Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan’s Japan Chief Takao Katagiri:

“Combined with those at home, there now are more than 40,000 chargers in Japan, in a way already a denser network than the 34,000 gas stations we have in the country.”

·
Registered
428 Posts
Very interesting. That is a big step in creating the proper infrastructure to facilitate EVs. I question what they mean by "in a way already a denser network than the 34,000 gas station we have in the country."

What do they mean by "in a way"? I don't think that it is actually true that there is a better charging infrastructure than gas station infrastructure in Japan.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If they are counting just the special chargers, then they have the upper hand. But over 60% of homes in the U.S. have an external outlet available, and many of those who don't can use one in a parking garage. So we have millions of "charging stations" for our EVs. As for me, I have two 120 VAC outlets for Level 1 and a dedicated Level 2 (registered at PlugShare.com) for my EV if I can buy one.:)

BTW, in most EVs, including the Volt, the "charger" is in the EV itself as the EVSE is just an intelligent extension.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I suppose these charging stations would be at large parking lots, rest stops, hotels. Places where you are likely to stop after driving quite a while.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they count home installed chargers, a personal gas station if you will. thats where In a Way comes from.. In a way, read the sentence ;):D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts