Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
nk @Ronglos was answering your question on the torque setting for the lug nuts - 100 ft. lbs.

I don't see the value of a jack stand in changing a flat tire. After jacking the wheel up; place the spare under that corner if you want extra safety. After pulling the bad wheel off; now put that underneath before taking the spare out.
Doh! Thanks!

So 100 ft/lbs?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
165 Posts
SO, your amazon order list looks good for doing tire rotation in your garage. or changing brake pads at 200,000 miles, not because they wear down but likely rusting apart (joking).
On the note of when "America was great" ( I think it still is)... All those parts you ordered are made in China, imported to the US on a giant container ship, that blocks the Suez canal. (also joking about the Suez)
YOu have a torque wrench?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
SO, your amazon order list looks good for doing tire rotation in your garage. or changing brake pads at 200,000 miles, not because they wear down but likely rusting apart (joking).
On the note of when "America was great" ( I think it still is)... All those parts you ordered are made in China, imported to the US on a giant container ship, that blocks the Suez canal. (also joking about the Suez)
YOu have a torque wrench?
Yes!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Why a 3/4 and not a 19mm? I'm using a Titan deep socket with plastic inserts to protect the rim and lug nut. I was going back and forth between a traditional breaker bar(like the one you're getting); or the collapsible style(Gorilla, etc). The traditional breaker bar is nice - once you break loose the nut; you can straighten the bar and spin/roll fast. But I went with the collapsible bar since it fits perfectly in the styrofoam slot where the folding reflective triangle goes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Why a 3/4 and not a 19mm? I'm using a Titan deep socket with plastic inserts to protect the rim and lug nut. I was going back and forth between a traditional breaker bar(like the one you're getting); or the collapsible style(Gorilla, etc). The traditional breaker bar is nice - once you break loose the nut; you can straighten the bar and spin/roll fast. But I went with the collapsible bar since it fits perfectly in the styrofoam slot where the folding reflective triangle goes.
View attachment 34734
I put my calipers on it and came up with 3/4" is that off?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I put my calipers on it and came up with 3/4" is that off?
It's close enough and you can use one in a pinch. But since you have neither and have to buy one - I'd go w/ a 19mm that's made specifically for lug nuts. Chevy stopped using imperial fasteners in the '70s.

One other note. The socket in your link was meant for a nut/bolt that's sticking out. Chevy Bolt's wheel lug nuts are recessed. Lug nut specific sockets are thin walled. Some like the Titan I'm using even has a plastic covers to protect the nut & rim:

·
Registered
2020 Bolt LT
165 Posts
A 3/4" socket is 0.750". A 19 mm socket is 0.748". The tolerance on either, unless you are talking military grade wrench and fasteners, is going to make the difference meaningless.
a 3/4" is 19.05mm, it makes a huge difference if you are O.C.D. :ROFLMAO:...:unsure:
3/4" is way too loose on 19mm bolthead.

·
Registered
8,205 Posts
a 3/4" is 19.05mm, it makes a huge difference if you are O.C.D. :ROFLMAO:...:unsure:
3/4" is way too loose on 19mm bolthead.
All the bikes and cars I owned as a youngster were European, and Japanese, so I had a complete set of metric tools before I ever bought any Imperial tools. God save the aristocracy. :ROFLMAO:

When I went to work in a machine shop, I had to buy Imperial tools, and use thousandths of an inch.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Anyone know of a compressor that will work with the 12V outlet on the Bolt?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Anyone know of a compressor that will work with the 12V outlet on the Bolt?
I'm usually not a big fan of Harbor Freight products. But I got this after watching a Youtube review/comparison.
Been using it for 6 months now. Haven't had a flat yet; but have used it a few times to pump up the tires. Works
pretty good for the size and the cord/hose is long enough to reach both back tires:

41 - 54 of 54 Posts