Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SUCCESS! The newest addition to Jacksonville's DC fast charging network more or less reliably provides a stunning 20,000 (Twenty Thousand) Watts of DC charging power!

According to the charger display screen, a Chevy Bolt at 10% SOC will need only 129 minutes to regain an 80% SOC. At just $0.15 per minute, regaining those 167 miles of range will cost only $21...A 30 mpg regular car would need almost six gallons of gas at only $3.69 per gallon to provide equivalent cost per mile.

Fortunately, there's a mall with a food court a few hundred steps away...you can while away the 129 minutes eating fast food and then wandering the mall, watching all the teens with their baggy shorts and torn jeans - what better way to spend over two hours?

Meanwhile here are a few lines of song and poetry to help pick the only charger:

"Number one is not done - EA's thought is "just say not to ChaDeMO!"

"Number Four - Nevermore - dead in the app, taking a nap

"Don't be deceived by Number Three...shows good in the app, but that's a trap. After awhile with Tech Support, you'll have no choice but to abort"

"Number two is the only one for you...its mere twenty kiloWatts will keep you in the parking lot"

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Jacksonville, FL?

·
Registered
334 Posts
That really stinks. So you started with 10% and it never got above 20kW?

I do know that EA is rolling out the fix for these derated stations. I talked to one of the guys doing the repairs the other day and he said there were over 300 chargers that had to be fixed.

This was in Valdosta, GA where EA now reports that the repairs are complete. It took them about a week for that site be repaired and back to full strength.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep - never over 20 kW.

While I get that it was necessary to derate some (let's be real - MOST) EAs to sub 50 kW while they work out whatever it is that went awry) EA so far refuses to acknowledge / own the various stations / chargers that are for whatever reason limited to 20 kW.

To me, getting only 20 kW is huge...For us (Bolt owners) the derate to 50 kW impact is only minor - in the field it causes a drop from 55 kW to 45 kW which matters only when SOC is below 55%...in other words, just a few extra minutes of charge time

Getting only 20 kW totally changes a road trip...who in their right mind would agree to or plan for 2 hour charging stops for every two hours of interstate highway driving?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
That's why we need at least 3, preferably 5 nation-wide charging competitors. Right now, looks like EA, EVgo and Chargepoint. GM is trying to start one but looking for investors.

·
Registered
334 Posts
That's why we need at least 3, preferably 5 nation-wide charging competitors. Right now, looks like EA, EVgo and Chargepoint. GM is trying to start one but looking for investors.
I haven't heard about GM's plans. GM has always claimed that they would not get into the charging business. Do you have a link for this?

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I haven't heard about GM's plans. GM has always claimed that they would not get into the charging business. Do you have a link for this?
GM has agreed to lend their cars/engineers/"good" name to a project. They have made some sort of vapor agreement with Bechtel to cooperate on developing a network....if somebody else is looking for a place to lose a bunch of money. Any time two enormous corporations, with tons of money, want you to pay for them to learn on the job....run!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Here's one:
IMO, though, GM isn't doing much about this. No money invested....

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Any fast charging network will begin with huge upfront costs and operating losses...a fundamental difference being that most charging is done at home.

As annoying as 20 kW rate would be on a road trip...it could be near perfect around town while shopping, catching a movie, dining out, etc.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Any fast charging network will begin with huge upfront costs and operating losses...a fundamental difference being that most charging is done at home.

As annoying as 20 kW rate would be on a road trip...it could be near perfect around town while shopping, catching a movie, dining out, etc.
Medium speed DCFC is the right mix of power, speed, flexibility, and cost to serve as the backbone of a local public charging infrastructure for both opportunity charging for those who have charging access at home and as primary charging mechanism for those who lack dedicated charging access such as apartment dwellers or folks who charge at work.

And it's right on the mark that such charging would generally occur while the driver does some other activity. In such cases the speed isn't as critical as road trip charging, where charging speed is the ultimate measure of utility.

ga2500ev

1 - 11 of 11 Posts