. If you have any of these laying around, please cut or otherwise make them unusable and dispose of them.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I've been using a hockey puck on my jack for years, looks new. A puck on Amazon is $4.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't use any of those flimsy scissor jacks on the road or in my garage, the way the car shifts position when raised is a real danger at the bolts weight,that i have seen.Try one at home to see for your self before putting your confidence in that method .I wouldn't use anything but a floor jack with my custom oak blocks and several wheel chocks.
I will definitely be giving it a try in the garage, I wouldn't want to try something for the first time on the shoulder of a highway! :) I will likely try several, different ideas from this thread and see what I find works best for me.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You might enjoy this.
That was very interesting, but nothing crushed lower than its rating. Another thing to keep in mind is that all these products were brand new. So, no metal fatigue, which can be a concern with older metal. And that ICE vehicles have more vibration (which causes metal fatigue) than an EV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would NOT recommend any jackstand that is depending on welds as part of the structure. I have ones with a solid cast aluminum base. I also like pushing a wheel under the car if I'm working underneath it so the car won't come completely down if something goes wrong. Luckily, I don't expect to every have to crawl under the Bolt, unlike every one of my previous cars.

Many years ago I had some jackstands given to me that looked like this:

Long before the harbor freight ones were failing, these were extremely common and they relied on the welds holding the straps to the legs around the bottom. Over time, the crappy welds would corrode and snap off. If you have any of these laying around, please cut or otherwise make them unusable and dispose of them.
Hmm, welds can be weak points, but most factory made products the welds will be done by robots these days. Which means they should be consistently reliable.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts