Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Japans Big 3 Automakers jointly announced their support for Hydrogen in a press conference on July 1.

Held at the epicenter of Japan’s auto business, at the seat of the Japanese manufacturer association JAMA, and sundry other automotive bodies, the three automakers vowed to keep hydrogen fuel stations in Japan open and alive until there is sufficient demand to cover the overhead. Basically, the automakers vowed to spend up to 40 million US$ to defray up to a third of the operating costs of hydrogen fuel stations. This financial support comes on top of that by the Japanese government, which will pay roughly half of what a hydrogen fuel station costs to build.

The outlays will be split among the three automakers according to the numbers of FCV cars they sell. This will shoulder Toyota with most of the cost, while Nissan and Honda will show mostly moral support, at least in the beginning. Toyota is the only company that has released a commercial FCV car, the Mirai, even if it will be limited to homeopathic numbers for the time being. Honda said it will release an FCV next year. Nissan’s lukewarm support of the hydrogen society may result in an FCV by the end of the decade.
Lets see what happens, because the Japanese never do anything just for the sake of it. Not without careful and methodical deliberation.

http://dailykanban.com/2015/07/japans-major-automakers-support-hydrogen-society-some-more-some-less/

·
Registered
428 Posts
It's cool to hear this news since for a while I thought that hydrogen was really only going to be a thing that Toyota is working on. With a broader base of companies committing to it, I see more of an actual future for hydrogen.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have heard anything about Ford, GM, or Chrysler doing things in hydrogen fuel cells. Have you read anything or seen a prototype?

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm only aware that Toyota is making a serious effort, they've been in the news quite a few times over the past month.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm only aware that Toyota is making a serious effort, they've been in the news quite a few times over the past month.
Correct only Toyota for now. BUT, remember who pioneed the hybrid when NO one else was doing it... Toyota is a trend setter, enthusiasts might feel them boring or bland, but you know what most people who buy cars like bland and they certainly dont read car blogs...

Kia-Hyundai are working on something as is VW IIRC...

·
Registered
639 Posts
Exactly, the Prius was the big test that has lasted and expanded to include variants and even is stepping into its next gen. Quite a way to go for Toyota.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What is Kia and Hyundai working on? They aren't known as ones to be on the forefront of new technologies in the industry.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Last I checked they were getting into hybrid tech, not sure if they are into anything else but usually they run behind brands that have done it and proved its viable.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That website is interesting. The main thing that I notice is how the vehicle is only available in California right now, and in California there are only 8 hydrogen fuelling stations currently opened, with 5 more set to open by the end of this year. Even if I lived in California, that just isn't enough infrastructure for me to dive in yet.

very, very cool that the only emission is water.

My only question is how the hydrogen is collected. Is there any environmental harm in that process?

·
Registered
639 Posts
That website is interesting. The main thing that I notice is how the vehicle is only available in California right now, and in California there are only 8 hydrogen fuelling stations currently opened, with 5 more set to open by the end of this year. Even if I lived in California, that just isn't enough infrastructure for me to dive in yet.

very, very cool that the only emission is water.

My only question is how the hydrogen is collected. Is there any environmental harm in that process?
This video from Toyota should give you an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?t=173&v=TFakFh_1XSw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts