Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Josh Tavel, the Chevy Bolts chief engineer, is a real octane head deep down. When he was only 3 years old, he used to sneak into the garage at night and sleep under his fathers Pontiac Trans Am. Personally, always been a huge fan of PMD. When he was in his early 20's, he studied Mechanical Engineering and automotive systems and later on proceeded to work for Derhaag Motorsports. He used to work on race cars for Derek Bell and Ron Fellows. Also helps to know that his first car was a Porsche 944.

He started at GM as a quality engineer at the Wisconsin Plant and kept moving up and became the lead develpment engineer on the Chevy Cruze Diesel. He then became the chief engineer for the Cadillac ELR (didn't go too far). Then proceeded to the Bol.

After all of that, he still remains true to his gearhead nature and owns a "Spec Racer Ford" and a 1970 Datsun 240Z E-Production SCCA race car. He plans on starting a Corvair highly modified build soon. It'll join his two Corvettes in the garage.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-chevrolet-bolt-s-chief-engineer-is-a-proper-gearhead-113741.html

Just goes to show, you don't have to be a full EV guy to appreciate the different aspects of the automotive industry and do well. We all are passionate about certain vehicles, but at the end of the day, a true gear head can appreciate a little of everything.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Josh Tavel, the Chevy Bolts chief engineer, is a real octane head deep down. When he was only 3 years old, he used to sneak into the garage at night and sleep under his fathers Pontiac Trans Am. Personally, always been a huge fan of PMD. When he was in his early 20's, he studied Mechanical Engineering and automotive systems and later on proceeded to work for Derhaag Motorsports. He used to work on race cars for Derek Bell and Ron Fellows. Also helps to know that his first car was a Porsche 944.

He started at GM as a quality engineer at the Wisconsin Plant and kept moving up and became the lead develpment engineer on the Chevy Cruze Diesel. He then became the chief engineer for the Cadillac ELR (didn't go too far). Then proceeded to the Bol.

After all of that, he still remains true to his gearhead nature and owns a "Spec Racer Ford" and a 1970 Datsun 240Z E-Production SCCA race car. He plans on starting a Corvair highly modified build soon. It'll join his two Corvettes in the garage.

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/the-chevrolet-bolt-s-chief-engineer-is-a-proper-gearhead-113741.html

Just goes to show, you don't have to be a full EV guy to appreciate the different aspects of the automotive industry and do well. We all are passionate about certain vehicles, but at the end of the day, a true gear head can appreciate a little of everything.
I'm actually glad they had a "gearhead" as the chief engineer for the Bolt. I doubt we would have got 0-60 in 6.5 seconds (among other things) if it was designed by someone else. He was still constrained with the CUV/hatchback styling though. I wonder if GM will let him design a true "performance" BEV with say a 2 door coupe form factor (a TRUE Model 3 killer).....we know the Bolt's platform could certainly support one. Something like a smaller version of an electric Camaro?!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A smaller coupe EV that looks like a mini Camaro would be cool as heck. Drop that 0-60 to somewhere in the high 5s maybe ?

But ultimately, he definitely did good with what he had to play with. I'm sure there were a good amount of limitations set to what they wanted to achieve and I think the end result was a pretty good outcome. This is just the beginning too

·
Super Moderator
2,561 Posts
I'm a gear head too. I've owned lots vintage cars, some trucks, motorcycles, boats, jet ski and even an airplane. All the oil changes might be why I'm ready for a change!!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I'd like to see what Josh Tavel can do with electric cars if he's not held back by a specific body style. Maybe a BMW i3 competitor!

I'm a gear head too. I've owned lots vintage cars, some trucks, motorcycles, boats, jet ski and even an airplane. All the oil changes might be why I'm ready for a change!!
You're more than a gear head, you're a "everything with an engine" head. :D Any of those still in your stable?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts